As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Had a strange bug, can't reproduce it though. When I started a turn, it opened up an AI wizard's city screen instead of my own, and the map area on the top right corner was all black. When I pressed OK it moved to my own city afterwards. It doesn't seem to be in the log and I don't know what might have caused it.

In theory the log file refreshes instantly...except writing is cached (by the system or idk) so you can't read it. You need to close the game to force closing the file. Maybe I should add a debug key to do that.

One problem I notice in that log file - the damage doesn't seem to take full effect?

9 Gargoyles have 16*8 = 96 HP.

Damage they were supposed to take but couldn't is dealt to their attack strength instead as a percentage to simulate not fighting actively.

On turn one that's 52 damage, roughly 50%. So their damage output the next turn should be halved. Then after the 42, and 35 damage it should drop to zero but it does not.

Unless the army had other units...

Oh, I know what's the problem.

This is what happens :

First it takes the 50% "damage" reducing attack by 50%.

So far it works correctly.
But the army is still at full health and damage is compared to health to determine the attack loss ratio.
So next time it takes 50 damage, it won't drop to zero. It's still "only" 50% damage so it halves the attack again.

Taken flying damage needs to be stored in a separate army variable and total health should be reduced by that amount when calculating the ratio of melee reduction, otherwise it will always underrate the damage on all but the first attack.

Some new observations:
-In city combat, sometimes the city tiles have terrain causing movement to be used up at more than 1 per square. Rivers and other things are showing up inside of the city squares.
-The bottom left corner tower square on the city combat maps cannot be occupied by ground units, but can be occupied by enemy flying units, who then effectively "sneak in" to attack the defending units at the gate or the side wall without wall bonus, unlike in COM I where they were forced to go around to an undefended area. I don't yet have flying units of my own to test whether it works with my own units.
-Barbarian settlers no longer have the -33% cost reduction documented in the COM I readme. I don't remember if this was ever removed in COM I.
-Human Priests start with 3 magical ranged attack instead of 5? I haven't produced any human priests, but was offered a Veteran Mercenary that only had 5 magical ranged attack.

Quote:-The bottom left corner tower square on the city combat maps cannot be occupied by ground units, but can be occupied by enemy flying units, who then effectively "sneak in" to attack the defending units at the gate or the side wall without wall bonus, unlike in COM I where they were forced to go around to an undefended area. I don't yet have flying units of my own to test whether it works with my own units.

It worked correctly for me yesterday and I see nothing wrong in the code. Maybe the wall section was destroyed by Wall Crusher?

Quote:-Human Priests start with 3 magical ranged attack instead of 5? I haven't produced any human priests, but was offered a Veteran Mercenary that only had 5 magical ranged attack.

This sounds more like the veteran bonus not being applied to the unit before it's actually hired.

Quote:2020-10-09
-Fixed bug : "phantom" roads are sometimes shown starting from where a real road leaves the screen.
-Fixed bug : Disabling the rendering of trees changes the rest of the generated terrain.
-Pressing T in combat will now only remove rendering trees for that combat. Changing the global setting is required to make it permanent.
-Undead color no longer overrides color change from warp creature
-Pandora's Box now plays the combat summonig sound
-Fixed bug : auto fails to use ranged attacks if the target isn't reachable for melee.
-Merchant items after turn 120 now have a budget of 1000+RND(RND(3000)) instead of "unlimited".
-"Unlimited" item budget is no longer supported (nothing except merchant was using it), this should get rid of the "item with no powers" bug.
-Increased the accuracy of flying effect in automatic combat. (cumulative prevented damage to flying unit is now stored, enabling the damage to be additive. This amount of disabled hp is also logged.)
-Added missing feature : Nomad, Barbarian, Dwarven and Lizardmen settlers have a non-standard cost.
-Added debug key for closing and reopening the log file (SHIFT-L), use this to force writing the contents onto the disk immediately.
-Fixed bug : defeat screen and item info windown shown at the same time.
-The AI is now able to cast Sky Fires
-Fixed bug : Pandora's Box can summon Floating Island in battle

(October 9th, 2020, 03:30)Seravy Wrote: It worked correctly for me yesterday and I see nothing wrong in the code. Maybe the wall section was destroyed by Wall Crusher?

No I'm quite sure the wall wasn't destroyed. I don't think there was any unit capable of doing that, and even if there was, the graphics definitely didn't show it. It was still the normal tower graphic. Is it even possible to destroy the tower square? I've never seen that happen in COM I and thought it was just an indestructible/unmovable square. Unfortunately I can't replicate this without having an enemy unit choosing to fly onto it, which hasn't ever happened since, or until I get flying units of my own to test during an attack.

Yes it's is possible to destroy, always has been. (it's the best thing to target using Disrupt, if not the gate)

I have seen an Air Elemental enter the tower tile today, but Air Elementals are Non-Corporeal so they can.

is there still room to get in the party?

(October 12th, 2020, 14:03)Domon Wrote: is there still room to get in the party?

Yes, download link sent!

found bug, on city screen (governor) it hangs on unhandled exception when clicking around

Attached Files
.zip   TURN57.zip (Size: 85.4 KB / Downloads: 2)