As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

200) (again)
My units ain't doing anything. Just ending my turn on a tower can put my units into "combat mode", even without anything else happening that turn. Just staying on the tower next turn can then remove the combat flag again, and later it can get a combat flag again without moving or doing anything. Can't quite figure out any system in when it happens..
But on this save it happens every time I press next to the group next to Ebonsway.. Later turns it happens sometimes but mostly not..
Waiting for next turn or winning a fight clears the combat flag..

I have tried that the group next to Stony Peak was in "combat" for 10 turns straight.. Didn't get removed until I moved them away from the tower..
I havn't seen this bug before.. I have used "disconnected" world generation thingy on this map, can the towers from the two worlds be disaligned so it thinks i'm standing on another spot on Arcanus where there is an enemy group?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61bj2nmbdl36ti...s.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/msokmb24pw6po1...s.sav?dl=0

201) (again)
When the world is covered from coast to coast with volcanoes or forest there is no point in chain casting change terrain, those spots will be instantly turned again next turn anyway..
Might make sense in the beginning of the game, when there are many spots the overland spells can target or if the AI had any intention of dispelling the overland spells at some point..

205)
The overland event Aether flux is not mentioned in the combat [info] buttom as active.. Like Divine Order, Counter non-nature, Nature Node Aura etc.
Chaos Conjunction is mentioned though when it is active.. Unsure about the other conjunctions..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm0osb0k940i6k...o.png?dl=0

206)
I can't cast Magic immunity on the unit with magic immunity.. I can't cast invisibility on units with invisibility.. I can't cast guardian wind on missile immunity units.. And I can't cast flying on flying units..
But I can cast Wind walking on the tree natural wind walking units.. (Djinn, Air ship and hero). Yes, the wind walking spell is a speed upgrade to all of them..
And I can cast regeneration 2 on units with lower regeneration.. But not on natural regeneration 2 units..
But back to the I can't cast flying on flying units. Draconian settlers have flying and speed 1. Flying spell gives flying but it also gives minimum 3 movement..
All draconian units have 2 movement, except for doom drakes and air ship. So they can't get the extra speed from the spell..
Shouldn't it be possible to cast flying on units with less than 3 speed too then? Pretty minor thing. Guess I just like consistency in rules.. Dunno..

207)
Casting Chaos Channels on a ship (demon wings) gives instand "wind walking" unit, getting a "rare"-level effect form just an uncommon spell.. Seems a bit strong.. Sure.. It is risky over water if attacked.. But still..
Is this intended? Back in MOM chaos channels would never give flying to sailing units..
https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Ch...emon_Wings

208)
Mystic surge cast on The necromancer with Chaos channel (flying), the surge gave him undead status, arfter battle undead is gone.. Fight was a draw..
I tried to Mystic surge alot of heroes, but I just can't seem to make undead heroes anymore.. The undead status is also alot more rare now and it vanish from heroes. Normal units keep it though..
But I managed to give Orihalcon to both normal and hero units..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x196dwkarq6dnc...d.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6k65hrmmekzd6...d.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bhmhml4ocvmq5...d.sav?dl=0

Addendum: I just managed to make an undead hero, she didn't have chaos channel. I belive that all the other heroes where the undead have vanished arfter battle have been chaos channeled..

209)
Mystic Surge gave my Swordsmen focus magic, had no effect on the unit.. Didn't get a ranged attack, was not chaos channeled.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx6qlf3bwlhm0w...c.png?dl=0

210)
Summoned a Fire elemental
Mystic Surge gave it Heroism and Focus magic, both with no effect..

211)
Mystic surge gave Magic Immunity and warp creature to my hero that now had 0 resist. The magic immunity still resulted in immunity from the ghouls ranged poison 1.
The poison should be doing some damage?
Arfterwards I started to melee the ghouls, still didn't take any damage from the poison (high defence so no melee damage either).. (Flying hero).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/se1iufbu5fyjsn...y.mp4?dl=0

212)
Mystic surge can chaos channel a unit..
Mystic surge can chaos channel a chaos channeled unit.. Nice..
The chaos channel from Mystic surge are removed arfter combat in both cases though.. Sad..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyxu3z2knhyult...s.png?dl=0

213)
Mystic surge can give regeneration, if so the unit will have full life arfter battle instead of 1 hp.
This is also true for all units that already have regeneration, removing one of the big drawbacks from this spell. Making the hydra a good target for his powerfull spell..

214)
When mystic surge gives my unit flying, it still have the movement cost of a ground unit. (2 movement through forest even though it is now flying). Clicking on another unit or on [wait] if its the only unit works..

215)
Pretty sure you mentioned that Mystic surge should be able to give ademantium to a hero?
I have tested this quite a bit.. Have not seen Adamantium or other metals a single time.. But Orihalcon 15-20 times..?

