As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Oh, and just in case there are some other people here who have networking as one of their main expertise areas (I do myself, which is why this is - to put it mildly - quite frustrating that I can't figure out), here's a basic overview of my network chain:

Device 1: Fibre Optic Router/Modem put into Bridge mode connects to the wall outlet
Device 2: A separate computer with 3 NIC's installed is running pfSense, and handling the DHCP assigment of my IP that my ISP provides to the WAN interface. The two other NIC's are respectively connected to the network switch, and the WIFI access point
Device 3: The actual server, running Windows Server 2012 R2. This server is connected to the network switch (surprise, surprise!), like the rest of the computers on the wired LAN, and runs various services I use on the LAN (like the DHCP server, DNS, DC, Group Policy etc). This is the computer I run the various Pitbosses on, and it's a pretty powerful machine with a quadcore i5 3 GHz CPU and 8GB RAM installed.

Then of course I have my personal workstation. I connect to the server using Remote Desktop to administer stuff from this, and I also do more or less everything else I need/want too from this computer (including playing Civ).

I suppose I could test how disabling the internal firewall on the PDC would affect the bounce issues, seeing as the pfSense router should be handling any firewall issues from the outside - but that would definitely be breaking Best Practices by a pretty huge step! I can't imagine anyone wanting to compromise my internal network, nor that anyone would have much interest in compromising it at all, so I am not very concerned about it - and TBH if someone is able to get past the pfSense firewall, the internal Windows firewall is really peanuts in comparison anyways, considering pfSense is one of the most secure firewalls you can get being based on FreeBSD and pf.. tongue

I am open to any suggestions, ideas, thoughts.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

(July 30th, 2014, 20:24)Cheater Hater Wrote:
(July 30th, 2014, 18:50)GermanJojo Wrote: The turn is set to roll before 24 full hours due to the need to pause for somebody every single turn. Ideally the turn takes exactly 24h and rolls at the exact same time every single day; notice that whenever it goes off pace (e.g. turns 100 and 108) then we end up missing a full day shortly afterwards.
Not quite--it's set that way because the game automatically pauses whenever someone joins the game. This adjustment generally happens in all the games, but it's more noticeable here because of the sheer number of players.

I just had a weird occurrence--I got stuck on "Connecting to host" while the tracker said no one was in the game. I waited a bit, and it turns out dtay is now in the game--is getting stuck on "Connecting to host" the default behavior while someone else is connecting, or is that new since the problems have started?

(and no, no one needs to hurry for me--I've already played and just want to change a small thing--I just thought that any new information could possibly help with troubleshooting the problem smile )
Edit: It appears the Caledorn just rebooted the server--ignore my problems tongue

I just got the same phenomena when logging in, (tried twice, actually got in on the 2nd login as CH said). I know nothing of servers or what not, just mentioning.
Fear cuts deeper than swords.

Here's a question I don't think has been asked yet--is the bouncing happening on your other Pitbosses (are you running any other than this one and PB20?), or just this one?

Caledorn is hosting PB20 and PB21 here, also another at CFC I believe. Will check with someone from PB20 who I know I could connect to before when they're around.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(July 30th, 2014, 20:47)Cheater Hater Wrote: Here's a question I don't think has been asked yet--is the bouncing happening on your other Pitbosses (are you running any other than this one and PB20?), or just this one?

Good question!

The fact that people are able to connect to another of my hosted Pitbosses while someone is already connected to one also shows that the problem is related to each game separately (aka it is a port dependent issue, and not a universal one).
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

(July 30th, 2014, 18:50)GermanJojo Wrote: The turn is set to roll before 24 full hours due to the need to pause for somebody every single turn. Ideally the turn takes exactly 24h and rolls at the exact same time every single day; notice that whenever it goes off pace (e.g. turns 100 and 108) then we end up missing a full day shortly afterwards.

The missed days are not due to the turn timer going beyond 24 hours though. It's due to people missing turns for various reasons (server downtime, turnsplits, being bounced during a short play window, etc) and needing the turn to roll at a time that suits LP if we want him to be able to sub in for players missing their turns.

