I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Like a hot wind Varn Gosam of the Malakim [SPOILERS]

This will be my spoiler thread for the game. If you are playing in FFH PBEM3 GO AWAY (until the game is over)

Obligatory spoiler space filler:

Traditional Dwarven drinking song lyrics:

Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!

Now that the obligatory first post anti-spoiler nonsense is out of the way.....our cast of characters:

Quote:Mr. Yellow gets Sabathiel of the Bannor.
Irgy gets Tebryn Arbandi of the Sheaim.
WarriorKnight gets Einion Logos of the Elohim.
Mardoc gets Hannah the Irin of the Lanun.
Nyktorion gets Thessa of the Ljosalfar.
Thoth gets Varn Gosam of the Malakim.

I'll post later with my thoughts on the leader/civ choices (after I've spent some time in the civilopedia wink )

Quote:Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!
Gold!

So... going for Runes of Kilmorph then?

It's definitely a possiblity. Rok is a great early religion to get...+1g per city and access to Soldiers of Klimorph. Earth Manna from the shrine is so-so but fills a hole in my Mana. Depending on the map, I may research RoK and bulb OO with a prophet (water mana with a desert start is a godsend).

OTOH, with the Sheam in the game I may need to beeline HBR to deal with stacks of exploding pyre zombies.

Go Camel Archers!

So I fully inteded to get some thoughts written up, but then I started up FFH to try out a couple of openings and then I downloaded FFH Adventure 2 and just had to give it a whirl....so I've gotten nothing done in the way of actual content.

In the meantime,

Anyone heard any good jokes lately? smile

Well, now that we are underway, it's about time I got some updates in here.

1st off, I'll go though each civ/player (broad outlines for the moment, but I'll edit in some more details/thoughts as I get the time.

My own pick:

Varn Gosam of Malakim.

Leader Traits: Creative (adaptive)/ Spiritual.

Civ Traits: Nomad (double move in desert, +20% desert combat strength, +1 commerce from desert/floodplains tiles)

Unique Building: Desert Shrine: +1 happy with incence, 1 priest slot, +2 exp for disciple units (replaces Pagan Temple, is available with Mysticism)

Hero: Teutorix (st 12, mv 2, +1 overcouncil votes, 30% defensive strike chance available with Gunpowder)

Worldspell: Religious Fervour (creates 1 priest of your state religion in each of your cities with 1 exp/city that has your state religion)

UU: Lightbringer (st 2, move 1, starts with sentry, disciple unit. Available at game start.)
Camel Archer (replaces Horse Archer, same stats but is resourceless. Requires a Stable to build/upgrade to)

Lightbringers suck as a unit. Same strength and movement as a scout, but without the scout's ability to see invisible animals or the scout's +50% bonus vs animals. Early game this means that the starting Lightbringer (the Malakim get a LB instead of a scout) has the life expectancy of a soggy tissue in a hurricane.

They have their uses however. They can upgrade to disciples of any religion (provided that they are within the city radius of a city with the temple of that religion). Doesn't sound very exciting does it?
But there is a catch. Lightbringers can also upgrade to anything that a disciple type unit can upgrade to without having access to the religion. This makes them a whole lot more interesting. Especially when combined with the UB (+2 exp to disciple units) and a couple of tiers of the Altar of the Luonatarr (+2 expt to disciple units per tier) and/or some exp boosting civics/buildings/wonders.)

Disciples of Leaves can upgrade to Rangers-->Upgrading a lightbringer to a Ranger gives a Ranger with Mobility 1 + sentry and extra exp. Make for excellent scouts (with the Sentry 2 promotion). Requires Animal Handling tech and a Hunting Lodge)

Savants (Ashen Veil disciples) can upgrade to Mages at level 4. --->Level 4 Lightbringers can upgrade to Mages, giving a Mage with mobility and potency.
80 g for an insta-mage with extra exp gain? Nice. (Requires Sorcery tech + Mage Guild)

With Fanatacism, the appropriate religion and a temple of that religion, LBs can upgrade to Paramanders/Crusaders/Stygian Guards.

