As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Some first impressions after the great recent changes:
  • Huaha! The most botched new city graphic has turned into the exe icon! In any case, I will atone for my sin.
  • If you click on >Custom Items< on the main screen, a Range check error is displayed if the "Lose" button was previously used. The Create Artifact screen from the spell must have been opened and closed beforehand in-game to cause this.
  • Pressing "Spell Charges" in >Custom Items< froze the screen once. This could not be reproduced so far.
  • Going through 250 items with arrows seems a bit tedious. How about an alternative entry of the number?
  • 3 help texts for custom items are still missing: Death, Teleportation, Invisibility.
  • Swapping the "Settings" and "Custom Items" texts on the main screen may look better.

Quote:2021-01-12
-Fixed bug : Custom Item crash if Create Artifact was used.
-Added button to scroll custom items by 10s
-Fixed bug : Death/Inviisble/Teleporting help text doesn't show in custom item editor.
-Swapped custom items and settings in the main menu
-Added Esc hotkey and a configurable hotkey (O) to leave custom item/enchant item screen.

It seems that with the inclusion of one more option on the main screen, the screen was not in an ideal configuration, a little higher vertical (and consequently distorted). I use a free window.

Some notes on the new Custom Items screen:
  • While you are entering a different name for an item, the letter “o” closes the screen.
  • After a single manual naming of an item, the automatic name suggestions are no longer displayed.
  • Phew ! 98 different Spell Charges to choose from! Perhaps the trick with the second arrow could also be done here one day.
  • Stepping through the items should also work backwards – from 1 back to 241 or 250 aso.
  • One day in the distant future, when there is nothing more urgent left to code, the Spell Charges might be written in the colour of their realm or with a realm symbol. Something similar could be helpful in other places like Globals on the wizard screen and in the list of spells for Spell Binding.
There was a strange bug in the last version [Shift O and Shift P are used]:

->Yellows Death Knights unit on the Nature Node [80 30] is the only active unit in the attached save file. Somehow it jumped into the players army as an orange Behemoth. Moving it or dismissing the Behemoth will result in a Range check error. After "Patrol" it will be permanently shapeshifted into a Behemoth on the player side next turn.

Attached Files
.zip   20210112_unexpected_behemoth.zip (Size: 85.31 KB / Downloads: 2)

If you're still accepting playtesters, I would like to join.

Quote:->Yellows Death Knights unit on the Nature Node [80 30] is the only active unit in the attached save file. Somehow it jumped into the players army as an orange Behemoth. Moving it or dismissing the Behemoth will result in a Range check error. After "Patrol" it will be permanently shapeshifted into a Behemoth on the player side next turn.

The crash happens because of the usual reason, two different players having a unit on the same tile.
This looks like the case of an end-of-combat error. It probably was a Behemoth defending that node. Do you have a save from the previous turn so we can see how and why it turns into your unit?

Meanwhile, update :

Quote:2021-01-13
-Fixed bug : 'O' exits Artifact screen while inputting item name.
-Added scroll by 10s to menus when number of menu items exceed 19.
-Yesno windows take priority on the UI over menu windows.
-Scrolling between items now loops around (250<>1)
-Fixed bug : No trading option didn't affect AI trades
-Fixed bug : Empty custom item slots were not excluded when rolling for a custom item treasure.
-Fixed bug : Autosaves happen during AI Time Stop turns, overloading the save system and resulting in Out of Memory errors as the AI takes their turns way too quickly.
-Fixed bug : Attempting to close the game freezes if there is a red message on screen
-Added new item type : 'Vial'.
Each plane contains one plus half as many vial treasure as there are pick treasure and uses 800 treasure budget.
Vials are consumable items that can permanently add a new ability to a hero.
They can be destroyed to create 1000 MP.
Capacity and Arcane Power Vials require the hero to have the appropriate type of ranged attack.

(January 13th, 2021, 12:46)Seravy Wrote: The crash happens because of the usual reason, two different players having a unit on the same tile.
This looks like the case of an end-of-combat error. It probably was a Behemoth defending that node. Do you have a save from the previous turn so we can see how and why it turns into your unit?
The Nature Node [Arc. 80 30] was guarded in the previous turn by Gorgons and War Bears. (1. Save file) The yellow forces will conquer the Node after >Next< and that’s it. Orange me has no units in the area. Only the violet wizard has been contacted so far. It doesn’t matter if Omnivision is enabled and all the AI units are visible as they move during the turn or not. At first it doesn´t seem to be reproducible … until after reloading a random number of times … it happens again! … and another time with the Sorcery node [Arc. 96 62] and the green wizards Great Wyrm on it. (2. Save file) If this error occurs, an error message is displayed during the AI move, which can be clicked away. An orange Behemoth spawns just as well after >Patrol< and >Next< from the Sorcery node. … Or how about a Hydra from Purple’ s Great Wyrm on an undestroyed Lair [Myrror 25 46]? (3. Save file) ... Easy come easy go! These Behemoths and Hydras only last one fight, then they're gone.

Attached Files
.zip   20210114_the_previous_turn.zip (Size: 80.95 KB / Downloads: 1)
.zip   20210114_unexpected_behemoth_from_elsewhere.zip (Size: 85.13 KB / Downloads: 1)
.zip   20210114_unexpected_hydra.zip (Size: 85.53 KB / Downloads: 1)

• The new city and fortress city graphics are sometimes not in the center of the tile or units around them cover the flag. Improved but similar versions are now in the same place in the graphics thread.
  • While looking at the city graphics, I stumbled across the frontal view of hills and mountains on the overland map. While deserts, tundra, river and sorcery nodes - all positioned very centrally in the tile, for example - hills and mountains seem to be positioned up to half a tile too high compared to a central positioning. Hills and mountain tiles can contain half a grassland tile, half a forest tile is a forest. This issue was discussed earlier and led to the option for legacy mountains. I just mention it one more time in case it is supereasy to fix.
  • The new quick arrows for selecting spell charges in Custom items are funny. Always the inactive one is lit. It does not matter. The mouse wheel works so well here.

I tried many times but never got the bug.
However, the Behemoth did have "combatsummoned" set to true. I did a search but nowhere in the source does it set that flag to true outside of actual human player combat where such spells are cast.
Another thing worth noticing is that both creatures regenerate.
A third point of interest, the lair in question is also still on the tile which should be impossible.

What error message was it? The red one that's part of the game, or the popup window which means it already crashed? If the latter then playing beyond that point already means you might have corrupted data so then it can be a completely unrelated bug as well.