As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

1.51 release candidate!

RC11 is now available for download!

It may be a stupid question... but where can I find the list of changes between RC versions?

There is an "Included" folder with the patch files. Each of them starts with a comment explaining what the patch is for. The files that weren't there in the previous version are new. (nowadays that usually means the last 20-30 of them)

Actual link to the 1.5 rc11 patch (or any other 1.5 patch) is missing from the download page :
http://seravy.x10.mx/CasterofMagic/

1.51 is now obsolete, the 1.52 version of the patch is included in the official release of the game available on GoG, Steam and Slitherine's website instead.

(March 2nd, 2020, 11:53)Seravy Wrote: 1.51 is now obsolete, the 1.52 version of the patch is included in the official release of the game available on GoG, Steam and Slitherine's website instead.

Seravy, thank you for everything!  Congrats on getting CoM published on the up-and-up!

I presume the source code for Master of Magic has been lost.  (Although someone had ported it to the Playstation, so someone must have had it.)

At one time, I had gotten permission -- in writing -- from MicroProse to port MoM to the Macintosh, gratis.  But they didn't have the source code.  Alas.  Not something I was interested in recreating from scratch.

BUT, if I'm mistaken, and they still do have the source code, I hope they let you do the magic you do with it!  That would be fabulous!

Even if I could get the source code now, I no longer have the bandwidth* to port it to the Macintosh.  Too busy raising two kids and working on Photoshop.  C'est la vie.

* Well, with the shelter-in-place, maybe right now I now have the bandwidth.  But I hope the country shutdown concludes soon.

Cheers,
Eljay

I knew your name was familiar from somewhere, and indeed, from this link : http://ilikeserena.dx.am/MoM/eljay/index.html
That was some really useful information, thank you very much for sharing it!

If you find the source code, let me know, and I'm sure Slitherine also wants it.

As a WinXP devoted user I finally gave up attempting to play Caster of Magic. Slitherine MoM/CoM release doesn't work on XP. I knew that they don't support it anymore blah-blah when I gave them my money although I already had GOG Classic MoM release. And the manual chore of copying the needed files (and them only!) to Classic MoM folder is really tedious. Well, it's OK, I can live without CoM.
But I'm still interested in patches for the regular MoM. Isn't there really no way to get the possible new versions of 1.51-52-53-etc for owners of both Classic and Slitherine versions that still use the Classic one? It will not infringe Slitherine by no means IMO.

So, the summer is over, and still no answer?

Well, Slitherine doesn't use this forum so you should be asking on theirs. I can't help with their installers and launchers, I didn't make those.
As a workaround, if you have access to a non-XP PC then you can install there then move the files to your computer. It's a DOS game, it works on any operating system that can run Dosbox and can be freely moved to any folder.