As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

(August 25th, 2021, 17:52)Mqz Wrote: Cruel100> Good grief man, update your game! Or are you sure you are not actually using 1.1.2 instead tongue?

It's just a confusion between what was written in steam  update "1.0.2". But in the program is 1.1.2. Good analysis in the logs.

261) (again)
Sharee has 1082 gold 492 mana. Raven has 749 gold 502 mana
Sharee 49 overland casting skill, have 460 mana left when she enters the fight.

I tried only giving sharee 48000 mana mana, no spells. Crash.
I tried giving sharee and Raven 48000 mana mana, no spells. Crash.
I tried giving botth 48000 mana and 279 casting skill, no spells. Crash.
I tried giving both 15000 mana and 400 casting skill, no spells. No crash.. Wait.. What..
Tried 5 times in a row, no crash.

Unchanged low mana for both and 400 casting skill for both. Crash.
48000 mana and 400 casting skill for both. No crash.
15000 mana for Sharee, unchanged mana for Raven and 400 casting skill for both. No crash.
  2000 mana for Sharee, unchanged mana for Raven and 400 casting skill for both. Crash.
  5000 mana for Sharee, unchanged mana for Raven and 400 casting skill for both. Crash.
10000 mana for Sharee, unchanged mana for Raven and 400 casting skill for both. Crash.
15000 mana for Sharee, unchanged mana for Raven and 400 casting skill for both. No crash (just had to try this one again).
12500 mana for Sharee, unchanged mana for Raven and 400 casting skill for both. No Crash.
15000 mana for Sharee and 400 casting skill. Raven 0 mana and 0 casting skill. No crash.
15000 mana for Sharee and 400 casting skill. Raven unchanged mana and casting skill. No crash.
15000 mana for Sharee and 279 casting skill. Raven unchanged. Crash.

So Sharee needs between 10000-12500 mana and 279-400 casting skill to fight that menacing floating island. This is a weird one..

Edit:
2.5 million mana for Sharee and 279 casting skill. Raven unchanged. No crash. Wait.. What..
2.5 million mana for Sharee and unchanged casting skill. Crash.

So how does "(mana*8)/skill" look like for the suspicious values?
80000 to 100000 divided by below 200 or over 400 is...nothing interesting or unusual.
I can't imagine any reason why that would be crashing.
That only leaves a different theory though - that when it is crashing the log is incomplete and there would be more lines after the last one.
At the very least, the "turn 1" line has to be missing if the crash doesn't happen while it is being initialized.
Basically, in this case that means when the AI decides to cast spells, we get the crash otherwise we don't.

Is Sharee owning the island or is the enemy army the island?

Either way I have absolutely no idea why the crash is hardware/OS dependent.

Ok, here is a wild idea.
Try changing your windows system locale and number format. (for example to English/United States. Or maybe try Japanese, I had to use that a lot for random games that refused to run on anything else)
These have absolutely nothing to do with anything but I regularly see software crashing from those two if they expect one format and get another.

Trying to write a floating point number into a text file (the log) is literally the only thing here that could care about the OS even if not on my side but possibly on the compiler generates code that does.

Raven has the floating island. Sharee is attacking it.
2.5 million mana and she can manage with lower casting skill.. Weird.

Have changed my system local to japanense. No change, it still crash.
Have changed my system number format to total chaos. COM2 loading screen where it is counting up to 100% is just random symbols now. No change, it still crash.

Tried giving Sharee 0 mana and 0 casting skill. (She gets a little mana from turn start). Crash.

Cruel100>
Oh damn, I was very tired last night, I totally forgot. Here is a fixed version of your game if you want to continue playing. Sorry about that. smile
I changed some values so it didn't crash, pressed next turn, and changed all the values back.
So the thing that crashed have been removed from your game and everything else is unchanged now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oryztzef4bz60...d.sav?dl=0

(August 26th, 2021, 06:44)Mqz Wrote: Cruel100>
Oh damn, I was very tired last night, I totally forgot. Here is a fixed version of your game if you want to continue playing. Sorry about that. smile
I changed some values so it didn't crash, pressed next turn, and changed all the values back.
So the thing that crashed have been removed from your game and everything else is unchanged now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oryztzef4bz60...d.sav?dl=0

Thanks. =)

We got another bug report that seems to be the same issue.
(purple and white are at war and a floating island is in range of being attacked this turn)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sf7aPLN...sp=sharing

Is this the place to report bugs? Can I post specific suggestions here too?

Here is my first batch v1.01.02, 2021-07-25. I played on Steam.

No quit button from the game.

Lizardmen Swordsmen fully healed in 1 turn from <50% HP on overland map. Maybe because they just beat a Stonehenge?

Unclear: Stealth: this does not affect the AI
Unclear: Necromancy: 140 per hero level

WhiteMage>
This is an excellent place to report bugs, yes.

From the manual "CASTERWIN.html" in the game directory:
"How do I quit? The Quit button is missing. Close the game window or press Alt+F4. If you want to return to the main menu, you can also use the “Lose” button and surrender which will give you a final score for your game and return you to the main menu where you can start a new game."

Yeah.. Was also one of the first "missing features" I was asking about, still don't quite understand that one either. smile

Lizardmen that heal to full? That is clearly aliens in disguise.. They are disguised as uh.. lizardmen.. Eh.. No wait..
No actually it is prolly the regeneration bug that has been annoying version 1.1.2 and I belive it is fixed in the next update.

From the manual about Stealth:
Equipped hero gains Stealth, making them impossible to see, hear, or otherwise detect outside combat.
-The hero does not trigger Wizard's Pact violations.
-The hero can accurately scout the contents of Lairs, Nodes, or other encounter zones, including the type and exact quantity of all defenders.
-The hero is not shown on the overland map, as if it was invisible. (Note : this does not affect the AI)

From the manual about Necromancy:
At end of battle, units who died on your side and weren't undead yet, return as undead units. Limited to a budget per combat, that scales with hero level.

That "budget" is 140 "points" for each level of the hero, you can also see the "Monster budget costs" in the manual.