As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

(July 15th, 2020, 09:15)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:forest scene looks cool, but it's really hard to see the units, can we change it a bit so it isn't so woody looking

We used to have a transparency effect on units standing inside the forest tile but that was things worse so it was removed and the number of trees was reduced. I don't have any good idea what else can be done, any less trees and it no longer looks like a proper forest.

Perhaps distancing one tree from another improves the view and still looks like a forest (of course decreasing the number of trees). Perhaps even increasing their height, it also gives the impression of a forest.

(July 15th, 2020, 10:00)massone Wrote:
(July 15th, 2020, 09:15)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:forest scene looks cool, but it's really hard to see the units, can we change it a bit so it isn't so woody looking

We used to have a transparency effect on units standing inside the forest tile but that was things worse so it was removed and the number of trees was reduced. I don't have any good idea what else can be done, any less trees and it no longer looks like a proper forest.

How about making the units' layer always above the trees, so the trees stay in background and units in foreground? The main issue for me is that some of the trees are blocking parts of the units from view.

That looks horrible. The units stand on top of the trees.

Quote:Perhaps distancing one tree from another improves the view and still looks like a forest (of course decreasing the number of trees). Perhaps even increasing their height, it also gives the impression of a forest.

I already did say I don't want to reduce the number of trees further. Making them taller doesn't help, it still covers the same amount of area, just on the tile slightly higher up on the screen.

Bugs using version 14.7.2020:
-         Turn-count-icons in the Spell book are sometimes shown as maximum 40, even if there is enough Mana and Skill.
-         Ending a game with the Lose key and starting a new one sometimes triggers “Range check error”.
-         Perhaps the Tax rate has dropped to 1.25 by itself.
-         Fire Giant´s Fireball caused “Range check error”. Pressing >Esc< or >Enter< closes the popup window and continues the game.
(Unit pictures disappeared from the building screen in this save file as well.)

Is it better not to use Save + Load when testing or does it not matter?

Attached Files
.zip   20200715_FireGiants_Fireball_bug.zip (Size: 83.48 KB / Downloads: 1)

Quote:Turn-count-icons in the Spell book are sometimes shown as maximum 40, even if there is enough Mana and Skill.

Was your income negative enough to be unable to finish the spell (without gaining extra mana from treasure or alchemy)?

It should be safe to use save/load in theory, if there are any problems with it, we want to find them so yes, use it.

@ "Was your income negative enough to be unable to finish the spell (without gaining extra mana from treasure or alchemy)?"

I do not think so. If you use the above file to start casting Sprites and click Next, you will see this.

Quote:B for build city doesn't work anymore, I noticed you changed it to "settle," but S also doesn't work, I think it goes to the city screen / unit screen

S is for Spells. "E" is free and can also be used for for all the other extra action buttons as well. (Meld, Build, Purify)

(July 15th, 2020, 13:07)Seravy Wrote: That looks horrible. The units stand on top of the trees.

I agree that looks pretty bad. Have you tried applying transparency to the trees instead of the unit?

Quote:Race to the Unknown started me on a plane with no other Wizards.

Wasn't able to reproduce this one.

Quote:I agree that looks pretty bad. Have you tried applying transparency to the trees instead of the unit?

Not yet. By the time the tree is rendered it won't "remember" which tile it was on, or what units were there, only that it's an image that goes to screen position X and Y and has a shadow. I'd need to be able to store that information which isn't really worth doing when it probably won't look any better than the other transparency solution. Basically, at the moment, transparency is for unit figures only.

(btw even if this works on forests, I'm pretty sure transparent mountains would look absolutely silly and those are way bigger than trees.)

Updated :

Quote:2020-07-15
-fixed bug : Unit production view doesn't show the unit
-Production cost of units is now displayed
-Fixed : unit view shows current ammo on the overland map instead of maximal ammo.
-Fixed bug : When a unit is surrouned and cannot move, the game freezes.
-Fixed bug : Not accepting a trade causes a range check error.
-Fixed bug : Dispelling Wave isn't forced to show animation if the target is the human player's unit.
-Fixed bug : Overland Dispelling Wave skips target seletion because combat version is not targeted.
-Fixed bug : AI Dispelling Wave targeting priority is unset instead of zero if no target was found.
-The system now precalculates which player has units on which tiles instead of checking each unit position every time the player on a tile is being checked. This speeds up AI turns significantly.
-The system now precalculates which node, lair, or city is on each tile likewise.
-Same as above for number of units on each tile.
-Fixed bug : tower owner status is not refreshed after units die.
-Fixed bug : Fairy Ring doesn't check for 9 unit on tile limits to push extra units away.
-Fixed bug : AI doesn't set the target for Ressurrection spell, causing a range check error.
-Astrologer AI wizards now consider nodes as important battles for combat spellcasting.
-Battles with enemy heroes don't count as important battles for AI spellcasting anymore.
-Fixed bug : AI considered noncity battles as if they were fortress battles.
-AI will now spend less mana in unimportant battles they are expected to lose and/or on unimportant spells
-Fixed bug : AI units using their spellability causes the game to crash
-Fixed bug : When AI casts Enchant Item or Create Artifact, no item was selected to be created
-The 'C' hotkey now centers on the selected unit (Cities is now reachable by the F10 key only)
-Fixed bug : hotkeys don't work on the city screen
-Next Turn button now has the hotkey 'N'
-Extra actions Meld/Build/Settle can now be used with the 'E' hotkey.
-Fixed bug : Displayed number of turns left for overland spells ignores MP already spent into the spell in previous turns.
-Fixed bug : Clicking on Housing/Trade goods in the queue removes it, breaking the contents of the queue and causing duplicate entries.
-Fixed bug : "Declare War on" menu crashes
-It is now possible to leave the "treaty" menu by right clicking or pressing Esc.
-Esc now works on the Game Screen
-Fixed bug : Leaving the Game Screen doesn't save settings to disk.
-Cartographer will no longer loop through smaller maps.
-Minimaps will no longer loop through smaller maps.
-Clicking on the Cartographer map will center it on that position.
-Leaving the Cartographer will now properly center the screen on the center of the last viewed cartographer area instead of setting the corner of the screen to that position.
-Fixed bug : AI units in towers counted as being on both sides at once resulting in the unit's coordinates getting out-of-synch with their plane, basically teleporting to a different tile, possibly triggering range check errors if the tile had no room for more units.
-Fixed range check error when a neutral unit tries to cast a spell in a city battle
-Adjusted Sea to Land ratio from 1/6 to 1/6.5

I wanted to add the "lose game" and SoM screens today but the whole day got used up on fixing bugs.

In the next turn: "Range check error."

Attached Files
.zip   3.zip (Size: 136.27 KB / Downloads: 1)