If there is one word to describe Varn, it's "flexible". The spiritual trait lets me adjust civics every 10 turns and religions every 5 turns. Adaptive means I can pick a new trait every 70 turns. His major drawback is that the "cool stuff" lies all over the tech tree and it's easy to loose focus. FFH's tech tree is set up so that focusing on one area of the tech tree is usually the best play.

The other players:

Mr. Yellow as Sabathiel of the Bannor.

Traits: Charismatic (+1 happy/city, cheap exp) Organized (1/2 price courthouses and lighthouses, 50% Civic Maintenance)
Starting Tech: Exploration
Worldspell: Rally (creates a Demogog unit in every city and on every Town (reduces Town to village). Requires the Crusade Civic

Irgy as Tebryn Arbandi of the Sheaim.

Traits: Arcane (cheap Mage Guilds, Arcane units gain exp faster) Summoner: Summoned units last +1 turn, Grants summoner promotion to Arcane units.
The Summoner promotion gives Combat 1 to all summoned units)
Starting Tech: Ancient Chants
Worldspell: Worldbreak. Causes damage in all Non Sheam lands (amount based on the AC)

WarriorKnight as Einion Logos of the Elohim.

Traits: Creative (+2 culture/city cheap Monuments and Carnivals), Defender (cheap walls, pallisades and Archery Ranges, Free Homeland promotion for all
units)
Starting Tech: Ancient Chants
Worldspell: Sanctuary (removes all non-Elohim units from Elohim lands a keeps them out for 20 (Quick speed) turns)

Mardoc as Hannah the Irin of the Lanun.

Traits: Financial (+1 commerce on 2+ commerce plots, cheaper markets and money changers), Raiders (double pillage gold, Free Commando promotion on living units)
Starting Tech: Seafaring
Worldspell: Raging Seas (damages all Non Lanun units adjacent to Coast/Ocean/Lake tiles.)

Nyktorion as Thessa of the Ljosalfar.

Traits: Expansive (+3 health in all cities, +100% hammer production on Settlers, cheaper granaries), Arcane
Starting Tech: Exploration
Worldspell: March of the Trees (creates a temporary Ent on each forest/ancient forest tile in Ljoslfar borders. The Ents last for 5 turns and the forest/Ancient forest is reduced to a New Forest)

We have two civs that start with Exploration (allows road building, prerequisite for Fishing, Cartography and Hunting)

1 that starts with Seafaring (+1 naval movement, reveals Pearls, prerequisite for Fishing, unique tech for the Lanun)

and 3 that start with Ancient Chants (allows Monument, prerequisite for Education and Mysticism)

Finally got the save, and this is what I saw:

[Image: startposition.jpg]

Oodles of Floodplains (food + bonus commerce) which is good, but there seems to be a distinct lack of hammers which is definitely NOT good. We've got the usual start units for the Malakim (LB, warrior and Starting Settler). The Starting Settler has 4 movement points and +3 visibility, so I have some options on where to settle.

Looking at the scores/Demographics everyone except WarriorKnight settled on turn 0. My guess is that we all have a PH in range to settle on Turn 1 (the second turn we play.....Civ starts at turn 0). I'm tempted to settle on it (2H base tile plus defensive bonus), but I really don't want to loose a turn on Quick speed. I moved the warrior 2 sw across the desert which didn't reveal anything interesting (I'll pop the hut next turn, it's close enough to the start location to be safe). The lightbringer moved NE onto the Wheat which revealed a grasshill with a barrow on it. (forgot to grab a screenie at this point rolleye )

After some head scratching and a trip outside for a smoke, I decided 2 N is probably my best bet. It picks up the PH, the PH sheep, the Wheat (unirrigated), 6 floodplains and some forest (handy for the health). By settling on the Floodplain, it turns into desert (-25% defence penalty) but this is (mostly) offset by the Nomad +20% desert combat ability. I'll also have a 2 commerce centre tile. Not as strong as a 2H tile, but better than a slap in the head with a dead fish.

