Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

Quote:3. Opponent has "Improved Terraforming +60", or something like that, but diplomacy only shows "Improved Terraforming".

It's a well known original bug on the report screen. Wait for next version.

Quote:6. Confusing statement:
Ship "Design" => "Ion Stream Projector": "Reduces enemy armor by 20%". Rephrase to "Reduces enemy max HP by 20%".

Yes, it somewhat confusing, because projectors stream all ships in stack, not top of them.
But in substance things work that way. Projector really reduces armor, and such an expression "reduces max armor / hitpoints" looks dull.

(January 1st, 2014, 17:34)Andrew Wrote:
Quote:[quote]
6. Confusing statement:
Ship "Design" => "Ion Stream Projector": "Reduces enemy armor by 20%". Rephrase to "Reduces enemy max HP by 20%".
Yes, it somewhat confusing, because projectors stream all ships in stack, not top of them.
But in substance things work that way. Projector really reduces armor, and such an expression "reduces max armor / hitpoints" looks dull.
User experience is the most important factor.
How about
"Lowers target stack's max HP by 20%"?

Quote:User experience is the most important factor.
How about "Lowers target stack's max HP by 20%"?

An experienced user knows how projectors are running smile
Remaining armor hits and max armor hits are the same, except the ship on top of stack. And just 'armor' is perceived easier than 'max armor'.
Perhaps "Reduces armor of all ships by 20%" looks good enough, but unfortunately already long to fit in that place (max length of 31 characters).

I'm not entirely sure if this is the place for this, so I apologize in advance if there is a more general "bug" thread.
I've played a lot of MoO over the years, and before I really upped my game into Impossible I used to play mostly Average games, dominate the AIs down to one planet each, and then sit on them until I could design the most ridiculously overpowered ships imaginable. I mean like BUILD stacks of 32000 smalls armed with Mauler Devices and whatever else I could cram on. I have a sadistic streak, don't judge.
Ok, now I'm rambling. My POINT in writing this was to say that I have reached the end of the tech tree in a lot of games, and I have NEVER seen any Advanced Weapon Tech beyond level VII (7). Has anyone else noticed this, or has anyone (kyrub) noticed anything in the game code that would account for this? All other Advanced techs go as high as level X (10). Of course not all levels are present in any tree, and there is no guarantee how high the player will be able to advance up the Advanced techs. I've reached MAX tech level at Advanced Tech V, or reached all the way up to Advanced Tech X, but again I have NEVER seen an Advanced Weapon Tech beyond VII.

(January 17th, 2014, 13:17)Ianus Wrote: I have NEVER seen any Advanced Weapon Tech beyond level VII (7). Has anyone else noticed this, or has anyone (kyrub) noticed anything in the game code that would account for this? All other Advanced techs go as high as level X (10).

That's actually an intended effect: Advanced Techs have no impact except to increase tech level (and therefore miniaturization) and the maximum tech level the game can keep track of is 99. Once you hit tech level 99 in a field, I believe the game does let you (pointlessly) research one more Advanced Tech in that field, but then stops offering techs. The result is that fields where you have lots of pre-Advanced techs (and therefore a higher overall tech level) in your tree and/or acquired through trade/invasion/espionage will present fewer Advanced Tech levels before you hit level 99 and get no more options. Since Weapons has by far the largest number of research options of any tree (and almost always the largest number of techs you'll end up acquiring before starting Advanced Techs) it will almost always offer fewer Advanced Techs.

Is this the place for bug reports? I am going to assume that it is and proceed accordingly.

In my last game I noticed a bug with the Lightning Shield special. When equipped on enemy AI ships attacking my colonies the shield blocked 100% of missiles fired from my missile bases 100% of the time when I fired them manually. Turn after turn my missiles did no damage to the attackers. But when I turned on Auto combat the ships suddenly began taking damage from my missiles. I can't remember what missile tech I had but it was at least Stingers. Whichever it was I know that the missiles were capable of destroying ships, just not when fired manually. Has anyone else observed this or know what causes it?

I don't know that this qualifies as a "bug" but I noticed this in my last game and thought I would put it here.
So I was playing a test game using Whitemage's final war/no colonists ruleset, and I decided that in the interest of self-preservation I would eliminate the much more technologically advanced Psilons before I initiated Final War in order to prevent the rest of the galaxy from gaining ~20 tech levels. However AFTER eliminating the Psilons and rejecting the council decision the remaining races STILL gained all techs previously held by the Psilons. And this was not because the game didn't know that the Psilons were gone. I had eliminated them some 22 turns before the vote (my timing was a little off).
So this may not be an actual bug, and maybe there is no way to eliminate it as a feature in future patches, but just be advised that the 1.3 game does not exclude extinct races when redistributing techs among enemy AI following declaration of Final War.

(January 1st, 2014, 16:45)Doomk Wrote: me too smile waiting of the PR company wink

(December 18th, 2013, 07:20)kyrub Wrote:
(December 16th, 2013, 10:50)Doomk Wrote: would it be possible to open source ...

I have replied to you in PM.

Any update on this? I would like to join on the open source efforts and use my resources from Beyond Beyaan in helping with this.
Dominus Galaxia, a Master of Orion inspired game I'm working on.

I got a crash in the middle of a battle. Mouse still moved though, but the battle was frozen. Then I went to "Continue Game", but the last autosave was on the very first turn.

(August 24th, 2014, 21:44)Dwedit Wrote: I got a crash in the middle of a battle. Mouse still moved though, but the battle was frozen. Then I went to "Continue Game", but the last autosave was on the very first turn.

If you are using 1.40m that is normal (the autosave not the crash). You have to replace SAVE7.GAM with the latest autosave file (SAVE150.GAM for example) by copying that file, changing its name to SAVE7.GAM and then replacing the existing SAVE7 file. The autosave only updates when you quit the game to the main menu in 1.40m.
An interesting crash. Was anything else happening with your computer at that time? Any other game bugs?