As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

(July 31st, 2020, 07:11)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:-Fixed bug : When moving units, the first unit in the stack is checked for being on the correct plane, instead of all units actually selected to move.
*This bug has returned.

*Whenever I try to cast "fly" in two heroes (mirror plane), they appear as if they were from another wizard preventing me from completing the magic.

Attached Files
.zip   1.zip (Size: 196.83 KB / Downloads: 0)

I started a nomad game and my starting city had only 10 max population, no production bonuses (so no forest) and no minerals or food bonuses. 

If a weak start is generated then perhaps you could add after some better city tiles and bonuses to make it a more even start.

Are you still accepting new testers? I took a break from gaming for a while but started playing Caster of Magic again a few weeks ago. Came here to leave some comments on balance issues and saw all these posts about CoM II, I'm excited to try it!

(August 30th, 2020, 22:10)jhsidi Wrote: Are you still accepting new testers? I took a break from gaming for a while but started playing Caster of Magic again a few weeks ago. Came here to leave some comments on balance issues and saw all these posts about CoM II, I'm excited to try it!

Sent the link.

(August 31st, 2020, 06:14)Seravy Wrote:
(August 30th, 2020, 22:10)jhsidi Wrote: Are you still accepting new testers? I took a break from gaming for a while but started playing Caster of Magic again a few weeks ago. Came here to leave some comments on balance issues and saw all these posts about CoM II, I'm excited to try it!

Sent the link.

Thank you! I binged out on it and collected some initial feedback. Apologies for whatever may be duplicated in other threads or earlier in this thread.

Bugs:

- Entering a city battle, I cast Black Prayer on turn 1 then the enemy cast Dispel Magic; that resulted in a freeze and "Range check error". The game was able to resume once I confirmed the error popup. This happened again in later battles where I also cast BP and the enemy again cast Dispel. Also saw range check error on some battles where BP was not cast, but it wasn't clear what might be causing it.
- Casting Darkness in battle resulted in a dismissable range check error.
- A ranged attack with ghouls after casting Darkness resulted in an endless loop range check error.
- In a battle of my 2 undead fire elementals vs a sprite, one elemental died, the other got webbed. When I tried to click on the webbed one to see its health, I got an endless loop range check error.
- Using a pair of orc engineers to build roads, every time I click Build the info box says "Unreachable!". Then the road appears instantly.
- A movement bug seems to have carried over from Master of Magic: when a mixed stack of 3-move land heroes and sprites moves onto a river tile, they only get to move 1 tile. So I have to split up and move the sprites first, then the heroes, to get the full 2 moves.
- Confusion (and possibly black sleep) seem to be hitting far too often on units with 7-8 resistance. For example, in a battle I just had, I successfully cast confusion 4 times in a row on units with 7 res. With some save scum testing, I cast it 4+ times in a row successfully on chimeras.
- Sometimes when I'm supposedly going to get a prisoner in tower rewards, the prisoner isn't granted. I was able to replicate this in a save game by killing the last monster in the tower with confusion, which meant that the next turn I entered the tower to no fight. About 30% of the time I loaded and retried, it said I got a prisoner but there wasn't one.
- Right after I broke the above tower, I watched an enemy wizard's stack of 7 sprites and 1 Captain level hero break a tower containing 5 great lizard + 3 stone giant, with no losses. I understand the formula allows odd results sometimes but I felt it might somehow be related to the stack having targeted the empty tower I'd broken, then retargeted to another tower and gotten the automatic win it was owed from the other tower on that one. For this bug and the previous one I kept a save file where you can see it happening -- just move the stack onto the tower to the north, then proceed to next turn to see the enemy stack break the tower 3 tiles to the south. Here's the save file link: https://ufile.io/xzbnne10

- Using a pair of orc engineers to build roads, every time I click Build I get a popup that says "Unreachable!". Then the road appears instantly.
- The "Wizard defeats wizard!" animation plays a bit slow.
- When the error popup appears the mouse cursor can no longer be seen on screen, which makes it pretty difficult to click the OK button.
- Forest battles: would prefer if there were 50% less trees, it's difficult for me to parse the units.
- Forest battles: tactically, I'd have a lot more fun with these if there were some clear spots in the forest, maybe 10-20% of the forest overall, that my ranged units could move into. With the entire map being 2-move forest I feel like I just have few options in how the battle can play out- The "Wizard defeats wizard!" animation plays a bit slow.

- I killed an enemy hero with an axe; after the battle, I didn't get the axe. Just to make sure it wasn't due to some effect, I tried again and killed him with a normal shot. Still nothing. Do we no longer get enemy hero's items?
- The "Wizard defeats wizard!" animation plays a bit slow.

Suggestions:
- I wish there were an auto-battle that allowed me to tell my troops to just stand around.
- One thing I think would really be nice to see is a bunch of new heroes, particularly if they could be sorted so you only get certain heroes depending on which types of magic you can use or how many books you have. I'd be happy to help brainstorm new heroes.

