As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

(July 18th, 2020, 19:38)ksasaki Wrote: Idea: can we have some sort of uber lair which had some fantastic hero, maybe a Torin like guy with some unique spell, which would yield unique treasures (maybe some super doom bolt or something)?  It could be an optional game mode, but I always found it fun to defeat the guardian of Orion in master of Orion, though not strictly necessary to win the game.

This was working in Master of Orion because it had neither heroes nor combat spells so the only way to beat the guardian was to build a very strong and expensive fleet to do so. In Master of Magic this would simply break the game because there will be ways to beat it earlier than intended no matter what. It's also bad because the AI doesn't use the same combat rules as human players in this game. So it would either be at a massive disadvantage (most likely) or would get it too easily (less likely unless we put in a lot of effort to design it in a way that makes it AI friendly)

Updated :

Quote:2020-07-19
-Fixed bug : Game crashes when an item is lost to a neutral player in battle.
-Fixed bug : Game crashes with range check error when AI tries to set the slider cost for a spell.
-Fixed bug : Stoning Gaze doesn't work.
-Fixed bug : Death and Stoning gaze used wrong save modifier.
-City walls in combat will now use one of the 3 sets of city wall graphics at random.
-Added combat Info screen

If you click in capital the game will freeze.

Attached Files
.zip   3.zip (Size: 128.45 KB / Downloads: 1)

Notes from a test-game with the current Alpha version:

-         Lairs are no longer placed on minerals, but map generation can place Towers on minerals.
-         The pointer to move 4-move-Torin in combat sometimes shows 5 in the bushes.
-         Occasionally but not always the wizard´s spellbook can be opened during combat, even if there are no more spells to choose from.
-         Long Item names mean that texts in the Hero stats are superimposed. If the abilities start on the next page, this will be resolved or the end of the long names shortened. Sometimes the arrows cover an explanatory number of the abilities. This could be fixed if the arrows scroll 2 instead of 4 lines, which makes the use on the other side less comfortable. A better solution would be to have a wider window, but it is disproportionately difficult to program.
-         If there are spellcasting units in combat, pressing >Spell< opens the pop-up window >Who will cast<. It would be quicker to close this window by clicking outside or Esc instead of opening and closing a spellbook. Fractions of a second are crucial in an action game.
-         Several buildings can be selected on the City-screen at the same time. It could be a problem once the sale of buildings is added.
-         It is not possible to find the Summoning Circle when it is in an Outpost while casting an overland spell. The right-click-graphics could show it. This was overlooked or could not be changed in MOM/COM.
-         I’m not sure if this is a new feature: I attacked rampaging monsters twice in the same turn. Skeletons were still injured and Werewolves were still under Warp Creature´s influence in the second fight.
The save file contains a Unicorn monster, that retreated after stalling. >Next< turn it will attack Torin again. Press >Flee< >Yes< in the first turn of the battle to teleport Torin to the North Pole.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   20200720_Torin_explores_North_Pole.zip (Size: 45.87 KB / Downloads: 1)

Quote:The pointer to move 4-move-Torin in combat sometimes shows 5 in the bushes.
Not a bug, that's how the movement rules work in this game.
If the unit has at least 0.5 moves left, it can move another tile, even if that tile costs more than available.
Bushes cost 2 for the total cost is 5 but the total cost before the last tile is only 3 so the hero can enter the bushes.

Quote:Several buildings can be selected on the City-screen at the same time. It could be a problem once the sale of buildings is added.
I thought I reduced the clickareas of the buildings in a previous update. Is it still too large?

Quote:I’m not sure if this is a new feature: I attacked rampaging monsters twice in the same turn. Skeletons were still injured and Werewolves were still under Warp Creature´s influence in the second fight.

Damage stays on the units unless they are inside the lair. Warp Creature staying is a bug.

Quote:Long Item names mean that texts in the Hero stats are superimposed.
Not only items, but long ability names too. I thought I used the same font as the original game but maybe not?
I don't remember this being an issue there so I wonder what's the difference.

