As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Quote:Where is the dump folder? I commonly get unhandled exception when starting a new game.

In modding.ini there is an option to turn on debug mode which generates a fairly detailed log.txt file about what's happening.

Bug report:

Save game from Warlord mod version 1.4.5 for CoM II version 1.4.1. Game seem to crash upon ai analyze my newly created Great Chaos Lord (undead version) during combat (on second turn). I attached both save game along with log.txt as it crash during or after "Selecting attack type". In case Seravy could not open it right now. After CoM II version 1.4.2 is released on steam I will create mod version that support version 1.4.2 for you to test this bug.

.zip   GreatChaosLordCauseCTD.zip (Size: 624.72 KB / Downloads: 3)

Playing with the Steam version of Caster of Magic for Windows. It looks like v1.04.02 dropped on Steam today and automatically downloaded. When I load an existing save, the game crashes when I open a city. Reverting to v1.03.00 through the Steam beta opt-in fixes the issue. Attached my most recent save and autosave.

Not sure if a lack of backwards compatibility is expected, but thought I'd report just in case. Love the game to death and thanks for all of the hard work on it!

Attached Files
.zip   saves.zip (Size: 52.09 KB / Downloads: 0)

This is probably just a case of today's version update (on GOG, to 1.04.02) breaking old saves, but there's an exception in this file: https://ufile.io/ll6rembx

If you click on the city two tiles south of the active unit, there's an exception crash. Also, if you just end turn, it also crashes at the end of that turn. Looks like some of my prior saves also encounter exceptions. I was able to pass a turn on a new game without issue.

(May 23rd, 2022, 13:23)jhsidi Wrote: This is probably just a case of today's version update (on GOG, to 1.04.02) breaking old saves, but there's an exception in this file: https://ufile.io/ll6rembx

If you click on the city two tiles south of the active unit, there's an exception crash. Also, if you just end turn, it also crashes at the end of that turn. Looks like some of my prior saves also encounter exceptions. I was able to pass a turn on a new game without issue.

Same here...

It's crashing because the city has a city enchantment with the ID 28. That doesn't seem to be a valid city enchantment id, both in master.cas and in the source code they go up until 27 and that also seems to be the case for the old ID conversion table.
May I ask what enchantment is on the city?

(the only other possible solution I can think of is, if the variables of non-existing enchantment IDs were not zeroed, that could cause this issue since the old version ignored the invalid IDs but the new one looks at every ID, expecting modded enchantments. But as far as I know, the entire data should be zeroed when a new game starts.)

Nevermind, I realized what's the problem.

The data is correctly zeroed but unlike everywhere else, for city enchantments, zero does not equal "no enchantment", it equals "enchantment owned by player 0".
So yes, unfortunately the update broke save compatibility.

I've sent a hotfix to Slitherine to restore compatibility.

Thanks for the fix. I started a new game anyway. One more bug I've observed: Sorcery wizards are constantly casting Confusion on units with immunity to illusions.

Also -- I don't think anything actually changed here, but in the last several games I've played, I've hardly gotten any offers from heroes. Like, literally 0 offers by 1508 sort of thing. It's odd.

I wish there were some kind of increasing likelihood counter for getting hero offers. Complete randomness is quite problematic.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a misunderstanding: AIPROD says that BBUILDING is set to 1 to build a building, and zero to build a unit. I've been trying to force more garrison, but even ending the file with BBUILDING=0; doesn't make the AI towns build any more units. Maybe whatever is supposed to read that value isn't doing so.

BTW, whatever happened to debug mode? Since the last update, alt-shift-s doesn't work. In a way, it's a good thing to not have the temptations it offers, but the 'run 12 turns' command would have been useful for testing AIPROD modding.

Quote:Thanks for the fix. I started a new game anyway. One more bug I've observed: Sorcery wizards are constantly casting Confusion on units with immunity to illusions.

Is there a save file for this?

Quote:Also -- I don't think anything actually changed here, but in the last several games I've played, I've hardly gotten any offers from heroes. Like, literally 0 offers by 1508 sort of thing. It's odd.

Maybe you had no gold?

Quote:I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a misunderstanding: AIPROD says that BBUILDING is set to 1 to build a building, and zero to build a unit. I've been trying to force more garrison, but even ending the file with BBUILDING=0; doesn't make the AI towns build any more units. Maybe whatever is supposed to read that value isn't doing so.

Turn on debug mode. It should show "Building chosen!" or "Unit chosen!" in the log.txt file depending on the value of the variable.

Quote:BTW, whatever happened to debug mode? Since the last update, alt-shift-s doesn't work.
I think it was always ctrl-shift-s, not alt. Or you can also turn it on permanently in modding.ini.