As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

Hello, I love the mod! There is just two things that bother me.

1. Some heroes that come with the Lucky trait can also recieve it randomly. Since Lucky doesn't stack it is a wasted skill slot that reduces the power of the hero.
Is this a known issue? Is there a chance it will be fixed?

2. This is actually an issue from the original game as well that always annoyed me. The AI builds cities in overlapping locations, cutting resources in tiles by half as they are shared between cities. The AI hurting itself by doing so is one thing, but when they do it near my cities I want to destroy them.. But then i'm forced to start a war early or suffer that eyesore hamlet they built near my capital for a long time. Sharing tiles between cities should be a choice only done when truly required, yet the AI just does it all the time without a care in the world.
Is there anyway to change the AI behaviour in terms of city building locations? Would be awesome if so.

1. That shouldn't happen, however heroes that have the lucky hero ability (random or otherwise) will also display the normal one. There is a simple reason for this, the hero ability grants the normal one, which has the effect. If both had the effect then the ability would stack with itself which is bad because it's possible to have both by equipping an item that grants it. As far as I remember the Thief is the only hero with guaranteed Lucky and she has no random abilities. Basically this is a display problem that would be difficult to fix and doesn't affect the game.

2. It's not that simple. The shared tiles account for at best 5% of the total value of the location. That's simply not high enough to be relevant, so if the overall location is good, it's worth selecting. Considering someone else recently wanted the AI to build closer and share more tiles to use space more efficiently, it shows how subjective this matter is. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Either way, creating an AI that can optimize the use of space globally isn't possible and even if it was, the overall impact on the game would be minimal.
Dispute over territory often leads to war, I think that's realistic and a good thing as it keeps the game more interesting and engaging.

1. Ah I see, so that's what it is. So it's not granted twice, just shows twice as a skill and effect like spells do. Thanks for clearing it up.

2. Alright, it's just the perfectionist in me that hates seeing those "1/2" markers on my cities. Well, is it possible to count such an action (building an outpost that shares another player city's tile) as a hostile action? So AI's that I have a pact with will not do it to my cities. Just thinking here.

Making the AI get angry at you if you build against them that way is easy but that's not something we want. Making the AI not do it however, that's not going to work. The AI only checks the location when it sets the destination for the settler. Once it stops moving for any reason, it'll build there immediately, if able.

I just noticed, that focus magic on Cockatrices makes their stoning attack to be ranged. Is it intended behavior?
4 figure ranged stoning kill angels effectively.

Yes, that's intended.

Which difficulty is the one that used to be called extreme (it's been a while for me)? expert or master?

Extreme was roughly halfway between those two. The raw numbers are closer to Master but the overall experience is probably closer to Expert because the AI has been improved a lot since then.

(March 16th, 2020, 06:34)Seravy Wrote: Extreme was roughly halfway between those two. The raw numbers are closer to Master but the overall experience is probably closer to Expert because the AI has been improved a lot since then.

Thanks! I'll make my new campaign expert.

Greetings.

I've recently purchased Caster of Magic from GOG and it has been great so far.

Unfortunately I have noticed a bug while playing as a Life book based wizard.

After casting the global enchantment "Holy Arms" the game would crash to desktop anytime I opened the spellbook to cast and clicked the "Holy Weapon" spell.

My guess is this is because Holy Arms is basically a mass Holy Weapon spell this has somehow interfered with the single unit version.

From what I can see the game starts crashing when I click Holy Weapon so long as Holy Arms is in effect. If Holy Arms is cancelled then clicking Holy Weapon does not cause a crash.

Is this the correct forum to post this bug report in or is there a better place to contact the developer?