As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

1.51 release candidate!

It should be lowest number first, but I don't think any of the optional patches care about that. I checked magic.exe and the M005 file should definitely apply without warnings, which means two possibilities :

1. You already applied the file - second time it'll give you the warning but do nothing bad as it's replacing data with itself.
2. You are applying it to an incompatible version EXE file, meaning not the one included in the RC8 download.

It's easy to figure out - run the game and if it does what the patch say it should, it was case 1, otherwise case 2.

(April 25th, 2019, 19:15)Seravy Wrote: It should be lowest number first, but I don't think any of the optional patches care about that. I checked magic.exe and the M005 file should definitely apply without warnings, which means two possibilities :

1. You already applied the file - second time it'll give you the warning but do nothing bad as it's replacing data with itself.
2. You are applying it to an incompatible version EXE file, meaning not the one included in the RC8 download.

It's easy to figure out - run the game and if it does what the patch say it should, it was case 1, otherwise case 2.

I ran the game and the mods are definitely not installed.  I copied the EXE directly from the archive into the folder where I have the fileset exec and text files and I'm still getting the same errors. I appreciate any help you can offer.

You did copy the modified exe back to where you run the game from? You are running the correct copy of the game (if you have multiples)?

If all else fails, redownload the 151RC8 and try on a fresh EXE file.

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the RC8 file again and copied the EXE files out from it and I'm getting the same results. The patches I'm trying to install for testing are the M005FEAT and M006FEAT because those can be tested from the new game screen. I didn't see the file stamp on the MAGIC.EXE update but I copied it back to the original folder anyway. There were no changes to the cost of the Myrran ability and I couldn't select both white and black spell books when I tried to start a new game. I did continue on to the map and I see the version listed as 1.51 with the wordpress site URL when I checked the menu. I have been running both the FILESET and MAGIC files through DOSBox but I believe that is the recommended option.

For now, I think I'll play the game with the patch as is and try the mods again if another RC comes out later. I'm still amazed there are updates to one of my favorite games growing up and I wanted to say thank you for that. I'll probably try out the Caster of Magic mod sometime soon but I want to get in a few games with a more vanilla experience first. Thanks for all your help!

Okay, I have absolutely no idea what you're doing wrong but I tried to apply the patches and both worked without an error message.
I even checked the MOM151RC8.zip file and it contains the correct Magic.exe file. There only real possibility is you made multiple such folders and are running fileset in one, but copy the file from the other.
Either way you can use Life and Death magic together in CoM anyway and Myrran costs 1 pick there so trying that is a good solution too.

Just to make sure I read it correctly, the command line is:

FILESET MAGIC.EXE M005FEAT.TXT

Or am I doing something wrong there?  Are you also running the patch through DOSBox?

That's correct. But are you inside the folder where you placed the files?

I am.  I moved the EXE files and the two text files to a sub folder and am running the commands from there.  I attached a screenshot of the output I get.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well, yeah that magic.exe was already modified, it has today's date on it. So you get the warnings for doing it the second time twice.
And after you move this to your MoM folder, the feature does not work? Are you 100% sure you moved it to the right place? You aren't for example, blocked from overwriting the file by windows or if on linux, case-sensitivity resulting in two magic.exe files instead of overwriting?

I believe that's the creation date from when I copied the file out of the archive.  I checked the file properties and it's still showing the last modify date as May 3, 2018.

I have the correct permissions and am not getting any errors when I try to overwrite the files in the Magic folder.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)