As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Game mechanics

Tweaked this a little while implementing it, it became no effect for the first 6 damage, then 1 point ignoring defense at 7, and 1 more for each 2 damage dealt.

What this means in practice...

To block 6 damage, you need 20 shields on average (without a + To Def bonus, for simplicity, count each + To Def as an additional 5 shields instead as that's the net effect of it above 15 shields. Invulnerability is roughly equivalent to 6 shields.)
20 shields is pretty much unlikely on anything except hero units, unless the wizard is massively stacking buffs from the Life realm. As that has already been established to be overpowered, it doesn't matter if it is affected - in fact, having a normal unit not take damage from a colossus is wrong in the first place, buffs or not.

Above that, you only need half as many additional shields to block damage as usual, because the other half of the damage will be ignoring it anyway. As you generally need to aim for higher defense than the attacker's attack to account for unlucky rolls, this still means you'll need about as many shields as the attacker's attack power, so shields won't be useless, even very high amounts of it. For example a 25 sword +3 Hit creature deals 15 damage. While 5 of those are minimal damage, to block the remaining 10, at least 33 shields or equivalent effects are needed on average rolls, but to be safe against "good" rolls, even more is useful. Meaning stacking lots of defense still has value - at least up to ~40 is useful against unbuffed very rare creatures, more against buffed ones or Great Drakes.

I'd like to add, I wouldn't change great drakes with thus system in place. 35 should be plenty.

Just finished testing all the creatures, yes, Great Drakes at 35 were about right. While my hero stack still won, if I had any fewer heroes, weaker equipment, of there was an enemy wizard throwing some doom bolts or whatnot, I would have lost. Heroes being able to cast Raise Dead to pull each other back from the grave is ridiculous though, it allows raising 4-5 dead heroes in just 1-2 turns.
I'm mostly happy with all other creatures as well, only raised Death Knights by 2 swords, Demon Lords by 5 ranged and Sky Drakes by 3 swords and breath. Everything is still fairly easy in lairs with these heroes, but if a wizard is behind them, even as little as a Prayer can turn the whole thing around.

One interesting part of this change is that while defense buffs can't reduce the extra damage, Terror, Invisibility, Warp Reality, Mind Storm, Black Prayer etc can - spells you don't normally associate with using heroes, except for Invisbility (which might actually be better than Invulnerability now)

Ever noticed that when clicking to set 1 farmers, you always get 0 instead?
Turns out it's because the game doesn't actually register a clickable location before the first farmer, so the only way to have 0 farmers is to click for having one which triggers this "feature".
Too bad, I can't fix this. At best I could make it so that it defaults to 1 farmers and you need to click twice to get the zero instead of the opposite.

A spell that you can only research after spell of mastery? (Given that heroes are op I win buttons, anything that can easily destroy them would be even worse - but as something to break a spell of mastery stalemate?

Cool idea. Maybe prismatic rather than black to be more arcane in flavour. With 5 breaths, one per realm: life exorcises, chaos doom damage, life petrifies, black death or drain, blue magic damage? Or is this too similar to the chaos spawn?

We can't have a new creature without deleting one, and a new spell without deleting one. If we could, we wouldn't have trouble with how to add Water Elementals to Sorcery.

Why are a few combat squares inside a city arbitrarily impassable to any unit? The graphics do not make it seem like there's a tower or obstacle for these few squares.

It should be one square, which is on the same spot on every map; on most maps there's a node or tower or something on that square to make it obvious; I don't actually know the reason behind it though.

That tile has the node, lair, or wizard's tower. There wasn't room to make it behave differently in different types of battles. In the original game that tile is very bugged - sometimes you can enter it when you shouldn't or the opposite, but the worst is units stepping there end up being unreachable for other units as some part of code consider it available in one type of combat, others don't.