As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

FTL - Faster Than Light

Nice Jowy. I haven't seen that yet.

Is it me or do you basically have to have drones to win on hard? It seems nearly impossible to win without a hull drone or missile defense since you run into so many 4 damage missile ships in the last 2 sectors.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

Okay, so if you have mind control + teleporter, you can kidnap crew and murder them on your ship.

We are the Borg and we are hilarious.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

Lol, that works? That's cheesy and cool.

I love Jowy getting that bomb event with the Engi B, wow, talk about added drama. I've never even seen that event.

For the final boss, one thing I've done is first disable the weapons with boarding (except the triple laser center left). Then, with the ship harmless, mind controlling one of the crew causes the others to run in and attack him until he's dead. Then repeat until there's only 1-2 crew left, which can be finished off with boarding or weapons. The second and third phases are kind of a joke when there's only crew in one of the weapons, and there's nobody to repair shields, etc. (Killing all the crew is a bad idea because the ship turns automated and starts self-repairing.)

After many hours, I think I've overplayed this game now because winning on normal feels pretty routine and formulaic once the formulas are known. And yeah, a defense drone seems basically mandatory to win without good luck in item drops. And Defense 2 seems kind of overpowered, in my opinion. Even enemy ships with it are among the hardest to defeat because it shoots down a good percentage of your laser shots.

A lucky and exceptional build can do without the drone control but it has to have a feature like extreme DPS, maybe with cloaking, where you can hit weapons immediately before the missiles wreck you too much. Or bomb right through with Breach 2 or other bombs. Or a Mantis B build can do it, because 4 mantises kill all. The augment that gives hull every time you pick up scrap helps.

I keep getting slaughtered by the drone spam. The only way to beat that on hard is with brute force fire power.

Can you not stealth away from the spam attack? (and/or carry anti drone drones)

I usually don't go for stealth actually, I did it once upon a time on normal though and it worked well.

Maybe its the fact that I bought a vulcan. Those things are nice but burst/power bar is much more important than high DPS in the boss fight.

I can win without stealth or drones, but my playstyle requires boarding, which is why I like the Mantis ships hammer.

Darrell

TorNis on Twitch is trying to beat the game on hard difficulty with every layout of every ship.
http://www.twitch.tv/tornis

I just achieved the worst possible legit (not just suffocating your crew at start) score in FTL of 20! Jumped to a beacon with the Engi B ship and lost my only crewmember in the event.
"We are open to all opinions as long as they are the same as ours."

I am just going to bump this in order to mention that RB's Sullla has a growing FTL section featuring some excellent reports on his website:

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/FTL/fasterthanlight.html