Actually, I noticed that I had an older save, so I just hit next turn to observe whether the Myrror wizard broke the tower that I'd taken in my other save with its stack of 7 sprites and 1 Captain-level Draconian (none of them have enchantments or items).

Answer was: yes, it breaks a tower with 4 great lizard and 1 great wyrm, with no losses. So it seems more reasonable that the same stack also broke a tower of 5 great lizards and 3 stone giants.

Either result is impossible and suggests that something is seriously wrong with sprites auto-resolve, even if wizard casting skill is factored in.

Quote:- Entering a city battle, I cast Black Prayer on turn 1 then the enemy cast Dispel Magic; that resulted in a freeze and "Range check error". The game was able to resume once I confirmed the error popup. This happened again in later battles where I also cast BP and the enemy again cast Dispel. Also saw range check error on some battles where BP was not cast, but it wasn't clear what might be causing it.
Please post the save file for this.
Edit : nevermind, fixing the tower bug changed the save format so I can't load them anymore.

Quote:- A movement bug seems to have carried over from Master of Magic: when a mixed stack of 3-move land heroes and sprites moves onto a river tile, they only get to move 1 tile. So I have to split up and move the sprites first, then the heroes, to get the full 2 moves.

That's not a bug, that's a game mechanic. Units move together, with the shared movement type, not alone. If units moved alone, Pathfindng, windwalking, boats, etc would not work.

Quote:I killed an enemy hero with an axe; after the battle, I didn't get the axe. Just to make sure it wasn't due to some effect, I tried again and killed him with a normal shot. Still nothing. Do we no longer get enemy hero's items?

You should get the items unless the hero dies to irrecoverable damage.

Quote:- I wish there were an auto-battle that allowed me to tell my troops to just stand around.

Hold the "D" key for done. You can disable the animations to make it faster by the "Q" key.

Quote:One thing I think would really be nice to see is a bunch of new heroes, particularly if they could be sorted so you only get certain heroes depending on which types of magic you can use or how many books you have. I'd be happy to help brainstorm new heroes.

That's planned for later. The difficult part in it is someone has to create the portraits and animations for the new heroes. For the time being we don't even have them for most new spells.

Quote:Answer was: yes, it breaks a tower with 4 great lizard and 1 great wyrm, with no losses. So it seems more reasonable that the same stack also broke a tower of 5 great lizards and 3 stone giants.

Either result is impossible and suggests that something is seriously wrong with sprites auto-resolve, even if wizard casting skill is factored in.

Flying ranged stacks don't take damage from melee land units. If there were enough flying ranged units with enough attack power, the result might be possible but it's more likely another bug.

Quote:Sometimes when I'm supposedly going to get a prisoner in tower rewards, the prisoner isn't granted. I was able to replicate this in a save game by killing the last monster in the tower with confusion, which meant that the next turn I entered the tower to no fight. About 30% of the time I loaded and retried, it said I got a prisoner but there wasn't one.

Wasn't able to reproduce this one but there was a different bug, using the Plane button to swap towers caused the hero to "teleport" to the tile below the tower instead of staying on the same tile. Maybe that's why you thought the prisoner disappeared?

Quote:- Confusion (and possibly black sleep) seem to be hitting far too often on units with 7-8 resistance. For example, in a battle I just had, I successfully cast confusion 4 times in a row on units with 7 res. With some save scum testing, I cast it 4+ times in a row successfully on chimeras.

Tested this but it works properly, even checked the resistance of the unit and save modifier variables in memory and they were both correct.

Updated :

Quote:2020-09-01
-Darkness costs 20 MP
-Fixed bug : Darkness causes range check error
-Fixed bug : Attacking a lair that has 0 defenders left still asks if you want to enter as if it had monsters
-Fixed bug : Shifting planes with the Plane button does not recalculate visibility.
-Fixed bug : Conversion of coorditantes between planes was still not consistent and caused units using towers to appear one tile away from the tower.
-Fixed bug : AI was casting Raise Dead and Animate Dead without a target to revive.
-Fixed bug : Visibility is not recalculated after combat so units are not displayed on the other side of a tower after combat.
-Fixed bug : Automatic combat physical ranged attack damage wasn't applied (stone giants, bowmen etc)
-Fixed bug : Automatic combat flight damage wasn't calculated correctly.
(note : the above two changes are untested)
-Added Vampire monster image provided by Slingers

In this new build, I'm frequently getting a range check error when researching new spells. Here's a file for it -- I didn't have a manual save so hopefully I picked the right auto-save: https://ufile.io/f71i5lly

Side note, it would be good if the auto saves were cleaned up when they're maybe 20 turns old? An hour of playing and I've already got 50+ files = 1.5gb.