As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

DEATH Realm

Some of my experiences with the spells:

Skeletons: There's no police better than them.
Ghouls: I probably under-utilized them, but they were competing with Shadow Demons.
Weakness: Surprisingly effective in early game.
Black Sleep: The first of many resistance based nukes. Pretty good at this point.

Night Stalker: Competing with Shadow Demons.
Wall of Darkness: Amazing. Casting it in battle saved me a couple of times.
Reaper Slash: Made me aware of how many creatures there are with Poison Immunity. Good when you get it, takes a backseat later on. Fine for an uncommon.
Lycanthropy: Only tested this once as an experiment. Pretty good in theory, just not that many opportunities in practice.
Drain Power: Tried it, a lot, but attempting to drain the AI to the point of it having effect seems futile.
Black Prayer: Death is shackled to this spell. Only once you have masses of Death Knights or Demon Lords can you consider not casting it, and even then you probably want to.
Shadow Demons: Great in early game, near useless in late (very slow). That's fine.
Blood Lust: Didn't see a use for it, though may be better with different picks.

Wraiths: Never cast one, though I think they're great. Death Knights just aren't that much farther away and do the same but better.
Wrack: Not very good in practice. Kills weak units, slowly. Funny in Benny Hill battles, especially with Terror. I do think it suits the Death theme well.
Warp Node: As I consider all nodes being for future-me, I didn't use it. But it may suffer from the same as Drain Power.
Famine, Evil Presence, Pestilence: Very devastating trio. AI rarely removes them.
Wave of Despair: Problem is, does little when you need it the most, but still useful on occasion. Strange how an exception is made for this spell to ALSO target resistance. Not like Death has a lack of them.

Massacre: Actually not that great. At this point, anything that dies by it isn't much of a threat anyway.
Final Wave: Same.
Annihilate: I'd hate to say this, but same.
Animate Dead: Really good.
Summon Demon: Actually don't like the chance between two different ones. Rather just always have the caster one. The fighter one isn't all that strong anyway.
Death Knight, Demon Lord: Without these, Death doesn't stand a chance. Doombolts actually kill the things you'd like the other spells to kill, and I'd trade any of them for it.

In summary... I don't know. I think Death has a couple must-have spells, many flavour ones, and a lot of resistance based nukes that are very good at killing stuff you don't really care about. That's probably great in combination with Zombie Mastery, but hordes of zombies don't have a lot of use themselves (they are slow, and limited by only 9 per battle), aside from garrisons/node guards. I quite like the idea of Death having more spells like Weakness - focusing more on strong disabling/debilitating effects in a (near) guaranteed way, and a bit less on hit-or-miss nukes.

My experience with D:
  •    skeletons: can't do them, need the skill for ghouls, which create free police anyway
  •    ghouls: expensive but worth it, they win the game anything over is pointless. They need focus magic and can get into ranged magic lairs only with resist elements. With bless and endurance too, they can win vs many efreeti. BTW, shouldn't blessing melt them?...
  •    zombies: yay hand to hand ghouls :D (if you have by chance mystic surge they're incredible)
  •    darkness: yay better ghouls
  •    dark prayer: yay better ghouls and better black sleep/life drain/warp creature for the higher resistance critters for black sleep once their resistance is 0
  •    any summon that doesn't create undead or that creates undead only after a resistance check: meh. Why waste those resources? Undead archangels FTW
  •    zombie mastery: cool, now even death and undead creatures can be recycled as police!
  •    DK/DL: you've actually won long ago and only want to make the AIs suffer, but they're not conscious so it's pointless.

I'd have to actually make an effort not to use ghouls. Like, challenge myself with that as a handicap. They're that good.

Yeah, but that's with quite a bit of outside help. :P

It makes me wonder if Focus Magic'ed Chaos Spawns are as good as I think they are...

Gaze attacks aren't affected by focus magic, so generally no. Although I think the doom part would still be good.

But ghouls and cockatrices are amazing with focus magic due to poison and stoning touch both working with ficus magic - and they have 4 figures, so that's a lot of chances per attack.

Nope the doom part would not work either, it's still a gaze attack.
Poison would work though but Nagas are better at that.
Best targets are cockatrices and wraiths/death knights.

So we need a 'Prescription Glasses' spell!

Skeletons are weak police units. Casting skill is a much more scarce resource than production, and they gain no experience. I would never waste a starting spell on them either. They're a complete pushover in lairs too. Like Spearmen, they serve no interesting role in the game. Other common units do. I don't know what should be done to them, though. Probably more swords or hearts, that way they'd be useful as cannon fodder.

I've used skeletons, they've the good value of being possible to cast cheaply in any city exactly when you need them - like building two spearmen in one turn. And don't forget the undead immunities. If anything, I'd make them castable anywhere like the cloud island, but only if that doesn't make them more expensive and doesn't take a lot of seravy-time...

Actually skeletons do have one good use : missile immunity. If you find a stack of bowmen defending a city, skeletons can beat it. Ghouls do it better though as they turn the bowmen to your side...
So yeah I agree I find Skeletons useless. Some people love to use them though for the "no maintenance" trait but I don't think that's a very good play.

Oh, wait, they do have one fairly good use. Summon 9 of them (they are cheap, so a full stack only costs 225) and then use Darkness to buff them significantly. Except, even with that they only have the stats of a veteran swordsmen...

How do you think they should be improved so they can fill an interesting role? Zero upkeep is a bad role for them, it pretty much screams I'M USELESS.