As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

You're right but you can`t always know when you`re in a settling race. There are other actions you can take around a turn roll that could be unfair as well, even if you don`t realize it when you do them because you don`t have the information your rival does about his unit positioning, etc.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Yeah, never double move settlers/military units outside of your borders. I think it's okay to double move a settler if it's travelling wholly within your borders and isn't planning on settling during the move or the next turn.

Better to be on the safe side though, and just wait for your neighbour(s) to end turn.

I don't understand the need for peace time turn splits. Play when you can unless you're planning to declare war. You could consider keeping the turn order, if massive stack of units were just landed on your border, but then again the one bringing those units would probably be better of declaring a turn earlier to simplify things.

If the current turn roll time is causing problems, just leave the game paused for a few hours one turn, and the roll time moves. If you're one of the last to play and you don't want to move the roll time forward, you can play without ending turn, leave the timer running, and post here that you're intentionally doing that.
I have to run.

But what about all you game starved people who are chanting "one more turn, one more turn!". What you suggest is heresy, blasphemy even! lol

Plako I'm normally with you on the peace turn splits thing, it does feel unnecessary usually. I'm trying to be abundantly cautious about fairness given the shape of this map. Maybe too much, I dunno. Anyway, I went ahead and played two turns last night so maybe I won't be under the gun next turn when the timer counts down, maybe the turn will roll at a slightly different time and I won't be right at the end of the turn now.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(June 18th, 2014, 23:10)plako Wrote: I don't understand the need for peace time turn splits. Play when you can unless you're planning to declare war. You could consider keeping the turn order, if massive stack of units were just landed on your border, but then again the one bringing those units would probably be better of declaring a turn earlier to simplify things.

This, provided it's not a settler race or a disputed hut.

(June 18th, 2014, 17:56)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Either the turn needs to be rolling at a different time or I'm going to have to play a double turn around the roll, which I have no idea if that's fair to do or not.

I've always played two in a row when I end turn last (which has happened twice I believe). I don't see any reason not to.

Darrell

(June 19th, 2014, 09:09)darrelljs Wrote:
(June 18th, 2014, 17:56)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Either the turn needs to be rolling at a different time or I'm going to have to play a double turn around the roll, which I have no idea if that's fair to do or not.

I've always played two in a row when I end turn last (which has happened twice I believe). I don't see any reason not to.

Darrell

In normal circumstances, this is not a problem. However, if you are competing for anything (settling race, hut, unit moves in a conflict) it is problematic. Rely on your best judgment and when in doubt, just ask a lurker. There's no need to constantly rely on splits IMO unless there is a specific reason not to.

(June 19th, 2014, 09:36)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: if you are competing for anything (settling race, hut, unit moves in a conflict) it is problematic.

Well, the rule is:

Quote:Double moves: Don't be a jerk. Peace time or when you're not planning to start war play as soon as it is possible and most times no need to be taking into account potential double moves. During war preparation turn and war times double moves are not allowed.

To me, if you are manipulating the situation so you can play first for advantage, that certainly breaks "don't be a jerk". If the turn naturally ends with you, however, I don't see any problem with playing back-to-back even if that means you win a Settler race.

Darrell

The unfortunate bottom line to being able to conveniently play both last on the previous and first on the subsequent turn in a competitive situation is that it is more likely that someone may seek to, ah, engineer a circumstance by which he becomes the last to play and then the first. This is a jerk move, if it could be prover perhaps, but I think it sets a bad precedent for other competitive situations and is generally best avoided altogether. Just my $ .02.