As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Magic Science and Mr. Cairo in Pitboss 40

So, we have a plan up through Turn 19, but Turn 20 draws ever nearer, and we need a plan for it when it comes. For ease of reference, here is the plan we are currently operating on:
(June 29th, 2018, 15:35)Magic Science Wrote: Turn 0: Settle in place, start building a worker and researching Mining while working a grassland forest hill.
Turn 5: Switch to working the grassland hill sheep.
Turn 8: Mining done. Start researching Bronze Working.
Turn 10: Worker One done. Worker One starts farming the corn. The capital works the corn tile and starts building a quechua.
Turn 14: Corn farm done.
Turn 15: Worker One starts farming the sugar.
Turn 16: The capital has grown, stops building the quechua and starts building Worker Two while working the corn and grassland hill sheep.
Turn 19: Sugar farm done.
I propose that we add the following to it:
Turn 20: Worker One moves to the riverside grassland hill two tiles south of the capital
Turn 21: Worker One starts mining. Bronze Working done. Start researching Hunting.
Turn 22: Worker Two done. Worker Two moves to the riverside grassland forest hill one tile west and one tile southwest of the capital. The capital starts building Quechua One again.
Turn 23: Worker Two starts chopping.
Turn 24: Worker One finishes the mine. Quechua One done. Start building Quechua Two.
Turn 25: Capital at size 3. Worker One moves to the grassland forest southeast of the capital. Worker Two finishes chopping. Capital stops building Quechua Two and starts Settler One.
Turn 26: Worker Two starts mining. Worker One starts chopping.
Turn 28: Worker One finishes chopping. Hunting done, start The Wheel (subject to change).
Turn 29: Worker Two finishes mining. Worker One runs south to get in position to improve the second city (exact position depends on where the second city is going).
Turn 30: Settler One is done. Revolt to Slavery. Worker One gets in position to farm immediately when the second city is founded. Worker Two runs to the sheep.

We end up getting both Bronze Working and Hunting earlier than I thought we would when trying things in sims before the game started, which opens up more options. However, I’m not sure that they are better options. Worker One could chop immediately after farming, but we need a mine to get the settler on schedule. Worker Two could pasture immediately after chopping, but it would mean some inefficient use of worker turns, and the capital does not suffer very much from not having the sheep to work until a few turns later. It is worth considering, though, and I will be trying some sims with it.
Participated in: Pitboss 40 (lurked by Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 45 (lurked by Charriu and chumchu), Pitboss 63 (replaced Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 66Pitboss 69, Pitboss 74
Participating in: Pitboss 78 (lurked by GT), Pitboss 79 (lurking giraflorens)

Criticism welcome!

Turn 10
Wow! After a few rather uninteresting turns, things are starting to pick up again. To start off with, Moncacht-Ape moved one tile east towards the hill, but then he saw a lion adjacent to his destination:

I thought about what to do for a little while. Should I go to the grassland forest hill anyway, or should I move south to play it safe? In the end, I played it safe. Losing Moncacht-Ape would be too big of a blow to risk (especially considering that we still hope to find a better third city site). After Moncacht-Ape moved south, he saw a SECOND lion next to the grassland forest hill:

I think that not moving there was a good choice, and I am sure that Moncacht-Ape agrees lol. Next turn I plan to move him one tile southeast, then one tile south to the grassland jungle hill.
Meanwhile, at Cuzco, Worker One was completed. He moved south to farm the corn, and Cuzco switched to working the corn and producing Quechua One. Interesting times!

Participated in: Pitboss 40 (lurked by Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 45 (lurked by Charriu and chumchu), Pitboss 63 (replaced Mr. Cairo), Pitboss 66Pitboss 69, Pitboss 74

Criticism welcome!

Good call on the scout it would really have sucked to lose it this early. Where do you plan on moving him next?

