As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Ride to ruin and the world's ending! (TBS, Becko & Joao)

Mmm, I love Cavs, here's my opening odds, against a hill city with 60% culture:
[Image: r7D7fd7.jpg]

And the Psychic civilisation is destroyed:

[Image: Rj3k37n.jpg]

GG Oxy!

Thoth is researching Democracy, looks like I lose out on SoL. frown Comm got a GS on the interturn for Edu, Gaspar got another GE. Couldn't I have got one instead of my low odds GA and GP? Ah well, I think the Kremlin is still safe.

Demos at the start of the next turn:
[Image: g5tDYDH.jpg]

Rather complicated military situation while my units are healing and Gaspar has access to my roads but I think I managed to cover everything. Gurton Buster is still in revolt and open to me too ...

I love cavalries as well, clearly best units with the longer life in civ4.Impresive play,i wanted to ask did you played MP civ somewere before RB?

Spoiler: TBS is the Civ 4 MP equivalent of Tyler Durden. He's always been there playing and beating the brains out of people, you just didn't know it. And I guess I wasn't supposed to say that, because the first rule is....

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I wouldn't have much MP experience pre-RB, just a few Gamespy sessions with my brother and some friends.

Or at least that's my cover story. wink

[Image: cEPLEdP.jpg]

I declared war on Gaspar, moving my cavs to threaten Gurton Buster(now Remus). Most of them are already healed thanks to my GG. Unfortunately the borders on his other two cities popped EoT, so they're safe for the moment. I'm also threatening his island city and I left 10 Rifles I think to guard the old Mayan capital. Gurton Buster is on a hill, but no culture defences, so my cavs get great odds. The other cities have some culture but no hill. That's ignoring the fact that the majority of his units are mounted and don't get any bonuses.

I then offered peace for River Styx. I think it's a very good deal for them, so they should accept. It's 1 size 1 city for 10 turns of peace with a giant army on your doorstep. They can send some Knights to pick off some dtay cities before Comm gets them all. They can delay more military builds until they hit Rifling. They could even delay Rifling a little and grab another econ tech.

For me, it's also a nice deal. The city site itself isn't great, but it's main problem is a lack of food, alleviated with Sushi. It also has another fish for Sushi. And of course, it really improves my defensive position. Gaspar has already invested a reasonable amount in military, at the least I want to make sure Thoth has to do the same. Then I hope Comm will have to as well, by virtue of two strong neighbours. Alternately, I take a lot of land from Thoth, that will work too. wink The only other site I would really want is Gaspar's size 9 tundra island city. That looks to have some food and water to work, not much else. Maybe I should have pushed for that too, but it didn't seem critical and I'm trying not to piss them off too much. There were a couple of random units I could snipe, but didn't for this reason. I think their position is strong enough that they won't dedicate they're game to revenge. They would have forced me to keep a strong garrison at the border anyway, they're doing that in the west and that is easier to do in this scenario. Guess we'll see what happens.

Lookin' good! thumbsup

How many rice and seafood do you have? Gotta be a ton with that huge empire.

And how many hammers are in the SoL so far?? More than a GE's worth yet?

(September 21st, 2014, 18:11)The Black Sword Wrote: I wouldn't have much MP experience pre-RB, just a few Gamespy sessions with my brother and some friends.

Or at least that's my cover story. wink

You have a lot of MP Wesnoth experience though, right? Do you think any of that has transferred over?

Quote:And how many hammers are in the SoL so far?? More than a GE's worth yet?

Damn, I had totally forgotten that a GE only gives a certain number of hammers. I was assuming he'd just auto-build it. You probably shouldn't have said that Joey ...
I'll have to check, I think I was planning for about 500 failgold out of the thing. Combined with my upcoming GA, I may have a chance.

Quote:How many rice and seafood do you have? Gotta be a ton with that huge empire.

I haven't counted up the rice and seafood, just gone into the corp advisor which handily tells me +11 food per city at the moment from Sushi. nod

Quote:You have a lot of MP Wesnoth experience though, right? Do you think any of that has transferred over?

A little bit would transfer over. Wesnoth is almost entirely about combat though, at least compared to Civ, and even then the combat systems are very different. The most straightforward application would be in early game combat I suppose. There hasn't been too much of that in this game though, it was probably helpful in PBEM53 against Azza and PB13 vs dtay. It's likely that if you have the skills for one, you'll be good at the other but I don't think you could train for one with the other, if that makes sense. Perhaps a more subtle point is that you win in wesnoth by killing your opponent, whereas that's not necessary(though pretty likely) in civ. So I might have less inhibitions about attacking people compared to a random newcomer.

Oh, sorry. frown I didn't even think of that as that obscure a mechanic... everyone's been burned at least once with this, the first time they try to rush the SoL in a single player game, right? Not just me?

Yeah, it's happened to me too, I remembered when you brought it up, wasn't thinking before. Actually, thinking about it, I doubt any harm is done. I've been putting pretty much full production in in the meantime for failgold. Once I noticed that Thoth didn't complete it the first turn after Demo I would have figured it out, or at least figured I was in a straight forward race.