As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

261b)
Second savegame of THAT bug.
Stack initiates combat! (Tlaloc Galley)
Entered combat at X=30, Y=42P =1 (Horus Floating Island. Crash.)

15000 mana + 400 skill + all spells all player. Crash. Wait what..
Tlaloc 65500 mana + 400 skill Tlaloc. Crash.
Tlaloc 65500 mana + 418 skill Tlaloc. Crash.

One case where it didn't crash, Tlaloc's Galley went the other way and didn't attack a Floating Island.

Tried removing the Floating Island at X=30, Y=42P =1
Stack initiates combat! (Tlaloc Galley)
Entered combat at X=31, Y=40P =1 (Tlaloc attacks Horus other Floating Island. Crash.)

The thing that fixed the other game dosn't fix this one, this is weird..

I tried autocombat vs the AI:
Close to starting levels of mana and casting skill:
I tried having the AI attack my floating Island with autocombat. No crash.
I tried attacking the AI's floating Island with autocombat, with spells. No crash.
I tried attacking the AI's floating Island with autocombat, with no spells. No crash.
Attacking or having floating Islands attacked with or without autocombat enabled dosn't seem to crash.
Seems to only be a problem with AI attacking an AI floating Islands and not the actual autocombat itself.

Back to the crashing savegame.
Tried actually giving all Horus' existing Floating Islands an attack strength of 60 in the save. Tlaloc Galley attacked.. And. Crash.

Floating Islands are cursed.. Only solution..

263)
Had a game creation crash.
Advanced 1 minimal Islands 1 Fair Rich
Custom Jafar 10 Sorcery Alchemy Archmage (Not Myrran).
Automatic Combat, Race to the unknown, Planet Earth, Disconnected, Continental Lord

Floating islands are a bit of a special unit as they don't participate in the battle themselves. So when they fight, their side has an army of zero units.
But I don't see how that could be related to the MP and casting skill.

Well, maybe we could just...get around the bug.

"If either army size = 0 units, skip combat, jump to results"

Then, in theory, it doesn't matter what caused the bug because we're jumping over it.

...wait, wouldn't the generating of results divide by zero when there are zero hp armies? Only if the Floating Island wins the battle though which should be impossible. Surviving side loses units as a percentage of their health. Like this : result.attackerlossrate=damage/originalhp

Suspicious but that doesn't explain why my computer is fine with that division by zero, nor how the island is not on the loser's side for the result.

Either way we can try putting "if hp=0 then hp=1" into the next update and see if that helps. Fortunately, armies count as having lost the battle below 2 remaining hp so this shouldn't interfere with the results.

I'm going to upload 1.2 for testing tomorrow. We need to have some private testing before sending this to Slitherine because it contains way too many large scale changes in the code.

My friend reports that in the CoMfW: Warlord mod, gnolls are able to take many lairs in strategic combat that they can't in tactical, citing a prominent example of an 8 air elementals with 1 djinn lair falling seemingly easy to them. Sounds like strategic combat still has some serious bugs, can you take a look?

Logs or something?
Assuming said Gnolls can somehow overcome the flight like with chaos channels or idk, the air elementals are weak units.

(August 27th, 2021, 17:45)Mqz Wrote: "From the manual "CASTERWIN.html" in the game directory:
"How do I quit? The Quit button is missing. Close the game window or press Alt+F4. If you want to return to the main menu, you can also use the “Lose” button and surrender which will give you a final score for your game and return you to the main menu where you can start a new game.""
OK, but the game features should be as intuitive as possible. Reading the manual should be an option and not a requirement to understand the game. I have never seen a game without Quit button. And the hotkey Esc or Q would be a better choice to quit, IMO. Those 2 came to mind first. It is not clear if I will be allowed to load back the game after I click "Lose".

(August 27th, 2021, 17:45)Mqz Wrote: "From the manual about Stealth:
Equipped hero gains Stealth, making them impossible to see, hear, or otherwise detect outside combat.
-The hero does not trigger Wizard's Pact violations.
-The hero can accurately scout the contents of Lairs, Nodes, or other encounter zones, including the type and exact quantity of all defenders.
-The hero is not shown on the overland map, as if it was invisible. (Note : this does not affect the AI)"
I remember reading all this text in the game, so this is not manual related. Still no clue how to interpret the text "this does not affect the AI". And in general the AI should play by the same rules as human players, IMO.

