As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

I can't exactly knock on their door with "hey I'm the guy who has been modding that game you now own the IP rights to without permission and...actually would you pay me for some advice how to make a game that's...at least half as good as my mod?", seriously.
Sure if they come to me I'm glad to help but I'm not in the position to ask.
Besides, my advice could pretty much be summed up as "Copy Caster of Magic. Don't change even the slightest thing. The game balance is too complex and even as much as a seemingly minor change can ruin the whole thing." - I mean I literally could sum up the things I want differently but can't do due to the limits of hex editing in like, 3 sentences.
Also, based on their announcement I have the feeling they don't want to make the kind of sequel we are looking for, not even close to it.

Quote:The foundations of what we play today are still traced back to that golden age of gaming. We cannot ignore that, like we cannot ignore that technology has moved on with player’s expectations in other areas such as social integration, multiplayer, narration, ease-of-access and more.

That pretty much is a list of my top "don't do that" things. Multiplayer, we've had that discussed in that other thread so let's not do it again. Social, well, idk, I guess letting he game post "Achievement unlocked : You've just won a game on Extreme difficulty" on random sites isn't going to hurt but that's about all I can think of. Narration...is completely unnecessary. This isn't Heroes of Might and Magic with Campaigns and stuff. The player is the one who determines where to go and what to do, if there is a predefined story or campaign that's...a different genre. Tho I might be wrong on this one. Ease of Access basically means a dumb and ugly interface that works on phones, or worse, consoles in my interpretation. That kills the game entirely, one of the greatest selling points and likely the only one that actually had no major issues in the original MoM was the efficient, intuitive and reasonably responsive UI. Unless they mean "simplistic game even the dumbest people can master" by it instead which is even worse. MoM is the most complex game in the genre I have played and that makes it good.
And I rather not even try to guess what the "and more" means. I can't really name anything in modern gaming that I liked, in general. It feels like it's a downward spiral overall and not just in the 4X genre.

MoM2 needs mass of units, a good magic system based on spells and counter spells and many, but fast tactical combats. Thats the core of MoM

5.71b
-Fixed bug : AI production decision freezes the game in some corner cases.

Holy Armor's battle cost appears to be 50

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks, fixed!

Quote:5.71c
-The Chosen hero now has the Holy Weapon spell instead of the currently overland only Holy Armor.

Master of magic has been "remade" a few times and well planar conquest and worlds of magic were both totally unplayable janky buggy messes that also failed to capture any of the glory or grandeur of the original.

On top of that both Age of Wonders and Warlock - Master of the Arcane do an absolutely fine job of reimagining the concept for a modern audience who wants a modern ui and social integration and such. The only real aspect of MoM untapped in the modern market is actually one that's faithful and lacks modern "advances".

Anyone remaking MoM and trying to capture a "modern" audience is just going to end up making a bad version of age of wonders, which by the way age of wonders 4 aka planetfall just came out. That sort of game is doing just fine.

edit: That said, slitherine is still making video games like it's the 90s, and they haven't learned anything about modern technology at all, none of their games come to phones or consoles at all, so.... they might actually pull this off.

oh also also speaking of MoM remakes, deity empires on steam is actually a MoM remake, IMO it's awful.
the only question is it the same kind of awful as vanilla MoM?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/88908...y_Empires/
hard to say because they're still "finishing it" it came out a year ago, and it's not in early access, but really it's in early access and they're still updating it, so maybe it'll be good one day.

it's VERY much a total clone of MoM though only with all the IP names changed around randomly, but the structure is identical nearly.

Quote:5.72
-Fixed bug : splitting up a stack of 2 ships sometimes fails.
-Fixed 5.71 bug : “Mystic Surge can't be dispelled” does not work. (was applied to the overland effect instead of the combat one)
-When a control changed confused unit is affected by dispelling, it'll be treated as it was the original owner's unit. (will dispel buffs or curses depending on that, including confusion itself.)
-Fixed bug : Chaos Surge was applied before Chaos Channels instead of after, causing it to have no effect on those units on the overland map.
-Neutral stacks now use a new targeting priority formula. Instead of subtracting 2 prioirity for each unit in garrisons, 32*(garrison overall strength/Neutral stack strength) is subtracted. This should help in neutrals making better decisions on when it's worth taking the long road to attack a distant city, and makes it harder to manipulate them.

Playing version 5.7 and I get the event where you get a new mine appear in one of my cities. I checked the city and there are no new minerals there, but I noticed the orilhacon shared between that and another of my cities no longer gives the orilhacon bonus when building magicians. The graphics are still visible, but it doesn't appear on the mouse over when I use the surveyor on that tile. Shame because I based my strategy around those high men magicians.

It might be because that city already had 4 minerals and it could be the maximum for a city maybe? It also had 2 quork crystals and 1 gem tile.

No, it sounds more likely that the new mineral appeared on top of the Orihalcon, resulting in an invalid mineral. I'll check the new mineral event code.
...yes it's possible for a new mineral to appear on the Orihalcon tile and the two minerals will "merge" into an invalid one. (It's also possible for the same to happen to Wild Game and Nightshade by the way. While the system allows for these to coexist on a tile, I'm not sure the effects are correctly implemented for the case and Surveyor obviously has no way to correctly display two or more effects as there is no room on the screen. So probably the best solution is to disallow it.)

I recommend loading your autosave file from before the event to fix your Orihalcon.