I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Master of Magic unofficial patch (latest version)

Since I am now a moderator, I have taken the liberty to fix the Insecticide link in the first post of this thread.
--I like ILSe

Good thinking, thanks!

Hi guys, first off, thanks a lot for making this great game even greater smile

Question 1
I've noticed a feature that should not exist according to the standard manuals, and is neither listed in the insecticide change log. Towns placed on a river, not a river mouth, but adjacent to shore still get +30% gold bonus, even though they are not on a river mouth. Moreover, when you examine the terrain with F1 it tells you:
1) Terrain produces +20% gold as a river.
2) The city will have +30% gold because of adjacent shore.

I totally think that this is the way it should be, but just curious why it isn't documented anywhere (anywhere being manuals, change log, MoM Wiki). Was it some official patch that fixed it? Just in case, I attached a save game where I have two towns placed not on river mouths that have +30% gold.

On a side note. With this in mind, could we remove river mouths entirely from the game? They are just confusing if the +30% bonus works regardless of river mouths. Just make them plain rivers with +20% bonus, otherwise it feels that maybe a town on a river mouth adjacent to shore should give 30% + 10% or something... do you know what I'm saying? Not a big deal though, most likely it's just me being a perfectionist.

Question 2
Upgradeable town structures such as Marketplace and Shrine, once upgraded, give cumulative bonus, while depicting only the last bonus in the town view. What I mean is, a Bank gives total +100% gold, but it still says +50% in the city view (and the Marketplace is no longer visible). It creates a feeling that your bonus is just +50%, not +100%, and I've spent an hour double-checking all my cities to see if upgrades to Shrines and Marketplaces give cumulative boni or not. Would be nice if we could make upgraded structures depict the total bonus smile

Question 3
With roughly 5-10% chance during the map generation phase (beginning of the game) the game freezes and should be restarted (by freezes I mean the game stops generating the map, ESC doesn't work, but the mouse cursor still operates). Do we know why? What I know is that it always happens when the loading bar is just below the "L" in "worLd" lol If you knew what generation stage occurs below the "L", you would know where it freezes smile (just a wild guess)

Or is it my problem?

Interface:
1) Could we remove empty boxes in the settings? (former save and load, I presume)
2) Could we depict 0 Fame? I was running around in panic thinking that there's no such thing as fame anymore before I found that it's just 0 that isn't displayed for some reason. It would also show that there's no negative fame, because if it's just nothing a newbie isn't sure whether it's 0 or negative (or positive, or there's no such thing, for that matter).

Cheers

Attached Files
.gam   SAVE9.GAM (Size: 120.41 KB / Downloads: 0)

(August 17th, 2013, 15:35)kyrub Wrote: I told Nathan to make it public or semi-public and I hope he opens a way for it. Without a discussion, the list is useless.
Was the list made public since then?

Much thanks for this patch! bow I've noticed far fewer problems than with 1.31. The game doesn't seem too much - if any - harder, except with extra monsters and raiders turned on. As others have mentioned, some fights are actually easier because of how enemy units now often single-mindedly chase a single target. (On the other hand, some fights get harder because of this.) Enemy spellcasting does generally seem a little scarier. I love seeing opposing heroes decked out with items.

Thank you for the insecticide patch Kyrub, I'm playing it for quite some time by now and finally decided to create an account to say thank you because, karma I think ^^

I just noticed a few bugs (MoM's spirit lol) and it seems you are awared of them and you quit working on fixing them because of negative feedback (and that sucks since your work is great).

My question is this one though, does 1.40n have to be stack on top of 1.31 or it is designed to be installed on a clean vanilla mom?

(I've tried both, and I have some bugs in both case so don't really know what is the best set up).

All in all, if insectide manage to get rid of all the bugs without modding the game (balance fix) it would be great since it will permit modder to have a solid patch to create mods (balance fix) that MoM needs.

PS: thanks to all modders smile

I registered just to ask this question. Why did you mess with chaos channels? It used to be a staple spell and now that you cannot enchant anything along side it, it's difficult to justify using chaos channels which highly divides two other decent enchantments in the chaos tree away from it let alone every other damned spell in the game aside from chaos surge. As soon as I realized this, chaos lost a lot of appeal. What am I missing?

Presumably it's because he was fixing bugs, and being able to cast normal unit enchantments on units with chaos channels is a bug.

I actually don't think it was a bug in the first place. Fantastic unit classification is largely a penalty that comes with power. Chaos channels is a strong enchantment but it's random which bonus you get and the unit is now vulnerable to anti chaos magic. Flight (rare spell in in sorcery), demonskin armor (holy armor is +2 and common in white and ironskin is rare but gives +5), and fire breath (usually dislike this one the most but it can be useful on some). I think this enchantment was very intentionally designed to maintain some properties of being a normal unit while being a fantastic creature as well. It was clearly done to synergize with Chaos Surge, but that's not much different than casting flame blade on all your units. There are much stronger enchantments in the game.

I like this patch, but this change seems like a mistake.

(July 13th, 2014, 14:08)Hellglory79 Wrote: I actually don't think it was a bug in the first place.
It only works overland, so at least one of those behaviors (not working in combat, working overland) is not intended. Since if they didn't want chaos channeled units to be treated as fantastic, they could have just made them non-fantastic, the bug is probably the overland casting.