(August 27th, 2021, 17:45)Mqz Wrote: "At end of battle, units who died on your side and weren't undead yet, return as undead units. Limited to a budget per combat, that scales with hero level. That "budget" is 140 "points" for each level of the hero, you can also see the "Monster budget costs" in the manual."
I read this in the game too, so not manual related. I recommend adding the budget cost on the units themselves, so the players can read it. Maybe 1 more button on their list of features. I see "No healing" was added. Maybe 1 more button with "Budget X" can be added on each unit.

(August 28th, 2021, 03:41)Seravy Wrote: Logs or something?
Assuming said Gnolls can somehow overcome the flight like with chaos channels or idk, the air elementals are weak units.

I have no save or log (I did not backup) but it seem they win such powerful lair by brute force (9 jackal riders) and wizard in question use either life or sorcery realm (not sure if they fly or not, I'm not sure but they seem to look like it brute its way through number game in although they not suppose to able to do that in tactical combat.)

I have another bug as I encounter in play my own Warlord mod. I play game of 13 wizard with world equalizers and found that 1 wizard is missing, I gem not have wizard appear, and I could not find him even when whole map is explored (only see him mentioned once in Start turn report). His gem is also not broken (sign of defeat) too. I have my win save which his gem still there and he not show up in congratulation message.

Save is belong to Warlord mod which has more units than in CoM2 so there maybe problem if you load it with unmodded CoM2.

Attached Files
.zip   wizardmissingsave.zip (Size: 432.8 KB / Downloads: 0)

Quote:OK, but the game features should be as intuitive as possible.

It's a windows application. People usually quit those by clicking the X on the corner of the window to close it.
It's also NOT an ingame hotkey. "ALt+F4" is the windows default for closing your active window/application. It's handled by the operating system, not the game.

AI players can see Stealth units on the map, the same way they do see invisible units as well as overland invisibility doesn't exist as a game feature vs the AI. On the other hand AI players don't scout and aren't restricted by Wizard Pacts. So they don't gain a benefit from the first two abilities either.
As a human player you gain benefit from the first two effects (scouting, pact) and the AI gains benefit from the third one (you can't see their Stealth unit).

In general the AI does play by the same rules where design allows them to. Visibility on the overland map and diplomacy are the two major exceptions.

Necromancy budget cost should already be displayed on the unit, like "Necromancy 280".

(August 28th, 2021, 08:54)Suppanut Wrote:
(August 28th, 2021, 03:41)Seravy Wrote: Logs or something?

I have no save or log (I did not backup) but it seem they win such powerful lair by brute force (9 jackal riders) and wizard in question use either life or sorcery realm (not sure if they fly or not, I'm not sure but they seem to look like it brute its way through number game in although they not suppose to able to do that in tactical combat.)

I have another bug as I encounter in play my own Warlord mod. I play game of 13 wizard with world equalizers and found that 1 wizard is missing, I gem not have wizard appear, and I could not find him even when whole map is explored (only see him mentioned once in Start turn report). His gem is also not broken (sign of defeat) too. I have my win save which his gem still there and he not show up in congratulation message.

Save is belong to Warlord mod which has more units than in CoM2 so there maybe problem if you load it with unmodded CoM2.

Not really a bug, just a difference in how the gem is displayed.
In the original, wizards defeated before you have met them show the broken gem.
In CoMWin, wizards you haven't met aren't shown (brown gem) even if they were eliminated by other wizards meanwhile.

I can change that to show a broken gem if necessary.

Version 1.2 is now available for testing. If you want to test it, please send my a private message and I will respond with the download link. Please only apply to be a tester if you can spend a relevant amount of time testing this version within the next 1-2 weeks.

While testing, please pay extra attention to the city economy and other newly added scripts and in general, anything that is listed in the changelog.

Changelog :
Code:
Version 1.2.0
WARNING : Save files from previous versions are not compatible, to support the new modding features/additional data.
Avoid downloading the update while you have an ongoing game you are intend to finish and/or make a backup of the previous game version first.

