As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

41 Vice: Commodicator/Pindore

(December 31st, 2018, 15:23)Krill Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:1) Roll a few medium / low sea level Big and Small cylindrical maps.
2) Choose the most reasonable of them.
3) If even in the most reasonable one someone is totally screwed by a start, connect him to a nearby large island or something like that.
4) Make sure that everyone has key strategic resources somewhere close.
5) THE END.

I can do this, with the proviso that I would normalise the starts so they are all similar in output (but not in resource type). eg they would all be double food starts with a river, or all single food starts with a production tile for similar outputs. None of this triple fish for one and single plains cow and a billion forests for another. Just remember that this was what was played on PB8 when Serdoa got landed in the middle of a fuck off huge jungle and couldn't interact with anyone for 120 turns (actually, I deleted a bit of jungle to make it more playable, the original map was even worse).

Does that say anything about how many people to a continent?
You had the right to sign off on any map you choose. Just like I have the right to offer up any excuses for our defeat that fit my whims.

...although I don't think we're going to lose due to insufficient ivory supplies. Good heavens, man.
[Image: a6PsNUI.jpg]
No more FOOD found, of course, but that's a lot of 2/2/1 tiles. Also a billion years of worker labor.

The barbarians decided to be optimally annoying in the crappy one-horse town of Apache. Sure guys, I'll struggle with an extra 20% defense, making it a very slow and unsure.
[Image: LIVb4Bc.jpg]Also pictured, people doing better than us. BGN offered marble for stone this turn, for extra humor. I'll offer it back when we build the Moai.

No easy way out of this hole for us. Just conservative, steady, solid play. Like REXing (Currency 2t), and...cottages. As you see now, every flat bit of green around Burr is cottaged and being worked. Hendricks' settler is due in 2t to help with the growing, while the final cottage, a painful dry plains, will be done by the eastern worker. Beautiful capital, much nicer than Superdeath's long-term.
[Image: fCTjJKu.jpg]
Lest ye worry, already have three cottages at the Superdeath Capital. And we only have three more to drop at Gerry. Fiscal Jackhammer is slow, but in 40 turns, this will pay nice dividends.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Glad my land is being cottaged well!
neenerneener
"Superdeath seems to have acquired a rep for aggression somehow. [Image: noidea.gif] In this game that's going to help us because he's going to go to the negotiating table with twitchy eyes and slightly too wide a grin and terrify the neighbors into favorable border agreements, one-sided tech deals and staggered NAPs."
-Old Harry. PB48.

(January 2nd, 2019, 21:13)superdeath Wrote: Glad my land is being cottaged well!
neenerneener

Only way it was ever going to happen, judging by past performance.  mischief

toast
"Superdeath seems to have acquired a rep for aggression somehow. [Image: noidea.gif] In this game that's going to help us because he's going to go to the negotiating table with twitchy eyes and slightly too wide a grin and terrify the neighbors into favorable border agreements, one-sided tech deals and staggered NAPs."
-Old Harry. PB48.

(January 2nd, 2019, 20:28)Commodore Wrote: Fiscal Jackhammer is slow, but in 40 turns, this will pay nice dividends.

How well does it pay off now? You seem to have a much better research rate...is that mostly research building or is your commerce recovery already showing up?
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(January 2nd, 2019, 21:53)Mardoc Wrote:
(January 2nd, 2019, 20:28)Commodore Wrote: Fiscal Jackhammer is slow, but in 40 turns, this will pay nice dividends.

How well does it pay off now?  You seem to have a much better research rate...is that mostly research building or is your commerce recovery already showing up?
It's definitely helped, going from -3 to +14 gpt at 0% in the last ten turns isn't nothing. But research, and soon Wealth, are going to be empire mainstays for quite some time.

Given the amount of coast and tundra you've explored, you'd think there should be whales and furs about, but apparently not. Maybe you find gems up north near the equator somewhere?

(January 2nd, 2019, 22:15)Zed-F Wrote: Given the amount of coast and tundra you've explored, you'd think there should be whales and furs about, but apparently not. Maybe you find gems up north near the equator somewhere?

Nothing yet. And it's a decent chunk of equator I've got there; only dyes for luxuries there. Wines and not much else means we won't really relax until Monarchy.

So the barbarians, in their infinite wisdom, decided to move their unguarded worker next to our axe. Don't mind if I do, Kessites.
[Image: bvX7HcX.jpg]
That 99.0% odds first fight is nice, but bad luck could make this a very very long conquest indeed. It's extremely important, too, as despite this forsaken little spot's terrible lack of food it has four forests and three population...which is enough to bang out another settler, who can start settling east as the next goes west from Superdead Island. Basically, this miserable little ball of nothingness is still capable of spinning off a snowball. And the 82/100 hp axe needs to not take much more damage in the first fights.

I dont know if i should wish you good luck on your barb city fight, or wonder if you have any luck left after the copper city fight.. ;p
-Old Harry. PB48.