As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

I think action weight should be change to action turn depending on movement point rather than whole unit's stats. And think some rules should be added for more realistic result.
1) range units get 1-3 free attack rounds depend on opponent's fastest units.
2) unit that not fly could not deal melee damage to flyer except in retaliation unless cast antifly spell.
3) fast invisible flyer units could roll for avoid melee like in manual combat  and allow result to end in draw unless counter is available in combat. Chance of rolling depend on unit own movement compare to sum of movement point available on opponent side.

I hate when ai just use impossible army steal air elementals lair from me. Rule should be more fair when impossible things should be more impossible-like for autocalculation.

Also, I may perhaps be asking too much, but is it possible to eventually expose the equations used for autocombat to modding in their entirety?

I think Square root is too far in the opposite direction. Applying an exponent like 0.75 is more appropriate.

(February 12th, 2023, 02:37)Anskiy Wrote:
(February 12th, 2023, 00:09)Seravy Wrote: But maybe this much weighting is excessive?

Would using the square root of the unit rating instead of the actual value help, I wonder?
The primary problem might be that unit rating is already non-linear as it's attack*defense*hp+/- some modifiers in the formula.

Using the SQRT in this combat would put the sprites at 21.9 and the hero at 153,72 weight, which seems more realistic.
That way the hero would be 153 and the 8 sprites 172 total weight so the hero would "only" represent about half the army instead of 80%.

Of course even that won't completely "fix" the problem for the more extreme cases like a demigod hero with 8 spearmen but should help at least for the more common situations.

Autocombat has definitely been broken for quite a while. I would welcome anything that makes the results more realistic. Few things are more annoying than seeing the AI loot lairs with armies that clearly shouldn't have been able to win.
Thanks for looking into this, both. I lack the knowledge to discuss the mechanics or offer solutions, mine is just pure user feedback.
I haven't really noticed such behaviour before but for this game I actually printed and made myself a map with all the lairs and their armies. I can only play few hrs here and there, so I didn't want to forget what's happening and reinvent the wheel every time I play smile  This way I was very aware what's happening with the lairs, especially around my towns, where I had full vision with nature's eye. And to agree with Anskiy, (I didn't expect to become so annoyed) this really threw me into a blind rage smile)

Quote:1) range units get 1-3 free attack rounds depend on opponent's fastest units.

This already happens but depending on the army speed. Number of turns is more like 2-5. (Defender of course goes first)

Quote:unit that not fly could not deal melee damage to flyer except in retaliation unless cast antifly spell.
fast invisible flyer units could roll for avoid melee like in manual combat  and allow result to end in draw unless counter is available in combat.

Units don't fight in automatic combat, armies do. But this too is already implemented, melee damage can't be dealt if the enemy army only has "flying hit points" remaining. Only "anti-flying" damage goes through, which requires the attacking army to have flying, breath or gaze attacks. Access to anti-fly spells like Web converts some melee damage to anti-fly damage.
As far as I remember, in those circumstances the "flying" army also doesn't deal melee damage to simulate not engaging in melee combat.
And yes, similar rules apply to invisible units fighting an enemy army with no "anti-invisibility" attacks (Illusion Immunity).

(February 12th, 2023, 19:20)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:1) range units get 1-3 free attack rounds depend on opponent's fastest units.

This already happens but depending on the army speed. Number of turns is more like 2-5. (Defender of course goes first)

Quote:unit that not fly could not deal melee damage to flyer except in retaliation unless cast antifly spell.
fast invisible flyer units could roll for avoid melee like in manual combat  and allow result to end in draw unless counter is available in combat.

Units don't fight in automatic combat, armies do. But this too is already implemented, melee damage can't be dealt if the enemy army only has "flying hit points" remaining. Only "anti-flying" damage goes through, which requires the attacking army to have flying, breath or gaze attacks. Access to anti-fly spells like Web converts some melee damage to anti-fly damage.
As far as I remember, in those circumstances the "flying" army also doesn't deal melee damage to simulate not engaging in melee combat.
And yes, similar rules apply to invisible units fighting an enemy army with no "anti-invisibility" attacks (Illusion Immunity).

Thank you.

A couple of odd things I've noticed.
One is quite common: an enemy wizard you haven't met yet casts a global enchantment and you get the notification. I think that unmet wizards actions shouldn't be notified to the player, or at least, as anonymous.
Another one: I am the only wizard remaining on Myrror, there are still other wizards on Arcane, and planar travel is still locked. The "I win" button is green. This is very odd. IMO, the "I win" should be enabled ONLY if planar travel has been unlocked, AND all enemy wizards have been met.

Please remove or replace "World Ender" Artifact from the artifacts list, it's very bad artifact design for a high tier artifacts.
it's enchantments:

1. Doom
2. Death
3. Destruction
4. -3 spell save

I know I can edit it out, I just think it would not be fair to give it to anyone playing the game as a 2000-3000 budget artifact.

When I use "Resurrection" to revive a hero I gave a custom name to, the hero comes back with his default name instead (es., "Brax" for the dwarf), with no way to rename him.
Just a cosmetics issue, but if custom names are allowed....!!! :-)

(February 15th, 2023, 15:37)GMBarak Wrote: Please remove or replace "World Ender" Artifact from the artifacts list, it's very bad artifact design for a high tier artifacts.
it's enchantments:

1. Doom
2. Death
3. Destruction
4. -3 spell save

I know I can edit it out, I just think it would not be fair to give it to anyone playing the game as a 2000-3000 budget artifact.

What's the problem with that artifact?

Death and Destruction are somewhat redundant but they still provide two rolls to instantly kill instead of one and are cheap powers, they don't drive the cost up too much. I could remove Death but it wouldn't make much difference in cost and in some cases would make the item worse.

Doom and Spell Save are generic purpose, useful and powerful abilities. Even the least "save or die" realm, Life, can have good use for it by casting Holy Word or Exorcise.

Quote:When I use "Resurrection" to revive a hero I gave a custom name to, the hero comes back with his default name instead (es., "Brax" for the dwarf), with no way to rename him.

Ouch, again? It feels like this feature breaks every few updates somehow, tho last time the name was missing.
Edit : fixed for the next update.