Bug fixes, gameplay, general
-Fixed bug : The game crashes when the player attempts to move a unit outside the map area.
-Fixed bug : Rare and Very Rare spells can be found in treasure when it shouldn't be possible and cannot be found when it should be possible.
-Fixed bug : Armageddon and Doomsday cast by the human player doesn't increase unrest in AI cities.
-Fixed bug : Nightshade has twice the intended effect on Cathedrals
-Fixed bug : When Darkest Hour is cast by the human player, it doesn't reduce enemy research and power.
-When multiple opponents have cast Darkest Hour, the effect will be merged to one displayed line in the resource detail view.
-Fixed bug : Doomsday cast by the human player doesn't cause AI cities to shrink when exceeding maximal population.
-Multiple instances of Doomsday enchantments will now show the total population growth reduction as a single line in the detailed view.
-Racial resistance modifiers now apply to settler units.
-Fixed bug : the Leave Me Alone setting also forces the AI to build at 6 distance from their own or other AI cities in addition to the human player's.
-Fixed bug : Starting a new game with "I am the Boss" and very high player count can freeze in an endless loop.
-Adjusted the AI's "need casting skill" strategy flag to depend on difficulty level.
-Adjusted how the AI's "need troops" strategy flag depends on the number of owned cities per land size setting.
-Fixed bug : Resistance removed by Eternal Night does not display a grey icon.
-Fixed bug : Animate Dead doesn't grant +1 thrown or breath attack strength.
-Fixed bug : When the AI casts Spell Ward, a different city enchantment is applied to the city instead.
-Fixed bug : Scoring screen shows item looted from the final battle.
-The AI will not cast Stasis during Time Stop anymore.
-Fixed bug : The human player could target heroes with Animate Dead even though they were invalid targets.
-Smallest map size is now forced to be 15x15 tiles. Any settings that would result in smaller maps will raise the size to this number.
This is required because on smaller maps, the game sometimes freezes due to not finding valid locations for objects, such as nodes.
-Fixed more spell descriptions in the documentation.
-Fixed bug : Mystic Surge fails to add Adamantium and Mithril to units.
-Fixed bug : Animated status fails to set resulting undead effects until the unit's data is recalculated twice.
-Fixed bug : End of turn healing caused by Regeneration is applied on the wrong unit.
-Fixed bug : Eternal Night reduces the resistance of the owner's units even though it should only apply to enemies.
-Fixed bug : Floating Island can appear in combat on land if it gains Flying.
-Fixed bug : Angels had Exorcise +1 instead of -1.
-Fixed bug : Focus Magic didn't convert thrown attacks to ranged.
-Fixed bug : AI and "Random" wizard starting spell selection doesn't clear selection slots 11 and above or any very rare spell slots.
This could lead to incorrect spells when starting a new game after winning/losing another one.
-The AI will prioritize targeting enemies during war higher when targeting a Raise Volcano spell.
-The AI will prioritize players in range for a war declaration (adjacent empires) higher when targeting a Raise Volcano spell but lower than targets they are alwasy at war with.
-The AI is now allowed to send a magic spirit to any nodes regardless of distance if they already have troops guarding it.
-Fixed bug : Raise Dead and Animate Dead couldn't be used in sea combat.
-The AI will reduce tax rates during the first 40 turns of the game if necessary to get rid of unrest and aims to have no rebels at all to maximize production output.
-Fixed bug : In Automatic Combat, army ammo is sometimes considered zero when ranged units and nonranged units fight together.
-Fixed 1.1.1 bug : Normal Caster units don't have the Fireball Spell in their spellbook.
-Reduced the AI's chance to build Amplifying Tower in the early game.
-Fixed bug : Doom Gaze is applied once per figure instead of once per unit attacking.
-Fixed bug : Carrack consumes 1 food enough though boats should not have upkeep costs.
-Fixed bug : Spell Lock didn't protect units from Great Unsummoning
-Fixed bug : Death Immunity didn't protect units from Final Wave
-Fixed bug : Mithril/Adamantium is now visible on units in the list view.
-Default Tower Budget multiplier for I Am the Boss score modifier is now 70% instead of 50%.
-Fixed 1.1.2 bug : AI starting race selection only sets the city race but fails to set the AI's home race variable. This can lead to poor AI decisions and incorrect unrest values during the game.
-Ice Bolt will no longer freeze Non-Corporeal or Immolating units.
-The AI will not add additional priority to the Ice Bolt spell based on the freezing effect, if the target cannot be frozen.
-Casting Wraith Form on a unit will now instantly remove the effects of the Web spell from the unit. However, movement points will not be refilled until the start of the next turn.
-Cities on the minimap will now glow for better visibility.
-Adjusted Shore/River/Lake/Swamp/Hill pixel color on the minimap.
-Adjusted Myrran Forest pixel color on the minimap.
-Fixed bug : Monster Invasion event sometimes fails to generate monsters.
-Rivers now have a greatly reduced chance to turn in the same direction twice in a row.
-Changed the score modifier for Plane of Earth to 80% from 50%.
-Added new scoring option : "Standardized".
This causes all opponents to use default wizards.
Normal difficulty level no has this effect by default, but Easy does force using this option.
-Added new scoring option : "Plane of Water"
This option increases the Sea to Land ratio, the opposite of the effect of "Plane of Earth".
-Fixed bug : "Mixed" continent size option works incorrectly and generates only continents of one random size on the Myrran plane.
-Slightly increased the default size of continents on Average and Large continent size settings.
-Fixed bug : Stream of Life effect is applied before Chaos Rift damage instead of after
-Pressing Ctrl+1 to 9 saves the current location on the map. You can reset your view to the saved location by pressing 1-9 afterwards.
Starting a new game or loading a save file clears saved locations.
-The AI will not cast the Fire Elemental and Construct Catapult spells if the enemy has Entangle in effect
-Fixed a few bugs that could cause the AI to cast direct damage spells on undesirable targets.
-Scoring : Size multiplier is now based on the number of land tiles in the game, instead of the plane's width.
-"No Overlap" score modifier is now worth 70% instead of 100%. Fewer cities/land tile makes the size modifier overestimate the difficulty compared to the default.
-Clarified ingame help and documentation : Ruler of Heaven protects all of the caster's enchantments from dispel, not only global enchantments.
-Darkest Hour now has an additional effect : The caster's city enchantments are 100% harder to dispel.
-When the player starts on Arcanus, the maximal amount of Myrran wizards rolled is now only 1 higher than the minimal requierd amount instead of allowing all but one wizards to roll the Myrran retort and start there with extremely bad luck.
-Added new scoring option : "Inverted Worlds"
This swaps the number of Arcanus and Myrran wizards with each other.
-Adjusted the amount of ships AI players intend to have in play.
-Fixed bug : The scoring screen sometimes displays the wrong score multiplier value (applied value was correct).

