As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Whoever was bouncing off me, I'm out now.

It happened four times while I played my turn. Sorry. This never happened before last week...
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(July 30th, 2014, 20:49)Lord Parkin Wrote: Caledorn is hosting PB20 and PB21 here, also another at CFC I believe. Will check with someone from PB20 who I know I could connect to before when they're around.

I cannot connect to players in that game whom I could connect to prior to this issue. I can't connect to anyone else at this point.

Caledorn, do you have any free Civ ports available (or are you hosting the maximum number of games)? You're hosting this game on port 2058, so do you think it could possibly make any difference at all to try on another unused pitboss port (2062, or whatever you may not currently be running another game on)....

..Well crap, just read wetbandit's last post, if there's a problem in other games that would point away from anything specific to PB18 and back toward the general environment. It could be a WAN change, or routing change, or something completely beyond your control....

We can go with the old process of elimination troubleshooting method, depending on how much frustration you feel like enduring. If you take down PB18 does performance (connectivity/bouncing, etc) improve in PB20 and/or PB21? If those are down do people experience problems connecting to PB18? Obviously we don't know the answers to all of these and it would take some dedicated effort to burning through all the different contingencies. It does get to feeling like you're doing actual work on what is supposed to be your free time hobby. bow banghead

But yeah, it's probably your toaster. twirl

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Might want to check if other Pitboss hosts have had similar issues, just to confirm that it's something specific to Caledorn's hosting. I've PM'd sunrise to see if he has any current games running, or if he can set up a quick test game to verify whether 2+ players can connect simultaneously. smile
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

I was hosting 13 but it ended. I still have 17 and 19 IIRC. If there is player overlap feel free to test, otherwise I can put a test game up tomorrow for you all.

So in a worst case scenario could you take over hosting pb18 sunrise? That's if the problem isn't happening to you too? It sounds like cal's other games are small enough that bouncing isn't an issue, but it'll kill 18...

(July 30th, 2014, 23:29)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Caledorn, do you have any free Civ ports available (or are you hosting the maximum number of games)? You're hosting this game on port 2058, so do you think it could possibly make any difference at all to try on another unused pitboss port (2062, or whatever you may not currently be running another game on)....

..Well crap, just read wetbandit's last post, if there's a problem in other games that would point away from anything specific to PB18 and back toward the general environment. It could be a WAN change, or routing change, or something completely beyond your control....

We can go with the old process of elimination troubleshooting method, depending on how much frustration you feel like enduring. If you take down PB18 does performance (connectivity/bouncing, etc) improve in PB20 and/or PB21? If those are down do people experience problems connecting to PB18? Obviously we don't know the answers to all of these and it would take some dedicated effort to burning through all the different contingencies. It does get to feeling like you're doing actual work on what is supposed to be your free time hobby. bow banghead

But yeah, it's probably your toaster. twirl

I am happy to test different solutions, as this is going to be an inconvenience in the future as well, so don't worry about me feeling it's like work. "Worst" case scenario is that I learn something useful I can bring into other scenarios that are similar.

Speaking of which. If there are two players around that know they have been able to connect simultaneously before this issue occurred that have time to test connecting to me at the same time while I run a packet sniffer sometime today, that would be awesome.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

I'm out..
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Roger.
And now I'm out, someone.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

Now we just need Novice to put in a queuing system on his civstats tool, so I can add myself to the "waiting to play" list, and when the app detects the current player has finished the turn and logged out, the next player in the queue will be emailed... I... _think_ I'm joking. lol