216)
And another world generation crash..
Advanced 1 Minimal Islands 1 Fair Rich - Custom wizard Jafar 10 chaos Alchemy Myrran. Standard selection of spells. Empty name. Troll or dwarf, color Silver
I am the boss, plane of earth, disconnected, continental lord
Last line of the log: "World Generation complete!"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3xxgoz94hs5up...h.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bum02de7w2r62t...h.txt?dl=0

217)
On items it is Lion Heart, as a spell it is Lionheart?

218)
Info on item Lion Heart is 3 hp, but actually give 8 hp as the spell..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkidmt3sdpfs74...h.png?dl=0

219)
CASTERWIN.html - Arch Angel dosn't have wind walking anymore.. But it does have healer and scouting 5..

CASTERWIN.html - Djinn is supernatural, also scouting 3

Quote:I havn't seen this bug before.. I have used "disconnected" world generation thingy on this map, can the towers from the two worlds be disaligned so it thinks i'm standing on another spot on Arcanus where there is an enemy group?

That's what I'm thinking but it shouldn't be possible. In that case your units would actually fight.
...unless it was a simulation battle to see if they are a good target.

...that was it. Nothing to do with the tower, AI and Familiar simulation battles don't have a "combat end" process since the results are discarded. As a consequence they also didn't set the units back to their "not in combat" state. So whichever stack the last AI player looks at last as a possible attack target, will get affected.

Fixed for 1.1.2

205. Adding this to my buglist. I probably haven't made an icon for that effect yet so it's going to be low priority.
206. Fixed for 1.1.2
207. Intended. Flight does the same and is also uncommon.
208. Bug. "Animated" was granting temporal Undead instead of Permanent. Blood Lust was working correctly though.
209. Focus Magic only sets the unit to have 4 maximal ammo. It doesn't make the unit re-enter battle and refill their ammo to max, so if they had none to begin with, they still don't have any. Works like the DOS version.
We can consider making it refill the ammo to 4 but then it'll also happen if the unit did have ammo and already used it up. Or we can remove Focus Magic from the possible spells to add.
210. Heroism shouldn't work on Fantastic creatures though it did in the DOS version. I think this is ok to keep as is. Maybe we can disable Heroism as a result on summoned creatures but not sure if necessary. There are several buffs that can be rolled and do nothing, like Wind Walking, as far as I remember.
211. Should take damage, yes. Bug, magic immunity did apply to realm-less effects when calculating resistance. Fixed for 1.1.2.
212. This was already changed to be permanent in 1.1.2
213. Yes, that's intended.
214. I think this was already fixed for 1.1.2
215. Same
216. That means the crash happens in-game. It's not a world generator crash. Probably something similar to the last one where it crashed when the map was less than 9 tiles tall. Basically map too small and causes underflow somewhere in drawing it. I will have to keep trying with those parameters then, added to my list.

Are you sure ranged damage is being calculated correctly for strategic combat? This is what the log says for a fight between Merlin's halberdiers and a lair with 2 fire giants and 2 gargoyles:

Quote:Combat turn 2 player 1
Army deals 6.6053916698637 Magic Ranged damage
Combat turn 2 player 2
Combat turn 3 player 1
Combat turn 3 player 2
Combat turn 4 player 1
Combat turn 4 player 2
Combat turn 5 player 1
Army deals 18.3444555070503 Melee damage
Combat turn 5 player 2
Combat turn 6 player 1
Army deals 18.3444555070503 Melee damage
Combat turn 6 player 2
Army deals 21.7370852298137 Melee damage
Combat turn 7 player 1
Army deals 13.0897176493479 Melee damage
Combat turn 7 player 2
Army deals 19.1523773991639 Melee damage
Combat turn 8 player 1
Army deals 8.45980883128992 Melee damage
Combat turn 8 player 2
Army deals 17.4818956731411 Melee damage
Combat turn 9 player 1
Army deals 4.23372340875757 Melee damage
Combat turn 9 player 2
Army deals 16.645900708195 Melee damage
Merlin spent 0 mana!
Defenderlossrate Neutral=1
Attackerlossrate Merlin=0.473069664895643
Defeated : Neutral's Fire Giant died in battle!
Defeated : Neutral's Fire Giant died in battle!
Defeated : Neutral's Gargoyles died in battle!
Defeated : Neutral's Gargoyles died in battle!
Winner : Merlin's Halberdiers died in battle!
Winner : Merlin's Halberdiers died in battle!
This implies that ranged damage was only applied on the second turn of the defender. But that can't be right.

Fire Giants only have 3 ammo.
So it should only work on turn 1, 2 and 3.

Turn 1 doesn't seem to appear in your post.

But you are right, there is a bug.
The Ammo used it the total army average ammo.
For two giants and two gargoyles, that's (3+3+0+0)/4 = 1.5.

