For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Mod Policy

Since we have a lot of new players here with the MP activity, I think it's an appropriate time to remind and clarify the policy on game modifications for RB single player events.

Only approved mods may be used for official events. This does not include BUG, see this thread for discussion. Any game for which an unapproved mod is used is not eligible for official scoring and results. We strongly urge players to play the standard game.

Although we won't stop you from playing and reporting a shadow game with your own mods, please do not intentionally do so. Fragmentation of the game and player base is one of the worst things that can happen to our community. This happened before, in the era of vanilla Civ 1.61, when we had some players using an unofficial bugfix patch and some players using a better-AI patch and some players still on the standard game. We lost the common basis of comparison across games, which is the heart of our reporting style.

Approved RB mods tend to be simple graphical changes for aesthetic purposes, and rarely minor interface or informational changes. We have an official list, but that is long out of date. To my knowledge, the following list of approved mods is complete:

Civ4Theme_Common.thm for custom fonts and colors

CIV4DetailManager.txt for certain camera controls

Simple Clock Mod, essentially superseded as BTS includes a standard clock anyway

Blue Marble - this was in 2006, is there a newer version?

Plot List Unit Information

Field of View slider

Occasionally, an event such as Adventure 41 and 43 may use an event-specific mod. Finally, to keep things to manageable complexity, we don't deal in piecemeal approval of complex mods like BUG or CivScale. If you want one particular feature, the right thing to do is extract it to a standalone mod like Ruff_Hi did for the Field of View slider.

Since this is about mods, is it possible to use BUG in a pitboss game without everyone using it?

Jowy Wrote:Since this is about mods, is it possible to use BUG in a pitboss game without everyone using it?
BUG is too awesome. That's why it has been banned from RB competitions. If one person uses it, everyone has to use it, otherwise they get too big of an advantage.

The standard UI is really bad in CIV, huh? frown

"There is no wealth like knowledge. No poverty like ignorance."

Jowy Wrote:Since this is about mods, is it possible to use BUG in a pitboss game without everyone using it?
No - if one person wants to play using a mod in MP, everyone has to use it.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

T-hawk Wrote:Blue Marble - this was in 2006, is there a newer version?
There is a newer version (v3) that was never pushed through the official RB approval process. To the best of my knowledge, the main differences were making the interface gold, some leaderhead changes and some slight tile modifications.

Honestly, it is very hard to tell v3 apart from the official RB version.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Honestly, how can you play without BlueMarble? smile Ruff is correct - the new version just changed minor stuff, but the terrain sure looks a little different (brighter) than the old one.

And in MP, graphical mods like BlueMarble can be played without everyone else having to use them due to just changing the graphics client-side. As soon as a mod modifies XML, Python or the DLL everyone has to use it in order for the game to not go OOS or displaying a *MOD* tag in front of the player name.