As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[PB75] Newbfragar and Rusty's Beginner's Guide to Civ4

Intermediate Interlude
Look our first intermediate interlude! I envision these as slightly deeper examinations of the beginner topics for when someone’s got a few games under their belt. These still aren’t exhaustive and can safely be skipped by beginners, but I include them for the ambitious newcomer.
I said every civ & leader was good and you couldn’t go wrong. Perhaps you doubted: “Fine, they’re all good. But which one is the best?” Relax. You really can’t go wrong, but if you want, here is how to evaluate your possible choices.
Ask, what is my civ/leader like? Or more specifically, what would it feel like if I didn’t have my civ or leader? So for the Celts, our unique building is like a wall, except it gives an extra promotion and an additional culture point. Our Aggressive/Industrious Stalin leader is like having more soldiers and more wonders. Another leader might give you more gold or more workers. “But naufragar!” I hear you ask, “I have no idea whether it’s better to have more gold, or more workers, or more soldiers.” Of course not. No one does. That’s why they’re all good choices, and Civ4 is a beautiful game. If a vet tries to convince you otherwise, tell him, “Pop quiz, hotshot. Which is better, +1 movement on a musketman or +1 strength on a chariot?” Then watch the vet be reduced to incoherence.

It all comes down to what you’d like to play. Are you the kind of player that likes lots of money? Lots of soldiers? That imagines swarming the plains with chariots or running through the jungles with swordsmen? If you really need to have a mechanism for picking, choose what you like and then hunt through the Civilopedia in the game for something that looks better than the baseline for what you’d like to do. (We’ll return to evaluate other players’ and our own combo after the pick phase of this game.)
There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.

(December 17th, 2023, 08:38)naufragar Wrote: I’ll be writing this report as a beginner’s guide. The audience I have in mind is someone who knows of RB reporting and finds it interesting but doesn’t know Civ4 and is intimidated to start. My goal is to make this 20-year-old game seem fresh, so people can appreciate other reports on this site and maybe get into the game themselves. If you notice somewhere that I’ve painted with a broad brush, then you are already too advanced for this guide. I’ll leave it to Rusten to give insight into anything more advanced. wink Let’s get into it.

I think that's a great idea, and I'll gladly be the idiot you're explaining it to.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

I guess I could use some tips too...
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

This is a great thread approach.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Nowfrogger: Rome start
[Image: T8Sejt9.jpg]

Thanks, Comm (and Pind!). And thanks Tarkeel and Amica for your kind words. I’m on the road for another six hours, but once I get an Internet-connected stop, I’ll write more.

(December 20th, 2023, 08:17)Commodore Wrote: Nowfrogger: Rome start
[Image: T8Sejt9.jpg]

Thanks Commodore!

Could you please confirm whether the northern corn has fresh water? I see a body of water there, but I don't know if it's a lake or sea.

Believe it is dry.

Your revised start:

Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Thanks, Pind! Best Christmas ever! More thoughts to come soon ™.