I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

There hasn't been much activity here in the last few months, and during that time, I've been thinking about the unofficial patch. I'm a huge fan, and amazingly impressed at what one person has been able to accomplish. I also realize that it's a huge amount of work and it's sometimes hard to see an end even when bugs don't pop up.

I'd like to suggest to kyrub a series of intermediate patches, to split up the major areas for bug/stability testing, separate balance testing (ie no mammoth group of changes that makes it hard to sift through), and for wide release. Basically, alot of people loved MOO, and releasing a "patch" to the world on the site (and in the media) would be loved by many. I'd like to know that my favorite 17 year old game just had some bug fixes and improvements, because it's certainly hard to locate a search reference to this site and patch, besides, retro gaming is all the rage these days!

Ultimately, kyrub is the final arbiter of course.

My pie in the sky scheme is as follows. It would require more work, but they could even be tested completely apart from each other, and then combined while we screen for bugs/leaks.

The one major addition to the game I feel strongly about including sooner rather than later, possibly as a version Xb for each of these, is the research diode light - that thing rocks.

Patch A (aka interface patch+major bugs+racial bugs)
- Anything related to proper displays, game messaging, and interface improvements (I'd include planetary ecology fixes)
- Leadership personalities
- Spy costs
- From the "bugs" list - factory refit, 4th colony, nebula, bioweapon, wait fixes, meklar fix, early development
- Planetary shield tech tree fix
- Silicoid tech list fixes

Patch B (aka other bugs patch)
- Remaining bugs and unintended not related to AI

Patch C (aka the AI patch, possibly several steps)
- Anything related to AI and diplomacy improvements

Patch D and beyond (other additions or balancing)
- Additions TBD
- Balance fixes TBD using feedback from the above changes

Hi everybody,

sorry for being out for so long.
I will take a look at the unfinished business in next few weeks.

Great to see you back; thanks!

Ahh, Refsteel, just how many of your epic reports I have missed?

It's great to see that the tournament section is thriving. Really, there are not many communities around the web like RBO.

Thanks for coming back Kyrub! jive.

Glad to see you're still active kyrub. I check this forum about once a week to see how things are going. Was thinking that the Larva patch would be as far as it would go for now, but even that's an accomplishment.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

PS: was just reading a forum somewhere else saying you're taking a look at MoM?

kyrub Wrote:Ahh, Refsteel, just how many of your epic reports I have missed?
I dunno - we're on Imperium 9 now, so ... about negative fifteen? (Actually, some of my recent reports have been pretty short ... ... ... comparatively, that is.)

Quote:It's great to see that the tournament section is thriving. Really, there are not many communities around the web like RBO.
And thanks for your part in that community; I still find your work on these unofficial patches extremely impressive!

Hmm, as we all know, the patch is unfinished, so more or less useless...

Anyway, while being out I learned a lot of new things. And - if I can find the bug(s) in my own work (and that is a big if) - I'd like to tackle the AI problems, first the exploits, second the tech, trade etc. decisions. When I look back, I think I overstressed the "clearing bugs" area which finally led to a sort of nitpicking. The AI section is much more important for the game itself, I feel.

Well, as anybody here knows already, I prefer working slowly (so no big expectations).

Hmm... not sure how you're going to tackle the bugs in the Larva edition - whether you're going to import a couple fixes at a time into the existing Embryo and go from there or search and destroy the bugs adhoc but here's a list of errors that I've encountered with the Larva patch.

- exit to DOS with [.LBX] cound not find entry 7
- system hang on clicking Next Turn
- phantom ghost ships that get sent to distant stars letting me attack or bomb planets

Also, I don't seem to see a SAVE9.GAM, though there looks like there's a SAVE10.GAM?

Ok, off to check the Imperium game.

AI things are usually require much more efforts and tuning, therefore takes much longer to get perceptible better (not worse as it tends to be at first wink ) result. So Bug squatching would be an instant benefit for all players, so audience will do the all "testing" work for you while you will be dealing with the AI mess :-D Yeah, bug fixing is not so exciting as AI development, but believe, that pays off (no billion posts asking your progress & etc).
Also, it would be nice if you could release your patch codes as open source - someone could continue your quest in a way of your retirement or boredom. And also more addicts may join your perfection quest.

Known API for functions, settings in ini files would be nice for experimental-modding

kyrub Wrote:Anyway, while being out I learned a lot of new things. And - if I can find the bug(s) in my own work (and that is a big if) - I'd like to tackle the AI problems, first the exploits, second the tech, trade etc. decisions. When I look back, I think I overstressed the "clearing bugs" area which finally led to a sort of nitpicking. The AI section is much more important for the game itself, I feel.
________
Yamaha Raptor 660 history