The obvious problem here is that units without ranged attacks shouldn't be in the average. Correct version would be (3+3)/2 = 3.
I'll fix this in 1.1.2

On the subject of strategic combat, can you explain this:

Quote:Stack initiates combat!
Entered combat at X=22, Y=33P =1
Combat turn 1 player 1
Combat turn 1 player 2
Casting uses 40 MP
Buff = 27
Buff Ranged = 14
Damage = 43
Curse = 0
Summon = 14
Spellcasting Buff grants 2.52788074355282 HP
Spellcasting Ranged Buff grants 0.84 % ranged attack strength
Spellcasting Damage deals 3.44 damage
Spellcasting Curse deals 0 damage
Spellcasting Summoning grants 2.1 HP and 100.8 attack rating
Combat turn 2 player 1
Army deals 27.8112849271664 Melee damage
Combat turn 2 player 2
Casting uses 20 MP
Buff = 23
Buff Ranged = 14
Damage = 46
Curse = 0
Summon = 14
Spellcasting Buff grants 0.916724457461119 HP
Spellcasting Ranged Buff grants 0.42 % ranged attack strength
Spellcasting Damage deals 1.84 damage
Spellcasting Summoning grants 1.05 HP and 50.4 attack rating
Combat turn 3 player 1
Army deals 27.2201023455354 Melee damage
Combat turn 3 player 2
Casting uses 18 MP
Buff = 20
Buff Ranged = 15
Damage = 49
Curse = 0
Summon = 15
Spellcasting Buff grants 0.581068291330493 HP
Spellcasting Ranged Buff grants 0.405 % ranged attack strength
Spellcasting Damage deals 1.764 damage
Spellcasting Summoning grants 1.0125 HP and 48.6 attack rating
Army deals 8.42855380811767 Melee damage
Army deals 13.0287533603556 Antifly Melee damage
Combat turn 4 player 1
Army deals 19.7592152147167 Melee damage
Combat turn 4 player 2
Army deals 6.90343084598871 Melee damage
Army deals 10.6712373059815 Antifly Melee damage
Combat turn 5 player 1
Army deals 14.1125642965693 Melee damage
Combat turn 5 player 2
Army deals 5.8141469028092 Melee damage
Army deals 8.98743577155777 Antifly Melee damage
Combat turn 6 player 1
Army deals 9.35689154784205 Melee damage
Combat turn 6 player 2
Army deals 5.09193147073395 Melee damage
Army deals 7.87104416372483 Antifly Melee damage
Combat turn 7 player 1
Army deals 5.19195382979851 Melee damage
Combat turn 7 player 2
Army deals 4.69118842916611 Melee damage
Army deals 7.25158056791347 Antifly Melee damage
Combat turn 8 player 1
Army deals 1.35480328223485 Melee damage
Combat turn 8 player 2
Army deals 4.58661739370489 Melee damage
Army deals 7.08993596544927 Antifly Melee damage
Sss'ra spent 117 mana!
Defenderlossrate Neutral=1
Attackerlossrate Sss'ra=0.619183481501883
Defeated : Neutral's Doom Bat died in battle!
Winner : Sss'ra's Hell Hounds died in battle!
Winner : Sss'ra's Swordsmen died in battle!
How did Sss'ra defeat 3 doom bats in a lair exactly? Isn't that a force where you are expected to take atleast mild casualties?

He "lost" 61% of his army. That's far more than "mild causalties"

Strategic combat doesn't focus the damage to kill a unit, but distributes it roughly evenly.

Obviously, both sides try to focus as much damage on a single enemy unit to kill it as possible while trying to keep their own wounded units away from harm and alive, but it's impossible to guess or calculate which side is capable or incapable of doing so, and that means I had to make a choice between these two options.

In this particular example, in a real battle, if I were to use 9 stag beetles vs the bats, I could use three beetles each to hit a bat twice so all my beetles take 16 damage total and survive while the bats die. Only whichever one beetle got hit by the three bats on turn one, would die but Raise Dead can even cancel that loss.

It clearly favors AI performance and overall gameplay if the AI loses as few units as possible when attacking a battle they win, as they can use those units in further battles to push their advantage. This helps strong AI grow by conquering weaker AIs instead of getting stuck in a stalemate where both AIs basically "lose" in the war and gain nothing.

So basically, most of his surviving units are down to their last 30-40% of their hit points after the battle but they didn't die. If the army can stay out of trouble for a while, it can recover but if someone attacks them now, it'll be easy to destroy them.

Okay but that sounds like it could get out of hand with regenerating units. How do you handle strategic combat with them?

Regenerating units on the winner's side wouldn't die regardless of how the damage is distributed. I don't see the relevance.

V 1.01.01:

A stack of Sprites and a walking hero can cross a river if they are selected separately. As a stack, they get stuck on the river. Reselecting all units + “Wait” still activates the hero, but the flying Sprites have lost 1 move.  The same thing happens with the setting “Move together” enabled and disabled.

Attached Files
.zip   20210723_sticky_rivers.zip (Size: 94.72 KB / Downloads: 0)

Not a bug. That's how movement has always worked and always will work. You have a walking stack if you move a walking and a flying unit together. Walking stacks pay 2 for moving on rivers.