For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

(January 28th, 2016, 11:59)Ianus Wrote: Of course the reason most players here eschew bioweapons altogether is that the diplomatic penalties associated with them are ALREADY so severe that they just aren't worth it in most situations.
I dunno. There are a couple of quite significant bugs related to bioweapons in the base game, and for a number of reasons (including the AI's poor terraforming strategies) using them seems to be highly exploitable. There are definitely times in a game when I'm not concerned about the diplomatic consequences of my actions, but I still don't spore anyone because it just seems wrong. (Knowing me, though, this may be for flavor reasons as much as anything else.)

Quote:I'm not sure that the assassination event CAN happen with a race the player is already at war with.
It can! I've had the diplo event strike between me and a race I was at war with already, and they actually declared war on me again in spite of being in a state of war already!

are these patches savegame compatible ?
Also all the links go to 404 i would really love to know more about the fixes.

I dont know if there is still development on this but i wanted to confirm that the 0population bug is still present in 1.4m

I discovered complete terraforming and ong my planets mentar and Endoria i gave it max allocation in ECO.
Buum 0 pop on both planets

I've uploade the last 5 rounds of game
https://www.speedyshare.com/GVGkM/0pop.zip

Is that update gonna be implemented or has the unofficial patch project been abandoned?

It's doubtful kyrub will update his patch. What needs to happen is someone else step up to the plate and continue. Unfortunately, EXE hackers are hard to find. Seravy has been hacking up a new v1.5 of Master of Magic, Simtex's other game, but I don't think he's interested in MoO.

(June 11th, 2016, 20:57)Tiltowait Wrote: It's doubtful kyrub will update his patch. What needs to happen is someone else step up to the plate and continue. Unfortunately, EXE hackers are hard to find. Seravy has been hacking up a new v1.5 of Master of Magic, Simtex's other game, but I don't think he's interested in MoO.

Is kyrub still available? At least of one my 4 ideas for the update I really want implemented.

(June 11th, 2016, 20:57)Tiltowait Wrote: It's doubtful kyrub will update his patch. What needs to happen is someone else step up to the plate and continue. Unfortunately, EXE hackers are hard to find. Seravy has been hacking up a new v1.5 of Master of Magic, Simtex's other game, but I don't think he's interested in MoO.

Of course I heard that most other EXE hackers are dead... only kyrub or Seravy are available and alive and available. Unfortunately, dead hackers are never available.

I also have some ideas / suggestions for the original Master Of Orion; and no skills to implement them

And here is another place when one can download this patch: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=2472...9708330930

I think a balance patch would definitely need to include a swap of the tech levels of hand lasers and gatling laser. Hand lasers is always the no-brainer choice as of now, assuming one gets a choice. Ideally, it would go:

Tech level 3: Gatling laser
Tech level 4: Hyper-V rockets
Tech level 5: Hand lasers

And arguably a slight bump up in tech level for the godly neutron pellet gun is called for. The second tier should really be:

Tech level 7: Hyper-X rockets
Tech level 8: NPG
Tech level 9: Fusion bomb
Tech level 10: Ion cannon

And then for the third rung: ion rifle and merculite missiles should be swapped. Mercs aren't a huge improvement over Hyper-X (8 -> 10, or 25% increase), while Stingers are a very very strong improvement over mercs (10 -> 15, or 50% increase). And yet, there are currently more levels (6) separating Hyper-X from mercs than there are (4) separating mercs from Stingers.

Also, I would overhaul the propulsion tech three. Better engine tech makes such a bigger difference than better range tech, in my experience. Especially the bump up from retro to nuclear engines (half travel time and 2 moves in combat is HUGE!), and the bump up from nuclear engines to sub-light engines (double transport speed is huge, either when invading or even when colonizing new planets. It makes a big difference for the growth curve).

So, I think nuclear engines ought to be tech level 9, and maybe make irridium cells (range 6) tech level 8.

For the next rung, I would swap sub-light drives and dotomite crystals, and then the rung after that I would swap fusion drives and Uridium cells. After that, the propulsion tech tree starts to make sense, with the better engine tech at each level more expensive than the range extensions.

I know all of these proposed changes would be controversial, and anyways it is all probably moot because there probably won't be any balance patches made for this ancient game at this point, but if I had my ideal world where I knew how to code, this is something I would tweak in MoO1.
But

(November 4th, 2016, 17:43)Psillycyber Wrote: I think a balance patch would definitely need to include a swap of the tech levels of hand lasers and gatling laser. 

Changing technology levels requires more coding skill.
But you can quite easily change the power of any weapon in the game. Speed of missiles, damage, extra aiming bonus etc. This is very easy for everybody with a Hex editor.
kyrub