As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

You are right. In that case it really doesn't matter how patrol works though I mean, you will always fight on the attacker's side not where you patrolled.

(September 19th, 2021, 16:30)Seravy Wrote: You are right. In that case it really doesn't matter how patrol works though I mean, you will always fight on the attacker's side not where you patrolled.

Exactly. Clear rules, no confusion, easy to implement, intuitive, no sub cases to consider what if, less likely to be bugged code, and fits the theme.

B43. New rampaging monsters were reported near another city. Not the closest. SpawnNearHome1.sav, SpawnNearHome2.sav

B44. Crash. Crash2.doc, Crash2.sav

B45. My units fled to the same square they fled from. Crash2.sav  Tower at 9,10. They could have only fled to a tile I had other units on (there was still space for them), so instead it fled back to the same tile.

S61. Add option that cities report about project completion even if they started next project automatically. Currently I need to check every city every turn to take care of the farmers and need to override new projects, etc.

S62. Terrain is not visible under my own units to help me decide which one to apply Change Terrain Spell to while already being asked where to cast it. Maybe the units can be a little smaller on the overland map to not hide the terrain?

Attached Files
.zip   H.zip (Size: 176.23 KB / Downloads: 1)

(September 20th, 2021, 09:57)WhiteMage Wrote: S62. Terrain is not visible under my own units to help me decide which one to apply Change Terrain Spell to while already being asked where to cast it. Maybe the units can be a little smaller on the overland map to not hide the terrain?

It is now possible to reduce the size of the overland icons, but ingame the image is only moved to the upper left corner (like the Gnomes in the image below). And the resolution of these icons (18x16) is already at the lowest end of the range where you still recognize all the different units. The grid helps a little - mountains and deserts are evident. Here is the solution for the terrain covered by units in the image below: Swamp, Grassland - Swamp, Desert, Desert - Swamp, Forest - Hills, Mountains, Mountains, River (indicated by a red cross) -  Mountains, Mountains, Mountains, River. A Surveyor working while the spell is being cast would help, or take a look at the tile before you cast Change Terrain ... ;p

More ideas: The cursor changes into a symbol for the underlying terrain that is there before or will be there after Change Terrain. Or: While Change Terrain is being cast, units are not displayed on the overland map. 

The same problem exists with all terrain targeting spells - Transmute, Raise Volcano, Corruption, Warp Node - right?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(September 20th, 2021, 09:57)WhiteMage Wrote: S62. Terrain is not visible under my own units to help me decide which one to apply Change Terrain Spell to while already being asked where to cast it. Maybe the units can be a little smaller on the overland map to not hide the terrain?

This change can even be made very simply by changing the image "unitframe" in the data folder. It doesn't look so good, I thought at first, but why not. I think I'll try those painting frames for a while. See attached images of the same situation as in the last post.

Edit: Other terrain features that are otherwise covered by units get also a bit visible. E.g. the Tower in the attached image 3.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for all these great ideas, Slingers. 

I think "While Change Terrain is being cast, units are not displayed on the overland map" is the best solution for the current version of COM II. Simple design, easy to implement, provides full visual view for the players' short-term objective, no serious negative side effect I can think of. I propose this for default implementation to serve the players. 

None of my suggestions I made before are purely for myself. I always try to think about all players.

That's a pretty good idea and might be worth adding for all terrain targeting spells in general.

(September 21st, 2021, 13:52)Seravy Wrote: That's a pretty good idea and might be worth adding for all terrain targeting spells in general.

Yes. Maybe implement mouse right click that time to show/hide all units. This way old display works too.

(September 17th, 2021, 07:24)Suppanut Wrote: This savegame play continously from 1.0.9, I continue this save game up to current official version (1.1.2) due to I heard that 1.2 would not longer compatible with this save. I want to end this playthrough before release of 1.2 but after a few long turns played in version 1.1.2, I have this save crush upon click end turn.

The lag seems to be created by calculating the city road bonus.
omg, there is a road on every tile. No wonder. Ok, I'll classify that as "not a bug".

The crash comes from "integer overflow" when calculating the unit rating of unit 713, the Beastmaster.
This unit has 32 defense with a To Defend chance of 82% and 40 HP.  Also has a hit chance of 93% with 30 attack and 33 ranged attack.
Yes, that does exceed 2.1 billion during the calculation. This should use a 64 bit variable instead of a 32 bit one.
The only way to fix this bug is to remove the hero that causes it or at least make it weaker.
Fortunately, it's your own hero so you can easily do that.

I have to admit, that's quite amusing. Do you plan to make a solution for this? I suspect it's pretty rare for heroes to get this busted in stats, but you never know...