As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] yuris125 praying to RNGesus

This was google's first result when searching for "RNGesus".... and this is how I expect the game to go

Some quick notes from test games

* Totestra maps are huge. Every game I played so far, I could settle 15-20 cities uncontested. Of course, "uncontested" won't happen in an MP game, AI just doesn't know how to play advanced start
* It's pretty much always worth getting the 2nd city from the start. Some starts have good locations for 3 cities; however, you cannot buy the 3rd city / settler and the 2nd worker (unless you're Joao), and starting with a single worker for 3 cities is a struggle. There are occasions where it's worthwhile (especially for an Imp leader whose settlers only cost 66 points, so they can afford a settler and a workboat), but it's more of an exception
* Not taking traits into account, most commonly I wanted to start with 2 cities, 2 workers, and granaries in both cities
* Research-wise, my preferred path was Monarchy - Metal Casting (access to triremes is essential to protect seafood, especially with raging barbs) - Maths - Currency. Iron Working fits where necessary, and sometimes has to be the first tech if you roll a jungle start. Currency can be a limiting factor for early expansion, but with our settings I was fine expanding to about 8 cities before Currency, and can see 10 being possible with more polished play

My start

lol at 5 seafoods all clustered together

For leader I rolled Cre/Cha of Holy Rome

Some observations:
* The northmost fish is only accessible if I settle on the rice. If I do, there's no way to split this seafood cluster between two cities. Probably not what I want, so I will have to give up that fish
* The most reasonable idea I came up with so far is to have one city NNE of the copper, and the other between two rice resources. The latter should probably be the capital, it's likely to be a more central location, and the former has too many water tiles for my liking. Then probably the third city SE of the copper, but that won't be part of the advanced start
* Both rice resources are jungled. I may want to spend some points to put farms on them, so that I don't have to invest in early IW
* There's a tundra tile S of the copper, so I must be fairly far to the south of the map. I may not have a neighbour to the south, which would mean only one direction to defend early (but the south will need anti-barb measures)

(July 30th, 2024, 19:54)yuris125 Wrote: There's a tundra tile S of the copper, so I must be fairly far to the south of the map. I may not have a neighbour to the south, which would mean only one direction to defend early (but the south will need anti-barb measures)

I'm not completely sure, but I believe Totestra commonly represents "altitude" via climate as well - i.e. a high plateau might be represented as a tundra plains in an otherwise-temperate region(?) or high-but-passable mountain slopes might be represented as a tundra hill. At least, a "normal" map script of significant size would never have jungle tiles so close to tundra, including (if I'm reading your screenshot correctly) at least one on the same row as the tundra hill, so....

Can you use advanced start to remove jungle without IW?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(July 30th, 2024, 21:42)RefSteel Wrote: I'm not completely sure, but I believe Totestra commonly represents "altitude" via climate as well - i.e. a high plateau might be represented as a tundra plains in an otherwise-temperate region(?) or high-but-passable mountain slopes might be represented as a tundra hill. At least, a "normal" map script of significant size would never have jungle tiles so close to tundra, including (if I'm reading your screenshot correctly) at least one on the same row as the tundra hill, so....

Ah that would make sense. Yeah I was wondering about that, fog in the southwest looks like a desert, so tundra didn't make sense

(July 31st, 2024, 01:55)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Can you use advanced start to remove jungle without IW?

Tested and no, you cannot. Thought it would be possible to overwrite forest/jungle by purchasing tile improvements, similar to cities, but you can only purchase an improvement for a tile which can me impoved that way without modifications. Since a judgled tile would require clearing jungle before farming, you cannot purchase a farm there. So I'm pretty much forced to put the first two cities on the eastern coast, there's no visible usable food elsewhere

This kinda sucks, because ideally the second city should go SE of the copper in this configuration, but I think I have to spend point on visibility around that spot to ensure I'm not orfaning seafood. But I cannot even do that before I plant the capital. So the city in the NE corner will have to be the capital. And I don't know how much I like that spot longterm with so much water

Also, revealing the three water tiles I would lose by settling SE of the copper and not on the blue circle would cost 15 ponts, that's half a workboat....

I'm not going to come up with any better ideas

So:
Capital NNE of the copper
This revealed one of the three tiles I needed to reveal to assess location of the second city (but I wasted 5 points in the end, so it didn't matter). Revealed the other two
No seafood revealed this way, so put the second city SE of the copper as planned
Put the required units (worker, scout, archer) in the second city

This left me with 110 points. Unfortunately 20 points is not an easy amount to spend with advanced start - like everything important costs 30 points. Pastures cost 24, roads cost 12 - very awkward amounts when you have 20 points to spend
I thought for ages about the best way to handle it, and didn't come up with anything more creative than putting points into food resources
So:
60 points = Fishing nets on the fish 2N of the capital, and the fish at the second city
30 points = Workboat in the capital. Will do a little bit of scouting before improving the other fish
And then the 2nd scout in the capital to spend 15 of the remaining 20 points. Waste the last 5 points, can't do anything with them

Both cities should start with 10 culture (the benefit of being creative)

I imagine the first turn was pretty similar for everyone

Switch to Slavery and OR
One scout starts moving west, the other south. Archer will chill on the desert hill in the SW for fogbusting
Worker moves towards pigs

I will need to spend another turn in anarchy to adopt religion once it's founded

Research set to Monarchy, I don't need HR in the immediate future, but would like to get this turn of anarchy out of the way as early as possible as well

Actually now that I posted this, I started wondering if there was merit to delaying the first anarchy until after HR and adopting Slavery and OR then. Will I want to whip something before Monarchy finishes?

The answer is probably yes, Monarchy will take about 15 turns, cities are going to grow very fast with so much food, and I need to whip workers, workboats, and granaries asap. But I should not have revolted on autopilot

I misclicked the worker thinking it was the scout, and moved it past the pigs. Not worth worrying about it / reloading, but it is a wasted worker turn

A strong start.... may it be the biggest mistake I make lol