As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

(December 13th, 2017, 04:49)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: Moore wants to literally re-enslave black people and return them to a place of subservience. 
Ridiculous hyperbole is ridiculous.

Sexual allegations play well in Alabama, and resonate extremely well in the current moral panic.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(December 13th, 2017, 09:34)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote:
(December 13th, 2017, 08:44)AdrienIer Wrote: Massachusetts is blue but isn't unwinnable for Republicans if they're not too crazy. Romney was governor of Massachusetts after all

True, but Alabama had a Democratic governor as recently as 2003 (near contemporaneous with Romney in Massachusetts). Prior to Scott Brown, the last Republican Senator was elected in 1972, analogous to Alabama's 1990 for a Democratic Senator. I really think the two situations are quite comparable (apart from the X factor of Moore sexually assaulting minors).

This is not right. It's far easier for the "wrong" team to win governorships. There was recently a GOP Hawaii governor and a DEM Wyoming governor. Doug Jones needed a lot more help than Scott Brown because right-wing ticket-splits much less and Doug Jones was Pro-Choice in Alabama. Massachusetts is probably the most DEM state after Hawaii.  

In other news, there are very creditable rumors of the GOP working on a comprise with the DEMs regarding immigration. This wouldn't be happening if Trump was planning to force a crisis. The DEMs will now get to the promised land of 2024.

(December 13th, 2017, 16:15)MJW (ya that one) Wrote:
(December 13th, 2017, 09:34)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote:
(December 13th, 2017, 08:44)AdrienIer Wrote: Massachusetts is blue but isn't unwinnable for Republicans if they're not too crazy. Romney was governor of Massachusetts after all

True, but Alabama had a Democratic governor as recently as 2003 (near contemporaneous with Romney in Massachusetts). Prior to Scott Brown, the last Republican Senator was elected in 1972, analogous to Alabama's 1990 for a Democratic Senator. I really think the two situations are quite comparable (apart from the X factor of Moore sexually assaulting minors).

This is not right. It's far easier for the "wrong" team to win governorships. There was recently a GOP Hawaii governor and a DEM Wyoming governor. Doug Jones needed a lot more help than Scott Brown because right-wing ticket-splits much less and Doug Jones was Pro-Choice in Alabama. Massachusetts is probably the most DEM state after Hawaii.  

In other news, there are very creditable rumors of the GOP working on a comprise with the DEMs regarding immigration. This wouldn't be happening if Trump was planning to force a crisis. The DEMs will now get to the promised land of 2024.

I think you're violently agreeing with me. I was pointing out that Scott Brown's Senate win and Doug Jones' are similar, and that the fact that opposite parties can win governorships in red/blue states doesn't really reflect on the Senate.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(December 13th, 2017, 16:18)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: the fact that opposite parties can win governorships in red/blue states doesn't really reflect on the Senate.

What do you make of WV, ND, MT, MO and IN having a D senator then ?

(December 13th, 2017, 16:34)AdrienIer Wrote:
(December 13th, 2017, 16:18)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: the fact that opposite parties can win governorships in red/blue states doesn't really reflect on the Senate.

What do you make of WV, ND, MT, MO and IN having a D senator then ?

Every single one of those Senators are up this year. MT MO got in during GWB's implosion and then ride Obama for re-election. WV was for Byrd's seat and ND ran a great campaign in an Obama wave year. IN was gift from the GOP like Alabama.

Obama, in most of 'em. Most of 'em aren't particularly red states, either - not the way that Alabama is red, or the way Massachusetts is blue.

I live in MO (which is why I deny that it's a red state, although it's undeniably trending that way) and that's a special case. McCaskill got in during GWB's implosion, as MJW said, and then her own self-selected opponent, Akin, put his foot in his mouth just after the primary ("legitimate rape") and promptly imploded as well. In many ways, he previews Moore, albeit to a less extreme degree.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(December 13th, 2017, 11:12)Commodore Wrote:
(December 13th, 2017, 04:49)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: Moore wants to literally re-enslave black people and return them to a place of subservience. 

Sexual allegations play well in Alabama, and resonate extremely well in the current moral panic.

Oh, excuse me, he only wants to abolish the 13th Amendment, and speaks fondly of a time where black families could be broken apart by slavers and sold piecemeal, and he wants to incarcerate as many black people as possible where they are made to work for a dollar a day. That doesn't literally mean Moore is currently introducing a bill to re-enstate slavery in a parallel dimension, so all's well.

(December 13th, 2017, 22:34)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote:

Oh, excuse me, he only wants to abolish the 13th Amendment, and speaks fondly of a time where black families could be broken apart by slavers and sold piecemeal, and he wants to incarcerate as many black people as possible where they are made to work for a dollar a day. That doesn't literally mean Moore is currently introducing a bill to re-enstate slavery in a parallel dimension, so all's well.
*citation needed.

I am fascinated by all the non-Americans excitement about internal politics. Sucks. Empires are crummy things, much prefer nations.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(December 13th, 2017, 23:29)Commodore Wrote:
(December 13th, 2017, 22:34)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote:

*citation needed.

I am fascinated by all the non-Americans excitement about internal politics. Sucks. Empires are crummy things, much prefer nations.
There's a radio extract from (I think) 2011 where the guy he's talking to says that he wants to get rid of all the amendments beyond the 10th and Moore agrees.
Various left leaning sources made it resurface last week, but I don't have a link here on my phone

As for interest in US politics, it's because it has worldwide implications, because it's easy to follow (only two parties) and because from a western european perspective it's quite often a stereotypical good guy vs bad guy election which makes it easy to cheer for one side.

Here's your citation you tool:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...943955001/