Update :

Quote:2020-07-20
-fixed bug : City rendering freezes in cities with too much buildings and population if there is a spell effect that counts as a building (like Summoning Circle).
-Added random events
-Stroke of Genius event now produces RP equal to the average cost of all spells visible and selectable for research, but a maximum of 9999, instead of setting the current spell to completed status. Excess RP does carry over to the next spell(s).
-New random event : Monster Invasion. Each tile near any player's territory has a chance to spawn a stack of one randomly determined monster (highest monster lair cost available scales up by turn count). Monsters Gone Wild setting doubles tha chance for spawns on each tile.
-New random event : Atlantis. A new continent of 3x3 tiles (or fewer) raises from the sea. The continent contains 3 monster lairs with high monster budgets. One of those contains a Very Rare spell, the other two randomly contains a large sum of mana crystals, a rare spell, a high budget artifact, or two medium budget artifacts.
-Fixed bug : Gold/Mana becomes negative if maintenance wasn't paid but there was nothing to disband either.
-Fixed bug : Using the spellbook ends the turn.
-Adjusted overland river generation : river should turn less and have a slightly higher chance to end in a lake.
-Fixed bug : When a unit has a multiple of 8 lines of abilities, an empty page is added.
-Fixed bug : Game crashes when the AI considers casting Terror or Gate of Hades.
-Fixed bug : Combat rivers are connected to overland river tiles in all directions instead of only to the direction the river actually flows from/to.
-MP and movement points will no longer overlap in the combat mini unit view
-Fixed bug : Ores are not removed from under towers during map generation
-Further reduced the clickarea size when mousing over city buildings to prevent overlap.
-Fixed bug : Warp creature sets generic enchantment flag instead of combat enchantment flag, so it's not removed after battle.
-Fixed bug : Checking source and destination tile being land/sea had no effect
-Fixed bug : When the defender was fleeing, X and Y positions were set wrong

(July 20th, 2020, 17:11)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:Not a bug, that's how the movement rules work in this game.
If the unit has at least 0.5 moves left, it can move another tile, even if that tile costs more than available.
Bushes cost 2 for the total cost is 5 but the total cost before the last tile is only 3 so the hero can enter the bushes.

Alright. The number represents the sum of the costs for entering the terrain tiles to the destination. I thought it shows how many moves of the unit (whole numbers) will be used up to reach that destination. Neither makes the movement rules self-explanatory.

Findings in the latest Alpha version:

-         One map had a Quork mineral under a Tower still.
-         If many Spiders webbed all the attacking units first turn “All units are immobilized !” is written downstairs. It is "Game over !" because the buttons (Spell, Flee, Auto, Done) are also immobilized. From the save file a Lair with Spiders near the Capital can be used.
-         Click areas of buildings are much better now. Sometimes it is still possible to select 2-3 buildings. Maybe the active area of the cursor/index finger is too big ? Left-clicking them leads to a screen with 2 popup windows on top of each other like shown in the pic. A small strip of the window below is just accessible to close this.
-         The Druid hero could not attack a visible Air Elemental (Skeletons Immunity to Illusions) with magical ranged attacks.
-         The Gift from the God was nice ! A building message appeared in the wrong place after the event and destroying the gift, was the only way to continue the game.
-         After one battle Draconian Saints are a little broken. “Ranged” is not displayed anymore if right-clicking the unit on the overland map and their Healing ability is gone forever. Newly produced Saints are good again … for one battle. Some Shadow Demons and Draconian Magicians also did not display “Ranged” anymore …
-         The violation of the Wizard´s Pact can now be seen very well ! But it causes >Next< “Range check error”. Dismissing the violator on the Tower avoids the crash.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   20200722_wizards_pact_violator_bug.zip (Size: 51.67 KB / Downloads: 1)

Quote: The Druid hero could not attack a visible Air Elemental (Skeletons Immunity to Illusions) with magical ranged attacks.
That's how it is supposed to work. Only the unit with Illusion Immunity can shoot invisible units.

Updated :
Quote:2020-07-21
-Fixed bug : Holy Word casues a range check error.
-Added sound effects (music and sound effects that count as music are still missing)
-Fixed bug : buttons don't work when there is no unit selected in combat
-Units will now always display their ranged attack on the overland map regardless of remaining ammo
-Units will now always display their Spellability on the overland map regardless of it being used up in the previous combat
-Fixed bug : Spell Charges/Spellabilities don't refill when entering battle
-Fixed bug : When Gift from the Gods triggers a hero screen at the start of the turn, completion reports, hiring messages, etc are not suppressed until the screen is exited.
-Fixed bug : Wrong tiles were cleared from minerals for towers
-Fixed menu displayed at the wrong line during diplomacy additional demands
-Fixed bug : Units not belonging to the human player also display the wizard's pact violation symbol
-Fixed bug : AI Range check error when the human player has a unit on a tower.
-Fixed bug : Ranged check error when clicking on Spells while banished.
-Further reduced the clickarea on city buildings to prevent overlap