As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Most likely the ammo bug that was already fixed.
In mixed armies there was a a chance for the entire army to count as having 0 ammo.

Attached is a save of a reproducible crash bug, in next turn. Version: 1.0.2.

Attached Files
.zip   5.zip (Size: 253.84 KB / Downloads: 2)

When choosing a custom wizard (10N/Charismatic/Astrologer), selecting starting spells is a bit weird. If I deselect sprites I can no longer add a fifth staring spell ("No more picks in this area!"), but if I remove pick 4 as well and add sprites as the 4th, then I can add another spell as the fifth. Deselecting and messing about there can also lead me to get only three picks before the message shows up. But if I have only 3 (or 4) staring spells, then missing spell slots seem to be converted to early rares? Unless it's just a graphics thing. Currently I have Abundance and Call of the Wild checked (and unable to be deselected) while I can choose the two remaining picks as usual. (When I ended up at 4 starting spells, Abundance was the un-deselectable early rare.)

This is 1.01.02 (2021-07-25) on GOG.

There was a bug where previous selections were properly not cleared when exiting an ongoing game and starting over. Unless the problem persists after closing and restarting the game, it was likely that bug.

(August 25th, 2021, 15:41)Cruel100 Wrote: Attached is a save of a reproducible crash bug, in next turn. Version: 1.0.2.

Didn't get a crash when testing in the latest public version. (1.1.2)

(August 25th, 2021, 16:03)Seravy Wrote: There was a bug where previous selections were properly not cleared when exiting an ongoing game and starting over. Unless the problem persists after closing and restarting the game, it was likely that bug.

This was my first time starting up CoM2 and I never went past the selection, so there shouldn't be an ongoing game interfering? Anyway, restarting as you said seems to fix it, thanks!

260)
Auto combat and wall of darkness.

Attacking against AI's fortress, he have wall of darkness (WOD). I have 8 shadow demons that can see through WOD. He have 5 great drakes.
Combat turn 1 player 2 (Me)
Buff = 18
Damage = 54
Spellcasting Buff grants 100,565262711864 HP
Spellcasting Buff grants 2,00216295762712 HP
Spellcasting Damage deals 10,8 damage
What kinda spell does I as a pure death wizard have that give a 100 hp buff?
And why wouldn't I cast something like that? Spell:Darkness? I only have 8 unbuffed shadow demons on my side..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsck9cpwmtlk2q...D.txt?dl=0

AI attacks my fortress city, I have WOD.
Combat turn 1 player 2 (AI)
Army deals 6,9983612416773 Magic Ranged damage
Army deals 2,30763355029916 Other Ranged damage
Army deals 13,1990026776838 Sight Magic Ranged damage
The Sight Magic Ranged damage is from shadow demons and demon lord, the other two should not be possible against my WOD?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu92u388goere3...1.txt?dl=0

AI attacks my fortress city, I have WOD. I have 6 shadow demons and 1 demon lord.
Combat turn 1 player 2 (AI)
Army deals 11,5824051878566 Magic Ranged damage
Army deals 0,922147928436213 Other Ranged damage
Army deals 7,70475221914105 Sight Magic Ranged damage
AI is attacking with 2 shadow demons, 1 demon lord, 2 great drakes, 2 hero and 2 efreet. AI dosn't know true sight. Should't be able to make "magic and other" ranged attacks?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edjr637xqrisrs...2.txt?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kud6qhul0xixif...1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4coi7qjj34zlzb...1.sav?dl=0

As I see two "buff" lines there, I assume the first one is the special category applied on the first turn to represent the effect of your global enchantments.
Darkness, Gate of Hades, Terror, Black Prayer, Mislead, Mana Leak.
While many of these would debuff the enemy in normal combat, there is no such thing in automatic - instead your army gets extra HP to simulate the enemy hitting for less damage. Death has by far the most combat global enchantments in the game so it actually gets a high rating in this category, and these are actually additive unlike many other spells. Knowing each of these does increase the effect instead of only the best spell determining it.

This effect is mandatory and independent of your power distribution between Buff or Damage spells.

Wall of Darkness is treated as half the protected army being invisible instead of all of them. You can still shoot at units that walk outside, or after you walked inside so that makes more sense.
In theory after the "visible" half of the army is down to 0 hit points, more damage can't occur from ranged attacks that have no "sees invisible" property.

Cruel100> Good grief man, update your game! Or are you sure you are not actually using 1.1.2 instead tongue?

260) (again)
I have no overland global enchantments active. But you are talking about "global" as in the fight I guess. So just knowing those spells, even without casting them gives me a massive buff? Okay.

Ahh.. I was wondering why the first turn often had two buff lines.

50% protection from WOD, that seems a bit odd, guess it is to compensate for that the auto combat dosn't see any difference between melee defence and all ranged defence.

261)
Tried testing Cruel100's game, crashed 6 out of 6 times. Here is log from 4:
Stack of 3 units moves from 1,17,24 to 18,24
Stack arrives to 18,24 plane :1
Stack initiates combat!
Entered combat at X=18, Y=24P =1 (Log 1 - Crash)

Entered combat at X=18, Y=24P =1 (Log 2 - Crash)

Entered combat at X=18, Y=24P =1 (Log 3 - Crash)

Entered combat at X=18, Y=24P =1 (Log 4 - Crash)

Sharee's army of 2 swordsmen and 1 sprites attacks Raven's empty Floating island. No interesting global enchantments.
Sprites is undead, one of the swordsmen have wraithform and the other have resist magic, water walking and undead.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swdnp9jdpvnpdp...h.mp4?dl=0

Weird enough, if I give the AI all spells, the game never crashes and the fight goes like this:
Entered combat at X=18, Y=24P =1
Player 1 will not cast spells to save mana due to expecting to lose.
Player 1 will not cast spells to save mana. MP =15000
Player 2 will not cast spells because it is not an important battle.
Player 2 will not cast spells to save mana. MP =14593
Raven spent 0 mana!
Sharee spent 0 mana!
Defenderlossrate Raven=1
Attackerlossrate Sharee=0
Diplomacy reaction Sharee affects Raven base strength = -4 type = 2
Left combat at X=18, Y=24P =1

262)
Sharee is a mixed death and chaos wizard. But have a undead swordsmen with water walking, she must have raised one of the other AI's swordsmen.
Is it intended that create undead/life steal raised units keep their buffs on them?

So it is THAT bug.

I've had someone send me a save file where the AI attacking a floating island crashes the game.
It didn't crash on my side though, even when using the official GoG/Steam public version.
So whatever causes it, depends on hardware or operating system which is odd because it's just a bunch of calculations.
I've never heard of some computers not crashing when dividing by zero smile

At the moment this bug is still unsolved and likely will remain so until I can get it to crash on my side or get more information.

So spells are related, even though they aren't even using any. Now that's unusual. Can you maybe narrow it down to which spell?
Evaluating casting ability definitely is after entering combat but before the first combat turn, so it matches the timing for the crash.

The Floating Island is also shared between the two cases so it's not just a coincidence, the defender having a zero power army is required to crash.

I don't see anything in the spell evaluation function that could cause a division by zero, underflow, or overflow style crash.
Calculating casting range penalty uses an sqrt() call but that isn't related to your spell list so it can't be fixed by adding more spells.

...wait, you used the shift+P to add spells. So you also gave them casting skill and MP. How much skill and MP did that wizard have while it was crashing?
Any chance something like "j:=(mana*8) div (combatskill);" could have caused a division overflow? (is that even a thing on modern computers? It was when hex-editing 16 bit 8086 code but..."

262. Yes, that's intended.