(July 30th, 2014, 20:23)Caledorn Wrote:
(July 30th, 2014, 16:28)Azza Wrote:
(July 30th, 2014, 10:27)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: It's definitely not fair for players to miss a turn for a technical reason. And given war turn splits that means people may not be able to play in a suitable period of time without a traffic jam like we had at the end of last turn. I'd hesitate to extend the timer because that encourages people to delay playing. Maybe we hold extending the timer as the reserve action if this becomes an ongoing trends? I do like having a turn to play every day though and would rather not give that up until absolutely necessary.

We still need to extend the timer so that it's not rolling before 24 hours though. I'm pretty sure the turn would've rolled at about 22 hours last turn.

I extended it by two hours before the turn rolled. It's probably a bit more than 24h in practice now, especially with all the bouncing, but better like that.

Hopefully this means no need for pauses for Parkin to play the unplayed turns after the 24 hours rolls.

(July 30th, 2014, 20:46)dtay Wrote:
(July 30th, 2014, 20:24)Cheater Hater Wrote:
Not quite--it's set that way because the game automatically pauses whenever someone joins the game. This adjustment generally happens in all the games, but it's more noticeable here because of the sheer number of players.

I just had a weird occurrence--I got stuck on "Connecting to host" while the tracker said no one was in the game. I waited a bit, and it turns out dtay is now in the game--is getting stuck on "Connecting to host" the default behavior while someone else is connecting, or is that new since the problems have started?

(and no, no one needs to hurry for me--I've already played and just want to change a small thing--I just thought that any new information could possibly help with troubleshooting the problem smile )
Edit: It appears the Caledorn just rebooted the server--ignore my problems tongue

I just got the same phenomena when logging in, (tried twice, actually got in on the 2nd login as CH said). I know nothing of servers or what not, just mentioning.

That was because of the reboot, yes. smile

I have disabled the internal firewall on the server temporarily to see if that solves the problem.

Edited to delete a quote from 3 months ago that STILL shows up on my mobile when replying ... rant

(July 30th, 2014, 20:33)Caledorn Wrote: Oh, and just in case there are some other people here who have networking as one of their main expertise areas (I do myself, which is why this is - to put it mildly - quite frustrating that I can't figure out), here's a basic overview of my network chain:

Device 1: Fibre Optic Router/Modem put into Bridge mode connects to the wall outlet
Device 2: A separate computer with 3 NIC's installed is running pfSense, and handling the DHCP assigment of my IP that my ISP provides to the WAN interface. The two other NIC's are respectively connected to the network switch, and the WIFI access point
Device 3: The actual server, running Windows Server 2012 R2. This server is connected to the network switch (surprise, surprise!), like the rest of the computers on the wired LAN, and runs various services I use on the LAN (like the DHCP server, DNS, DC, Group Policy etc). This is the computer I run the various Pitbosses on, and it's a pretty powerful machine with a quadcore i5 3 GHz CPU and 8GB RAM installed.

Then of course I have my personal workstation. I connect to the server using Remote Desktop to administer stuff from this, and I also do more or less everything else I need/want too from this computer (including playing Civ).

I suppose I could test how disabling the internal firewall on the PDC would affect the bounce issues, seeing as the pfSense router should be handling any firewall issues from the outside - but that would definitely be breaking Best Practices by a pretty huge step! I can't imagine anyone wanting to compromise my internal network, nor that anyone would have much interest in compromising it at all, so I am not very concerned about it - and TBH if someone is able to get past the pfSense firewall, the internal Windows firewall is really peanuts in comparison anyways, considering pfSense is one of the most secure firewalls you can get being based on FreeBSD and pf.. tongue

I am open to any suggestions, ideas, thoughts.

Did you try unplugging the toaster and then plugging it back in? I bet that's yer problem right there...

neenerneener

(July 30th, 2014, 22:06)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: Did you try unplugging the toaster and then plugging it back in? I bet that's yer problem right there...

neenerneener

Oh my god. I am such an idiot. Of course, it's gotta be the toaster! I'll go unplug it, while I put on some Will Smith (Gettin' jiggy with it sounds right here), and my server will disappear in a cloud of black smoke!

In other news... I laughed at your joke. tongue