As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Bugs:
- End turn endless loop exception, I think on Raven's turn: https://ufile.io/rry7exmp 
- You can lose fame from killing high-value enemy units and having the battle end in a draw. I noticed this before when I was sniping enemy heroes -- I'd kill it with reaper slash then flee (without losing any units while fleeing), and even though the enemy hero was the only unit that died, I'd lose 1 fame. You can also test it here; take Greyfairer and the wraithform efreet onto the adjacent nature node and kill the great wyrm, then let the timer for the battle run out. You'll lose fame. Actually, there may be something else going on here; I tried the same battle and just use flee on the first turn. I made it out with no losses but lost a fame point. https://ufile.io/22njzdrp
- Same file, I got an endturn exception; I was able to hit enter and keep playing. These pop up sometimes and usually can't be replicated when trying the endturn again, though...
- Same file, after I won the battle in the same nature node I encountered an endless loop exception by trying to destroy the first item I received. But I can still destroy other items. So it's something about treasure from this node, perhaps? 
- Continuing with that node I waited until the next turn and conquered the node using the hero and efreet, and that time it gave me an endless loo exception as soon as the battle ended. Went back and tried with the doom bat and chaos spawn instead; that time I got the exception in the middle of battle. Here's the file: https://ufile.io/gwbh3ev6
- Here's another node that causes exceptions when it's defeated, adjacent to Jaer's stack: https://ufile.io/t3rub566
- And here's a lair that causes an exception before the battle starts, south of Jaer's stack: https://ufile.io/5ast4kja
- Same file, demon lords still do not cast their summon demon spell. Click wait once to switch to Greyfairer's stack and go into the demon lord lair adjacent to him to check.
- The demons lord lair grants a spellbook when they're defeated. Not sure if this is a bug but: I haven't received a retort during any of my playthroughs, out of maybe 10 picks gained? Could they not be getting granted for some reason?

Notes:
- I get Insulation on items a lot. Like 50% of all low / mid power items received in this particular playthrough. Haven't been specifically tracking on all playthroughs but I feel like it's quite frequent in every game. Maybe it's just the cheapest enchantment that can be slapped on to round out the point distribution? If so it feels underrated; it's fairly powerful and useful when fighting Chaos wizards, so it feels a bit like cheating to just have it on every hero. 
- By the way, is there a document like the CoM1 help file I can refer to? I don't know where to find stuff like the enchantment cost for insulation.
- Whenever I cast Aura of Majesty I seem to get threatening messages from other wizards about it. Does it have a relations malus? Seems a bit self-defeating for a spell that's supposed to make the others like me more. Also just odd; I cast Zombie Mastery and nobody cared, but I got 4 or 5 messages about AoM. One seems much more threatening than the other.

Quote:- End turn endless loop exception, I think on Raven's turn: https://ufile.io/rry7exmp

Unfortunately it looks like it's still possible to generate maps with disconnected towers that lead to the AI plane changing onto a tile with someone else's unit which causes errors (more than 9 units on the tile).
That is the most likely reason for most other random errors that show up.

(September 20th, 2020, 07:59)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:- End turn endless loop exception, I think on Raven's turn: https://ufile.io/rry7exmp

Unfortunately it looks like it's still possible to generate maps with disconnected towers that lead to the AI plane changing onto a tile with someone else's unit which causes errors (more than 9 units on the tile).
That is the most likely reason for most other random errors that show up.

I get instances where I click "Plane" and my stack appears somewhere a tile or two away from the tower. It seems a bit unpredictable though. Probably needs you to test it to figure out what's happening.

*When creating a "Staff" artifact+6 attack (Serena in savefile), I noticed that it gives +6 to the mage in range but not melee, which gives only +4.

*No help text for cloak of fear in hero's sheet.

----
Is there a practical difference between teleporting and merging?

Here's a weird one. I decided to try out a game at Phantasm difficulty with all the schools of magic, for trading. I kept seeing odd visual stuff like spells being cast over the ocean on nothing...

On this end turn, note the stack of 2 longbowmen between my cities. One has flame blade on it. But on the next turn, it's gone... stranger than that, the first time I played this turn my mana went to -475, but that didn't repeat when I replayed the end turn.

Before flame blade disappears: https://ufile.io/uijgo9bj
The turn after, when I had -475 mana: https://ufile.io/oeipzl8x

Playing one more turn after that, my overland spellbook changed to the battle spellbook and I couldn't cast anything, then my mana changed a couple more times while a spell animation played repeatedly on the overland map. Maybe there are some crossed references here.. anyway, game over since Freya showed up with giant spiders in my capitol.

Quote:- The demons lord lair grants a spellbook when they're defeated. Not sure if this is a bug but: I haven't received a retort during any of my playthroughs, out of maybe 10 picks gained? Could they not be getting granted for some reason?

Retorts have a 25% chance while books have 75% chance so probably just bad luck.

Quote:- By the way, is there a document like the CoM1 help file I can refer to? I don't know where to find stuff like the enchantment cost for insulation.

No, there isn't. There was a changelog in the initial post plus all the update changes but otherwise, no. Documentation is the last thing to create because it gets outdated as changes are made otherwise.

Quote:Is there a practical difference between teleporting and merging?

Merging grants immunity to Crack's Call.
Teleporting adds +1 move for now but maybe we should come up with something more interesting...

Quote:*When creating a "Staff" artifact+6 attack (Serena in savefile), I noticed that it gives +6 to the mage in range but not melee, which gives only +4.

Staves, Wands and Bows are ranged weapons. They don't add to melee attack.

Quote:On this end turn, note the stack of 2 longbowmen between my cities. One has flame blade on it. But on the next turn, it's gone...

That unit has combat flame blade on it. How you managed to not lose it after the end of combat is a mystery.

(September 20th, 2020, 10:01)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:On this end turn, note the stack of 2 longbowmen between my cities. One has flame blade on it. But on the next turn, it's gone...

That unit has combat flame blade on it. How you managed to not lose it after the end of combat is a mystery.

That unit has never been in combat, so you've got two mysteries there.

(September 20th, 2020, 10:19)jhsidi Wrote:
(September 20th, 2020, 10:01)Seravy Wrote:

That unit has never been in combat, so you've got two mysteries there.

Well, in that case, the most likely explanation is :

"I kept seeing odd visual stuff like spells being cast over the ocean on nothing..."

So, is there a save file for one of those battles? I couldn't find a bug in the code that would allow targeting out-of-combat units but there has to be one.

"Playing one more turn after that, my overland spellbook changed to the battle spellbook and I couldn't cast anything, then my mana changed a couple more times while a spell animation played repeatedly on the overland map."

Or this, this sounds like after battle the "in combat" status wasn't cleared. Which would of course result in all the units from that previous battle still being "in combat" so the AI might see and target them. Or possibly cast their overland flame blade as if it was combat or stuff like that.

Quote:Or this, this sounds like after battle the "in combat" status wasn't cleared. Which would of course result in all the units from that previous battle still being "in combat" so the AI might see and target them. Or possibly cast their overland flame blade as if it was combat or stuff like that.

I think at that point I'd actually never had a battle at all. So maybe one of the other wizards was causing bugs with some battle they went into.