As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Quote:Has anyone gotten COM II to work under Wine? I've tried it, the no sound version, and it simply crashes before starting, without any useful information on what sort of exception caused the crash.

CoM I was reported to cause issues with case sensitivity, if that applies under Wine then that's the answer. I didn't pay any attention to the file names when loading because windows is not case sensitive. So there is exactly 0% chance the files are the same case as the filenames being loaded.

World size depends on the combination of the land setting and number of players. Try 1 opponent on Tiny. Basically if you set opponents to 13 you'll be playing on several times larger maps than if you use the standard 4 opponents.

Having played with the sizes and opponents settings quite a bit, I can say that a minimal size map 1v1 is a just one shared tiny island, resulting in a very close start and very fast game. Maximal 13 players is... vast. As in you may take 20 years to explore part of the starting plane’s map vast.

Also, certain retorts and/or spells gain or lose value depending on game length as well. Another thing you’ll want to keep in mind during game setup. Conflict happens fast on minimal. Much slower when it takes 20 years to find your opponent.

You have to take into account the number of opponents you want when selecting map size and size down if you’re increasing opponents. 13 minimal may end up being average sized but crowded with opponents. 1 large would be an opponent empty average map (give or take). That kind of thing.

The range of sizes was a bit shocking at first, but you’ll eventually zero in on what you prefer.

I might suggest setting up a few comparison games that you don’t intend to play and using the shift+O to reveal the map (you won’t be able to reload, these games are just for looking at map sizes).

@Seravy The grid lines are wonderfully useful. Can the lines be a tiny bit thinner? Have you played around with that yet?

I'm pretty sure they are exactly 1 pixel thick.. the game runs on 320x200 internal resolution.

Fair enough then about line thickness. As always, TY for the reply! It’s easy to forget the actual engine limitations when I have the game stretched to 1800 x 1200.

I was just thinking the red grid lines were a bit jarring, graphically, at that magnification.

Are they still pretty visible in black? Or do they disappear into the other graphics?
Their visibility is obviously primary, and then secondary the aesthetics. No reason not to try for both if possible.

Did you finish your test game, or abandon once you found stuff to fix? ?

CoM 2 is definitely harder than vanilla MoM. The AI is smarter. The loopholes to abuse are closed. Balance is improved. The increased number of opponents and bigger maps available. It’s a much more “lifelike” experience vs the computer opponents.

Abandoned for this reason : https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/show...#pid766259

Also I suspect the AI performs extremely poorly when playing as Trolls. This was noticeable even in CoM I but it's even worse now.

I do have one complaint: instead of simply exiting a game, I have to click the "lose" button. That bothers me. I just wanted to start a game to see if it would run, and then to see how the map settings changed things. I didn't want a record of me losing games. Okay, it doesn't really matter, but it did bother me to have to choose "lose' _and_ have to see the record.

You can close the game window by the X to quit. There is no room for a dedicated Quit button.