For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Master of Magic unofficial patch (latest version)

Suggestions:
1. Orc Halberdiers should have negate first strike and Orc Calvary should have first strike just like all the other races. There's no good reason why they should be straight up weaker than other races. Even if you want to consider them a throwaway race, which I don't because I like playing Death, their other units can already be considered weaker (Shaman vs. Priest, Halberdier vs. Pikemen, 4 figure Magician vs. 6 figure Magician).

2. This has already been discussed so I'm just adding my vote. Enemy AI bypasses adjacent figures to attack weak enemies in the back. This is not an improvement in most cases as I would usually take heavier losses if they just attacked what they were near and it is exploitable. I believe this also causes enemies within a wall to cease attacking almost completely sometimes because there is a weakened figure outside the wall which they can't even move towards. I'd like a revert or to change this behavior, for example, to only apply to some ranged units or invisible/flying units.

I just finished another game. This time as Lo'pan I got squashed between Tauron and Kali.
My mistake was to leave my large hell hound stack idle while waiting for a hero that never came (to get the experience points of a wizardry tower crowded with enemies) instead of guarding cities. There was so much forest on this map I wished I had war bears instead of hell hounds.

I was driven back across the lands to a single remaining city which I spent many turns fortifying and garrisoning against waves of attacks while the remaining wizards fought over the rest of Arcanus. Luckily I had earlier sent a small expeditionary force through a wizard tower. With some reloading they managed to secure a foothold on Myyror and from there I built many more cities colonizing 2 of the 3 continents down there.

Once I had got an economy going (gold, food, mana etc) from those cities I then started capturing cities on Arcanus with flying paladins, chaos channeled dragon turtles and high powered heroes. I learned to rush build a priest/shaman on the same turn as you capture a city. This lets your capturing units recover their health and attack a new city on the very next turn. It is expensive though; a dark elf priest cost 800 gold to instabuild.

It was a rough game. I got banished three times, Sharee cast armageddon and tore up the landscape with volcanoes, and Tauron's meteor storm kept destroying my town buildings. If a building is destroyed it also destroys any buildings that have it as a pre-requisite. Worst case scenario is a fully built orc city that loses its builder's hall and twenty other buildings.

The last wizard to fall was Kali. She was the one who had originally warred me with her wraiths and brought me down from a budding empire to a lone citadel barely holding on with its back against the cliffs. She was finally destroyed by a suprise attack of adamantium hammerhands who busted through the wizard tower right next to her capital.

The game concluded in January 1446. I usually finish by 1420.

I found some more bugs too:

The surveyor doesn't count wild game when displaying the max city size of a tile until after a settlement is established.
If you point to an empty tile with a wild game tile nearby and it says 12 max pop; when you build an outpost there the surveyor will say 14 max pop.

Chancellor reports are not stored in the save file.
The chancellor recalls certain events that happen at the beggining of each turn such as city growth. If you save the game and then reload the game to the same turn the chancellor will be blank.

Chain mail and plate mail that you don't make yourself(treasure, merchant, killed AI hero, gift of gods event) don't give their innate +1 and +2 def bonus they're supposed to have.

Dwarf settlers don't have mountaineer even though High elf settlers have forester.

When a city is captured each building has a 10% chance to be destroyed. For neutral cities this chance is 50%.
Why would troops be so much more ravaging to a town just because it isn't owned by a wizard?

Magic items from lairs have nonsensical spellbook requirements.
It doesn't make sense that magic items guarded by monsters are affected by what books you choose. These items are supposed to be relics from forgotten times made by wizards vanished ages ago. It's not even implemented properly. No item ever requires death books even if they have death powers. Many items have impossible book requirements so can only be gotten from merchants.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

(November 4th, 2014, 22:44)Rakir Wrote: Magic items from lairs have nonsensical spellbook requirements.

See http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=6877

I have an idea for the next patch Kyrub.

Put a readout of the current turn (out of 50) during combat. You can delete the auto-battle button and put this timer in its place.

(March 3rd, 2015, 22:02)Rakir Wrote: Put a readout of the current turn (out of 50) during combat. You can delete the auto-battle button and put this timer in its place.
An important issue, although I would not get rid of the Auto button, I need it for AI testing.
Not sure if the "Xth turn" makes to the next patch since little time left and I've been working on one even more pressing interface issue. But I bet you'll be content if I succeed. wink

Preview...
cool

First in queue? Tease! Next you'll say that leftover production gets applied to the next task in the queue.

(March 5th, 2015, 04:25)Anthony Wrote: First in queue? Tease! Next you'll say that leftover production gets applied to the next task in the queue.

That was dones ages ago. All you need to do is to seek or to ask.
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=4575
(Catnip had a good bunch of improvements, in my opinion.)

Some missing in MOM that is present in other 4X is the ability to rename captured cities. Is it possible to implement this?