Modding
-Animation Frame count and Vizier priority is now moved to Buildings.INI
-The game will no longer freeze when there are too many buildings to display in a city (as a consequence to modding building data).
However, it's still recommended to use the "replaced by" feature to reduce the number of
possible simultaneous buildings to an amount where this doesn't happen. Excess buildings that
cannot be drawn will be impossible to sell for the player, as they cannot click on the building.
-It is now possible to change the amount of building types in Modding.INI, to add new buildings.
-Added "Iswall" parameter. This determines whether a building should be displayed in the "city wall" area instead of this being hardcoded.
-Added "OnShore" paremter. This determines whether a building should be displayed in the "ship yard" area instead of this being hardcoded.
-Added EcoSkill.CAS script to calculate the base, combat and overland skill of players.
This can be used to add new buildings, spells, or other effects that change casting skill.
Changing the base skill formula is not recommended.
-Added many new script commands and functions, see Scripts.txt for details.
-Tax table is now external in Tax.INI and it is now possible to change the number of different tax levels.
-Added EcoUnrest.CAS script to calculate the unrest of cities.
-Optimized the script engine to run about 50% faster.
Please remember that running scripts is still significantly more computationally expensive than running
an equivalent hardcoded function.
Avoid making scripts too complex or you may experience FPS drops or slow turn times especially
on scripts that are frequently used.
-Fixed bug : %F and %I have each other's effect in scripts
-Fixed bug : Space characters in scripts get removed from within string constants as if they were code.
-Fixed bug : Characters in scripts get turned to uppercase in string constants as if they were code.
-City economy data (unrest, gold, research, power, etc) calculated will be stored and will
only be recalculated when something happens in the game that might cause a change in the result.
This should reduce the number of calls done to these scripts and improve performance overall.
-Added EcoGold.CAS script to calculate the gold of cities.
-Added EcoProd.CAS script to calculate the production of cities.
-Added EcoPower.CAS script to calculate the power generated by cities.
-The scripts now support using <> for "not equal".
-Fixed bug : For/Next loops in scripts fail to run for the last value in the loop.
-Added EcoResearch.CAS script to calculate the power generated by cities.
-Added EcoFood.CAS script to calculate the power generated by cities.
-Added EcoMaxPop.CAS script to calculate the maximal population of cities.
-Removed Waterwalking,Windwalking,Forestwalk,Flying, etc script commands,
and added a generic GETSTAT script command instead to get any unit stat or ability.
-Added Settler.CAS script to set the base stats and abilities or settlers from various races.
-The data tables used by the AI to decide which race they prefer to build settlers from are now external in AIRacepref.INI
-Spells.INI now contains AIWaterMove flag to mark which spells allow the AI to not prioritize early game ship yards.
-Added AIProd.CAS script for the AI's city production decision
-Added AIBuilding.CAS script for the AI's building priority decision
-Script error : "Variable does not exist" will now show the missing variable's name.
-Fixed bug : "Call" keyword in scripts does not work.
-Added Earth Lore area size to MODDING.INI
-Added AI maximal spirit distance and spirit exception parameters to MODDING.INI
-Fixed bug : Offensive stats and abilities had no effect on Shield, Plate and Chain Mail type items.
-Added debug mode logging of AI building priority, mandatory building decision, and unit/building decision.
-Added debug mode logging of Automatic Combat army stats
-Shift-H in debug mode now also shows AI city production and income data. This can be useful for debugging related scripts.
-Added AIPreHousing script to decide which buildings the AI buys before starting to build Housing in a new city.
-AI resources bonus values and other difficulty parameters are now external in DIFFICULTY.INI.
-The unit ID of the starting units (swordsmen) is now included in RACES.INI
-Added the maximal number of races to MODDING.INI. This allows adding new races to the game.
-RACES.INI now contains the name of each race and their home plane.
-RACES.INI now contains data fields to mark races as playable, or valid as neutrals.
(Setting a system race such as Chaos Realm as a playable race will cause the game to crash.)
-Increased the maximal amount of disallowed buildings supported on races to 100.
-Added food upkeep field to Units.INI
-Conversion rate of excess food to gold can be set in MODDING.INI
-To Defend cap and cap effect can now be changed in MODDING.INI
-The AI spell rerolling feature can now be disabled or the difficulty level required to activate it can be changed in Modding.INI
-The spell table used for the AI rerolling feature is now external in AIReroll.INI
-Combat movement costs of each tile type and relevant special movement ability is now in Modding.INI
-Overland movement costs of each tile type and relevant special movement ability is now in Modding.INI
-Road movement costs are in MODDING.INI
-Added a parameter in MODDING.INI to adjust the chance of a river turning in the same direction twice in a row.
-Added a setting to MODDING.INI that disables the side effect of control changing spells (Confusion, Possession, Creature Binding)
where they irrecoverably kill the unit. Disabling this feature might lead to unwanted side
effects, such as Raise Dead reviving units to fight for the enemy side. Use this option at your own risk.
-Added FORTLIG.CAS script to calculate fortress lightning strength and duration.
-Added logging of the fortress lightning strength and duration during debug mode.
-Score modifier names, display order and score value are now external in SCORING.INI
-It is now possible to add new score modifiers by raising the maximal amount in SCORING.INI
-Calculated map size is capped at 200x200. This should prevent any crashes caused by raising map size related values in the modding.ini file too high.
-Added debug mode logging of dispel effect strength and resistance when Dispel Magic, Dispelling Wave, Disillusionise, Disenchant Area, or Disjunction is cast.
-Item power data is now external in ITEMPOW.INI
-Maximal house type ID is now in MODDING.INI
-Increased several data structure sizes to make it possible to implement modding for related features in the future without changing save game compatibility. (such as maximal number of spells)