The capital after settling:
[Image: settled.jpg]

Hmmm, looks like I could have done a better job with the image cutting a pasting.....duh

Score shows 1203 land tiles. According to the Settings tab, we're on a standard sized map so we're looking at around 50% water tiles.

[Image: settingsk.jpg][/url]

Opening builds/tech path:

I've decided to go with a delayed worker opening for a couple of reasons.
1) Early commerce. Each of those floodplain tiles is a 3F 2C tile before improvements. Growing a pop point or two will do wonders for my early reasearch.
2) Scouting/defence: The barrow to my east is going to tie up a unit until I can pop it (barrows won't generate barbs if there is a unit on top)
3) God King. This civic grants a 50% bonus to hammers and gold. The hammer bonus will compensate for the lost worker turns (it turns a 1f/2H plains forest into a 1f/3h tile, as good as a grass hill mine.)

Plan: Grow to size 4 (my current health cap) while teching Mystism, and building two warriors. I should hit size 4 about the same time as Myst comes in (turn 13). Then pop out a quick 4 turn worker while teching to Agriculture and Calendar (for the Agrarianism civic). Grow to size 5 on warriors (plus possibly a scout depending on what exploration shows to the north).

Why a scout? Because there are forests to the north which spawn invisible str 5 spiders. Getting a warrior or two munched by something they can't see would put a nasty crimp in my plans. =)

Once Calendar is in, I'll like head through Crafting to Mining so I can mine the PH and find out what the copper situation is.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Pagan temple up in the capital after the first settler so I can run a priest to bulb RoK, but that will depend on how things unfold in game.

Demographics at the end of my turn:

[Image: endofturndemographics.jpg][/url]

There's a couple of interesting things that jump out at me:

Rival average food and rival best GNP.

After running a few possibilities around, it looks like the Lanun are researching Fishing while working a riverside incense. 12 base commerce + 20% for a pre-requisite + 2 for palace culture. It would also account for the extra hammer and the food deficit. jive They are likely building a warrior/scout and will start pumping workboats to get some pirate coves in play once Fishing is in.
Fishing is 160 b. @14 bpt = turn 12. He could have 36h = two warriors + 4 h extra. I expect he'll micro things so that the 2nd warrior finishes on turn 12. If he's got a 3 F tile, it should be possible to micro things so that he grows to size 2 at the same time, allowing him to build WBs while working his two best hammer tiles (assuming that the starts are somewhat similar, I would expect a plains forest or two and/or a plains sheep for 6h/turn. If his micro is good he should be able to produce a WB on turn 15 and either net seafood/pearls or build a cove)
Option 2: Build worker. @3h/1f per turn it would finish on turn 13 and have absolutely nothing to do unless he gets lucky with a hut pop. Doesn't seem like a good choice.

The rival average of 11 GNP plus average crop yields of 3 would suggest that everyone else is working a flood plain and are not built on plains hills (avg mfg goods of 1). Someone is researching a tech with a pre-requisite (otherwise rival avg would be 10....I think. I don't know if fractions are rounded or truncated. I suspect truncated, just about everything else in Civ gets truncated rather than rounded).

Possibilities:

1) The Sheam are teching Mysticism. A decent opening for them, it would allow them to build an elder council, run a scientist and bulb KoTE early.

2) The Ljosafar are teching either fishing or hunting. Possible, but unlikely. Hunting is a 460 beaker tech. He'd be looking at about turn 30 to get his first tech and would have no way of improving his tile yields until then. Fishing? unlikely. The health numbers in the demographics screen suggest someone has a well forested start. I doubt that it's the Lanun. wink

3) The Bannor are teching either fishing or hunting. Hunting would be an even bigger smoke for the Bannor than the Ljos. Fishing is possible, but unlikely.

4) I've misread the demographics and everyone is teching Agriculture or Crafting.

My best guess is that the Sheam are teching Myst and the Bannor and Ljos are teching Ag (and building workers)