For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

Using 1.40m, Now the Silicoids have a more powerful way to conquer the galaxy

[Image: orion027.png]

They can summon DEATH and instantly kill all foes lol

Seriously now, i don't consider this a bug, but i feel i should report it anyway, i think it have something to do with shortening the names to fit the screen. Savegame attached.

Got bored enough to join and ask this, why don't you lock down the value on how many missile bases you can have? If you haven't ever done this before(And I'll admit you can't do this without a lot of effort), if you get 32767 missile bases, the value rolls over and becomes negative. I'd include a save, but for some reason, I can't find that Save7 file you talk about in the opening post.

Anyway, since the maintenance value rolls over at about...I'd say 1000, and since the damage value caps out about then, how's about capping the number of missile bases per planet at around the same number?

Star Sage Wrote:Got bored enough to join and ask this, why don't you lock down the value on how many missile bases you can have? If you haven't ever done this before(And I'll admit you can't do this without a lot of effort), if you get 32767 missile bases, the value rolls over and becomes negative. I'd include a save, but for some reason, I can't find that Save7 file you talk about in the opening post.

Anyway, since the maintenance value rolls over at about...I'd say 1000, and since the damage value caps out about then, how's about capping the number of missile bases per planet at around the same number?

In my (limited) experience, this seems like something that really only happens to the human player, and then only if the human intends to do so: since this behavior is now known, that shouldn't be an issue. Even on Impossible, the AI isn't likely to build more than a few hundred MB before you've got some set of superweapons capable of turning the enemy into dust anyway, or they've got a winning position on you no matter what you do.

For neatness, it would be nice to fix this bug, but how common an occurrence is it really? It's not like the Negative Fleet Bug, which happens reasonably frequently; I know I dusted several of them in my one Imperium back a year and a half ago. I've never tried nor seen this MB bug, although there may have been some players who pushed it in that same Imperium which was a Huge Builderfest as the Silicoids?

Ship Maintenance Cost is bugged.

I have 0 ships but
- Planets -> Spending Costs -> Ships 5.9%
- Fleet -> Ship Maintenance Cost 2200

I build 1 medium ship and
- Planets -> Spending Costs -> Ships 5.8%
- Fleet -> Ship Maintenance Cost 2201

First, let me thank you for the work you put into this and MOM! Those were always on my HD ever since I discovered them. I must say I'm surprised there is still active "development" on them.

One annoying little thing I noticed when unpacking your patch in linux is that you have 'STARMAP.exe', not 'STARMAP.EXE' in the archive. That left me wondering what version I played (obviously 1.3) until I figured that out.

qynalon Wrote:Ship Maintenance Cost is bugged.

I have 0 ships but
- Planets -> Spending Costs -> Ships 5.9%
- Fleet -> Ship Maintenance Cost 2200

I build 1 medium ship and
- Planets -> Spending Costs -> Ships 5.8%
- Fleet -> Ship Maintenance Cost 2201

Qynalon, take a look at your planets. While you have no ships, you do have 22 stargates. Stargates' maintenance was always counted in ship maintenance (it was the partial cause of 8th stargate bug). 22 * 100 = 2200. 22*100 + 1 = 2201.

Mystery solved. No bug. Thanks for the report!

@Ingos
Does the "Death" word represent Death Spores?

Here are some suggestions.

I think by modifying the AI the game could be way more challenging. For example the AI player actually checking if you have any fleet to attack him when the player threatens the AI. Also you shouldn't be able to threaten enemy races almost infinitely. Pacifistic and honorable races are worst at this, they will give the player all their tech save the best ones in every field. No need for espionage. Also you can entirely prevent their expansion by having a scout on every unoccupied planet and just threaten them all the time.

Another problem is ship combat. If you have a planet with high enough shields that enemy ships can't damage the missile bases you can have one small behind the planet and the whole enemy fleet attacks to destroy that one ship losing sometimes even their whole fleet in the process.

I have plenty more suggestions but I would like to know first what could possibly be implemented before writing a wall of text.

HyperSuperDuper Wrote:Here are some suggestions.

I think by modifying the AI the game could be way more challenging.

Nice to meet you as well. You seem to be quite eager to suggest things.

Maybe you should read the "AI enhancement" thread with more than 13 pages to see that the AI discussion is going on for a pretty long time already. Also, I recommend reading the MoO Exploit list thread (the old discussion thread may be even better, try searching for it), which will give you some interesting info from very experienced players - for instance, the "bait" situation you described actually helps AI to get rid of its useless ships, so it is not so bad as you (and I) thought.

That said, the current AI is surely very far from solid and I intend to change it with a second, 1.50 patch. If you have some more suggestions that are NOT in those thread I mentioned, put them in the AI thread, please. You may use a wall of text, although the points are preferred, for clarity.

Hey Hyper. Don't mind kyrub's grouchy exterior, he's really very adorable and lovely once you get to know him. Right now he's cranky because I'm weighing him down with requests for Master of Magic hacking alright

Do drop by the Master of Magic section as well!

Catwalk is right. Sorry for being rough, there, Hyper. I appreciate anybody who is trying to contribute to make this game better.

Oh, and don't listen to Catwalk's tempting. MoO in its conceptual simplicity is far superior to the over-featured world of MoM. Stay with us. wink