As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: ships back to port
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
why not
33.33%
1 33.33%
I see a problem (please specify in thread)
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Ships back to port

Granted, stuff like wraith form or flying already makes it possible.
But, in the early game that's quite expensive. How about allowing ships to go back into port?

The biggest advantage would be the possibility to place a city strategically to let two separate seas communicate with each other, shortening considerably ship logistics.

I don't think that there are big drawbacks. If there were big drawbacks then there would be already the same drawbacks for the spells I mentioned above or air walking and anything similar. But as these are acceptable then any drawbacks should be acceptable too.

Don't like this idea, it would allow players to prevent enemy ships from attacking and sinking theirs.

Sure, by hiding in a city and not transporting or exploring, which I think is a perfectly good 'cost' to preventing the enemy from doing that.

However, to me this would mean two things: Ships should also be allowed to attack ports, which would be bad as the AI builds up a huge navy due to lack of maintenance.

And defending or attacking a port with a ship would be very strange graphically.

So I'm against the idea, because I don't want to see ships defending a city on land as a general rule. (I know it still happens, but it's currently quite rare.)

True, if a ship can enter a city, an enemy ship can enter a city and attack it. Except the AI is incapable of doing that and the battle system treats ships on nonsea tiles as unable to fight so it wouldn't work. Even if they did appear, they can't move on land combat terrain.

Uh, don't get lost in a glass of water smile
Ships in port are not known for their manouverability. Even civ lets ships caught in cities be destroyed. Here in the proposal they would act exactly like they act now if they've just been built. Check it out!

That doesn't resolve what happens when the AI attacks your city with the ships (or when you attack the AI city with ships).

We can simply prevent that.

Meaning: the ships can only move to friendly cities.

In that case the ai can't predict where your ship will go. It will think you don't actually have your ship when in Port. Particularly in the case you are designing this for, connecting two oceans on opposite side of the continent, the AI won't understand this. If your ship is on one ocean, then it mercilessly hunt down your ship and send it's ships to that ocean. Then you can easily hop to the other ocean, while the ai ships have to reposition over many turns.

It completely breaks the danger, and therefore the purpose, of the AI naval superiority.

If I can answer you with yourself...

(August 11th, 2018, 11:33)Nelphine Wrote: Sure, by hiding in a city and not transporting or exploring, which I think is a perfectly good 'cost' to preventing the enemy from doing that.

A ship remaining around an owner's city is not exploring or ferrying troops to attack. Not an issue.

Absolutely. If it's hiding there, that's fine. But, by going into the city, and then exiting into a different ocean, it breaks the AI ability to hunt ships; the AI literally doesn't know the oceans are connected. AI naval superiority would become extremely easy to get around, without having to actual fight it. (Yes it already is, but the other methods require spells.)