As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

I wouldn't have noticed that.

lol

But I did, so no harm done. I did not bother responding in the morning on my way to work, but if OH had started planning immediate Cyneheard invasion I would have stopped him.. Maybe.. hammer It was just too much smoke for OH at 2 AM. Or did you outsource reporting for Young Harry? mischief
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Actually, I've been wanting to know Young Harry's thoughts on this whole situation the last little bit; I meant to ask about it in our last chat. (Actually I suspect it would be something to the effect of hammer with his little fists.)

There would be some fairly high-pitched squeals, then he'd lunge at the nearest War Elephant and try to eat it. After a few seconds he'd get bored and drape something over his head, but by then the Welly would be unusable and covered in gunge. I don't know why we haven't deployed him already...

Yep, sounds like about what we're trying to do. Glad to hear our strategy meets with approval.

Ouch, Mardoc killed four of our knights - at 67%, 69%, 77% and 77% before losing a 67% roll. He must have given five of them 4XP each with the Great General to get formation. To come out of this even we need to kill the injured Wellys before they can heal or hide.

So are those acceptable losses or have we been a bit headstrong? The capital has a catapult as well as Longbow, Axe and Warrior and there is another Welly and a HA in range of THHill. I think we have another three or four healthy knights to add to the hill, but with the server playing up I'm not sure when we'll get our chance to play...

Did we not start moving our maces up?

What are our odds?

This is the tipping point. Either he's exhausted himself counterattacking us and we have just enough to break through, or we come up short and have to retreat, and start all over again. In either case, Harry, I'd get those knight builds a-queueing; you're going to need them.

Annoying. Not really the fact that Mardoc attacked out, but the fact that we were once again on the wrong side of RNG. (It was roughly 50/50 whether Mardoc wins 4 or 3 of those battles and the amount of hits that his winning WEs took is the really disappointing part. As a reminder, there was also the random WE that took and won a 26 % battle against our knight and we lost more knights than we should have when taking Orange). Btw, did I screw up when using Cyneheard's combat calculator or did you forget to promote our 10 XP knight into Formation? I think we should have had odds in the first fight?

Anyways, these bad results from last couple of turns have turned our position into a bit uncomfortable. I haven't checked the situation in-game, but assuming our bad luck does not continue (or we would even get a couple of good rolls, it's about time!) and we can kill Mardoc's highty promoted WEs and cover the hill with couple of fresh units those losses are still semi-acceptable though and we get roughly an even trade if we remember that these were Mardoc's GG-powered forces. Even trades are not really what we want, but in the end they are at least enough for us to win this war.

@Hydra: Last turn we would not have been able to cover our cats if we had moved them forward, and IIRC mace was not quite in range to move forward. If things go well this turn with those WEs, we start moving 1-movers towards Infrared this turn. Reg tipping point: Mardoc is obviously throwing everything against us and in that sense if we can kill the units in this area things look pretty solid. However, he has 2-pop whippable LBs, which means that it will still take a good while and a decent amount of losses before we have completely eliminated Mardoc. (Our resource advantage at this point is so big that I don't think we can screw this up so bad that we would not be able to conquer Mardoc, the question is just how fast and with how big losses. In vacuum though, if dtay/pindicator/Cyneheard/BGN just screwing with us the world looks of course different)

Semi-available/semi-busy today.. crazyeye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I think I promoted all the Knights that I could - checking Cynheard's calculator a C2 Welly with +75% beats a C2 Knight with +25% frown perhaps you didn't have 75% on the Welly?

I wonder if we should be setting Azza's recently-captured lands to produce Knights for us rather than getting their infra back in place...

This turn we'll have a Pike 1E of Broccoli and can upgrade a spear inside Broccoli. If the Welly-bashing goes well we can then move our cat stack under cover of a Mace and an Axe or two... I'm probably not going to be around until this evening, but I dunno if the game will be back up before then anyway.

(September 27th, 2014, 05:16)Old Harry Wrote: I think I promoted all the Knights that I could - checking Cynheard's calculator a C2 Welly with +75% beats a C2 Knight with +25% frown perhaps you didn't have 75% on the Welly?

Ok, I found out what was the reason for this. This is actually pretty weird. If C2 Formation knight attacks a C2 Formation WE, knight has the odds. If WE attacks, WE has the odds. It sounds weird (at least to me) as neither of them gets defensive bonuses, but the structure of the formula that calculates the modified strength causes that. If knight attacks it's 12 vs 11.9, if WE attacks it's 8.4 vs 7.69 (attacker first in both cases). When quickly testing this last turn, I did not realize that there might be such a big difference (or difference at all) as nobody gets defensive bonuses and I had our knight selected as the attacker. Well, upgrading the knight into formation was the right call anyways, so in that sense no harm done, but pity that we were just on the wrong side of the jumping point in that fight.

--------

If our WE-bashing goes well I don't see us needing too many pikes, so if we upgrade something, maybe axe/HA is a better candidate?

And yup, let's not product knights in too excessive way so that our new Azza cities will take forever before getting up to speed, but overflowing from infra-build into knight and 2-pop whipping one in several places might be the way to go. After the attack of this turn (RNG, please do not screw us again) we probably also have a better idea on how many more units we will need in order to make decent progress.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3