(August 28th, 2021, 12:59)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:OK, but the game features should be as intuitive as possible.

It's a windows application. People usually quit those by clicking the X on the corner of the window to close it.
It's also NOT an ingame hotkey. "ALt+F4" is the windows default for closing your active window/application. It's handled by the operating system, not the game.

AI players can see Stealth units on the map, the same way they do see invisible units as well as overland invisibility doesn't exist as a game feature vs the AI. On the other hand AI players don't scout and aren't restricted by Wizard Pacts. So they don't gain a benefit from the first two abilities either.
As a human player you gain benefit from the first two effects (scouting, pact) and the AI gains benefit from the third one (you can't see their Stealth unit).

In general the AI does play by the same rules where design allows them to. Visibility on the overland map and diplomacy are the two major exceptions.

Necromancy budget cost should already be displayed on the unit, like "Necromancy 280".

I played full screen. There was no X on the corner. I made full screen by ALT+Enter. I closed the Windows app by Alt+Tab then chose Close. 
I am trying to help the game development. I think for as many users as possible. I guess I never used Alt+F4 to even know that Windows Hot key exists. I am a Mac user. I only use Windows when Mac cannot do the job.

Thanks for the explanations on Stealth, but again, I am mainly thinking and asking on behalf for the players. Not just asking questions to explain stuff to me. Players should understand what is what. MOM had plenty of features I never understood. In spite of that it was my favorite game...

Necromancy 280 is nice to have inside the game. But incomplete without knowing the budget cost of individual units. It would be a lot more user friendly if the units displayed it on themselves instead of asking the user to keep reading the manual during game play.

I understand that AI is not a priority at this time, but in ultimate philosophy, would you please consider untying the AI's hand and enforcing the same rules on them? Yes, it is a lot of work to develop strong AI, I know.