So I had a go in your sim (thanks for that btw), giving your updated worker plan a shot, and I had a couple of little issues with it.
Firstly, I couldn't find anything productive for Worker 1 to do for two turns between finishing its chop and improving the second city. Also, we end up with our cap working the Sugar and 2 Mines (or 1 Mine and unimproved Sheep) once we give the Corn to the new city, with the pasture on the sheep not finishing until turn 34. So I tried to come up with a slightly more efficient solution, and I think I did (starting on T20):

T20: move Worker 1 to forested grassland hill 1W of Sugar
T21: BW done, Worker 1 starts mining the hill.
T22: Worker 2 done, send to join worker 1
T23: Worker 2 starts mining as well
T24: Quecha 1 finishes, start Quecha 2
T25: Cuzco grows to size 3, start Settler 1, Mine finishes (sending the forest's 20h to Cuzco), 1 of the workers is free, send it 1N to the forest there (1S of Sheep).
T26: That worker starts chopping, other worker joins it
T27: Together, both workers finish the chop (Settler 1 now on course to finish T30)
T28: Worker 1 to the grassland hill 2S of Cuzco, Worker 2 to Sheep. 
T29: Hunting finishes, start [tech], Worker 2 starts pasture, Worker 1 starts mine, but cancels so we can move it the next turn
T30: Settler finishes, Cuzco continues Quecha 2. Settler 1 moves to tile 1N of city site (assuming city 1W of Incense), Worker 1 moves onto city site (at this point Quecha 1 should be there as well, from wherever we end up putting it while the settler builds) 
T31: Found city (give Corn, start farming a floodplains, Cuzco can finish Quecha 2 in cap by working a plains forest hill tile.
T32: Pasture finishes.

So the settler still comes out on T30, but the Pasture is finished earlier, and only 1 worker-turn is wasted getting Worker 1 done to prepare the new city spot.

I plan to move Moncacht-Ape one tile southeast, then one tile south. He will end up on the grassland jungle hill.

Thank you for taking the time to come up with a plan of your own. I agree that it is a more efficient option than my plan. However, I would make one change. I think that it would be better to have Worker One finish mining the riverside grassland hill two tiles south of Cuzco before going to farm the floodplain at Sidon. If Worker One does not finish the mine, then Cuzco ends up working an unimproved tile for a few turns.

Also, I agree that it is better to settle Sidon one west of the incense, not on the incense. Having only one floodplain in the city’s initial area makes almost no immediate difference, and we can have a Terrace built in the city by turn 45 to start claiming the other floodplains.

Criticism welcome!

When does Cuzco work unimproved tiles, other than the 1 turn before the pasture finishes? Or are you thinking of even further beyond that? I haven't actually simmed out much beyond settling Sidon.

I have indeed been simming beyond the founding of Sidon, and that is when Cuzco ends up working an unimproved tile for a brief time if Worker One does not finish the mine.

Criticism welcome!

Turn 11 - 3560 BC

I joined the game to see a lion adjacent to Moncacht-Ape, but that didn’t matter because he was going to move south anyway. He went to the jungle grassland hill and found a jungle-covered banana one tile southeast of him. I think that he will go one tile southwest next turn, to the flatland jungle, but I am considering going south to the plains hill for extra vision. Meanwhile, Worker One and Cuzco continued their previous activities without any problems.

Criticism welcome!

Turn 12 - 3520 BC

Moncacht-Ape moved one tile southwest and found a plains wine one tile south of his position. Next turn I plan to move him two tiles south to the flatland jungle. Fog gazing indicates that he can move two tiles west from there to a hill jungle, so I think that I will do that in two turns.

Criticism welcome!

do you cancel the worker after it does its work for the turn? I've just noticed it's been in a fortify stance the last couple of screenshot

Good eye! Yes, I do cancel Worker One after he does his work for the turn. He is still farming each turn as planned, don’t worry. It doesn’t matter now, but I think that it is a good habit to cancel the workers after they work so that opponents can’t see what they are doing and they don’t accidentally keep doing something if you don’t want them too (say, you want them to leave an improvement unfinished and go somewhere else).

Criticism welcome!