As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

jive on the Internet.

Turn 249

I suspect from Boldly's naming scheme that two of these tanks are commando-ready. He also got an event about flying solo over the north pole - what does that mean? He's started investing EPs in us and a Galleon has stopped off in one of our cities this turn, so I'm expecting some poisoning missions soon. We'll put a spy in each of our spaceship cities to give a bit of protection.

This turn we shot down three fighters and intercepted two fighters and a bomber. We lost three fighters and took some collateral damage that we didn't immediately heal. Our northern strike force will be in range of Basilisk Caves next turn, where it'll be able to blockade for about two turns before being wiped out by the 4 Battleships in place and due for completion in the next couple of turns. Is that any use to us? Joey started putting EPs into us so we've lost sight on the area. I moved an airship up here to give us intel next turn before I realised we get Satellites eot - does that just reveal the map or does it give visibility too?

Oh, and I particularly like this - nod - is it designed for water-walking SMEG mod workers?

Krill is giving TBS rice (which is stopping him lose 2 food per turn), so I cancelled our oil and coal deals and then offered just oil for rice. Hopefully he gets the message...

Then I had a look at attacking Sablestone next turn. As I couldn't be bothered to build a sandbox I thought I'd just see how a bombardment campaign would go. First I sent five fighters in to use up the Anti-Tank's air defence shots - we got unlucky and lost two planes.

Then we should probably carry on with fighter strikes until the Machine guns get their air defence shots off too as too many Bombers had to abort. In the end we're getting odds of 30-40% with Marines and 75% with a CR3 Tank (Tanks can't take Amphibious frown). I hope that next turn with more Bomber hits and the guided missiles that I didn't want to waste this turn we'll get 80-90% odds with Tanks and 60% with Marines, letting us thin out the defenders a bit. But I'm not too confident. Backup plan is to hit Arcanclave instead if he moves units out of that city, since the MoM is vulnerable to a mere six commandos.

Demos.

Satellites is just revealing the map.

Turn 250

We have satellites and BRick is right - it just gives us sight on some ice that we hadn't bothered to uncover before frown. Doesn't even reveal recently-captured cities and culture... We're Superconductors and Satellites ahead of BGN and he can now begin Apollo while we complete it this turn, I'm confident we'll beat him in spite of his production powerhouse and the 650 EPs he's putting into us each turn yikes. But in the grand RB tradition of doubting your own chances I think TBS is going to beat us with the culture victory. We'll get sight on Basilisk Caves again in the next two turns to allow an estimate of how long it'll take. Our main hope is that Elensefar spawns something that isn't an Artist this turn...

We shot down two Fighters and lost three this turn. Up north our detachment of Destroyers isn't going to get very far disrupting Basilisk Caves - TBS has just enough ships around that he can kill our expeditionary force in one turn. I held position to heal for a turn and wait to see if anything else presents itself.

Down south (relatively), following last turn's bombardment TBS created a GG medic to heal everything in Sablestone frown. With all that stuff packed in there I moved our fleet into Browner to fork Lashing and Arcanclave (again!) instead. If he lets us get our commandos ashore then we can capture the MoM and launch our golden age next turn. If not I guess we just keep probing.

Krill offered rice-oil back but he hasn't stopped his deal with TBS so I didn't accept. I demanded rice from him instead. He's probably got no idea what I'm trying to tell him smoke.

In other news, we'll be able to steal Liberalism from dtay in a couple of turns smile.

Demos and Victory

Turn 251

I was a bit worried I hadn't left enough units in Revis to protect our boats and planes, but instead of attacking TBS has emptied Lashing...

We can capture it, but then we'd need 23 Commandos to win every fight to take the MoM. We've only actually got 19 and half of them are Cavalry, so wouldn't be likely to win anyway smoke. Burning the city would be a useful way to strand his navy (which he moved NW - off the top of this picture) though so we'll be sacrificing a Marine to take it. Then I guess we'll shimmy to the east again and see if we can hit Sablestone.

We get 85 gold from capturing Lashing and burn it even with the Bunker, Granary, Lighthouse, Drydock and Forge... Then the Marine is deleted.

So at the risk of flogging a dead horse I went back to Sablestone. We only have one Transport in range, but with a lot of planes nearby and only a SAM Inf and one MG we can certainly pound the defenders and hopefully get four kills.

We lost one plane to the SAM, then 8 Bombers dealt 40 splashes of damage to the units in Sablestone. Then 18 Fighters and a Guided Missile do some more pounding, but even so our CR2 Tanks only get 74%, mostly because of not being able to take Amphi...
CR2 Tank vs 65HP CG2 Inf 74%... WIN (3 hits)
CR2 Tank vs 54HP CG2 Marine 85%... FLAWLESS WIN and 10 XP smile
CR2 Tank vs 64HP CG2 Inf 75%... LOSS (2 hits) frown
C3 Amphi Inf vs 64HP D2 MG 74%... LOSS (1 hit) rant

Well that's annoying frown.

Our tech tree end date is approx eot263 so I'm going to launch our golden age on t253 or 254 just in case that shaves some time off. To that end I've started employing scientists over coast trying to empty the food boxes of our cities before they switch back to coast where they'll get an extra commerce during the GA. Doing that gives us an extra 81 gpt and 732 bpt making our 100% rate 9320 bpt - sustainable for the next five turns, while our B/E rate is about 7000 bpt at 65%. I know Fintourist was assuming the GA starting on t250, but extra hammers into the five Casings and the last two builds - Stasis and Life Support will be very useful.

If we win the Fusion Engineer what do we do with him? He could help Zucchini with the life support if we settle him or bulb Robotics to get draftable Mech Inf to help kill TBS...

Demos, victory and power

Turn 252

Drunk. 2am. One picture.

I guess that's good?

Perhaps, perhaps not. He has enough great artists on ice that he'll either need 14000 or 18000 culture, so if the Great Person from Elsenfar (which didn't actually pop last turn - it's got another three turns on it) is an Artist (85% chance) he can finish on about t269 and he'll win, while if it isn't he'll finish t277 and we'll win. Unless I've miscounted how many artists he's generated (which I may have, because his NE city is currently working merchants...)

Anyway, I *think* we need to do what we can to launch our spaceship ~t262 (or earlier) as Fintourist estimates, but get a flotilla of boats poised to invade with everything we have as soon as we can afford to rush-buy stuff. But even if that's t260 it'll still take 3-4 turns to get units up to TBS's land and then we have to slog through six turns worth of culture to hit Elsenfar, so that's a very tight schedule, without much if any tech lead. smoke

I guess we just didn't forsee how hard culture victory whack-a-mole was going to be...

Turn 253

I'm on an aged laptop, which may explain the odd messages I got on login (both times I logged in) and does explain why the turn took even longer than normal bang.

I launched our four man golden age pushing our 100% science rate to 10000 btp. We're due to get Fission eot253, then be 600 beakers short of Fusion eot255, so I switched 200 gold of wealth to be research builds in spite of this being strictly less optimal. Unfortunately three of the five spies sent to relieve dtay of Liberalism have been captured, so it'll be another turn before we can adopt free religion frown.

TBS's other culture cities are about 19 turns from popping, so its looking close - I think we're launching t265, which means something needs to be done. hammer smoke

Re: your question on the GE a couple posts ago - does settling him improve the spaceship launch time? Otherwise, drafting mech infantry earlier sounds very helpful, whether you're attacked or attacking. Sounds like an excellent side-benefit.