As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(March 12th, 2014, 22:25)Oxyphenbutazone Wrote: Without civstats, I'm a little confused. Is the game currently running?

I logged in a few hours ago when I was helping Boldly fix his mod problems, the game was up then. I think Caledorn was giving players a chance to do an initial login to make sure there weren't other startup problems, and then he'll reload to the new version of the map that gives Dhalphir a settler to work with.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

We're still trying to run down a civstats fix too
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(March 12th, 2014, 22:25)Oxyphenbutazone Wrote: Without civstats, I'm a little confused. Is the game currently running?

Its hosted, but needs a restart to fix my settler or lack of. And there's no point doing that until civstats is working
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

There are some wild ideas concerning civstats replacement. IMO realistic options to fix civstats problem in the order of preference:
1. OverloadUT fixes civstats client or delivers the source code so someone else could do it. This is unfortunately not in our hands. I've not heard back from OverLoadUT. At this point we can't rely on this being fixed
2. Hart reveals how Reddit guys did this and we get the source code - I've not heard back from him either so we can't rely on this either
3. We augment the mod so that it gives basic information e.g. in to the file mainly concerning logging in/out and ending turn. Caledorn sets up web service that uses this info.
4. We make our own civstats that reads the UI - Quite a bit work here unless you've done similar things in the past

I could do the base work for #3 just in case we don't get anything else. This would mean spooling the info somewhere so that in case we don't get anything else we could build up the web service application that uses the raw data generated. This would mean couple of days delay for starting this unless a real programmer takes care improving our mod.

I was under the impression that the world size intended was large, not huge. Was I wrong?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(March 13th, 2014, 03:19)Qgqqqqq Wrote: I was under the impression that the world size intended was large, not huge. Was I wrong?

I don't remember that it was suggested this time. After all, this game is genuinely huge crazyeye
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(March 13th, 2014, 01:20)plako Wrote: 1. OverloadUT fixes civstats client or delivers the source code so someone else could do it. This is unfortunately not in our hands. I've not heard back from OverLoadUT. At this point we can't rely on this being fixed

A quick Google search shows he has a very active Twitter and Youtube account. I tried tweeting at him just now.

(March 13th, 2014, 01:20)plako Wrote: 3. We augment the mod so that it gives basic information e.g. in to the file mainly concerning logging in/out and ending turn. Caledorn sets up web service that uses this info.

I could do the base work for #3 just in case we don't get anything else. This would mean spooling the info somewhere so that in case we don't get anything else we could build up the web service application that uses the raw data generated. This would mean couple of days delay for starting this unless a real programmer takes care improving our mod.

The web service application would just be a web application that reads the log files generated by the augmented mod and displays the pertinent information, right? That should be possible to set up quickly (and dirtily). I spoke to Caledorn and he can has both a windows and a linux web server on his pitboss server.
I have to run.

(March 13th, 2014, 10:24)novice Wrote: The web service application would just be a web application that reads the log files generated by the augmented mod and displays the pertinent information, right? That should be possible to set up quickly (and dirtily). I spoke to Caledorn and he can has both a windows and a linux web server on his pitboss server.

Ah, quick and dirty indeed if you can actually run the web server on the same machine as the PB game! The dirtiest way I can think of would be to actually log entries like <tr><td>{{ Time }}</td><td>{{ Player }}</td><td>{{ Event }}</td></tr>, and then the web "service" just echos the last n rows of that file, surrounded by <table>...</table>. rolf

So, I realize we'd prefer to have it automated, but could we start playing with a simpler solution? Open a Google Spreadsheet, with a row for each team and a column for each turn, and when you play your turn, go write 'done' in the appropriate cell.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker