Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Balseraphs: A Guide to Mis-Management (by Kyan and TT)

May i introduce you please to your host for today.

Your proud leader and all round good looking gentleman:

[Image: clown1.jpg]

Some people have pets, i have TT:

[Image: clown2.gif]

So... why balseraphs? Why not Calabim, Lanun or Malakim? All seem pretty damned powerful!

...and that's exactly why they weren't chosen. Me and TT scoured the Fall From Heaven databases looking up the various civs with one objective and one objective only in mind: which has the most unique features that look fun?

Our choice became obvious immediately. I don't care that every one of their units is weaker than the original version, that makes things more interesting. If you've joined this thread to read how to optimally play this civ, i suggest you go elsewhere. The next obvious question, at least in my mind is why the hell wasn't Perpentach chosen then?

Well, Keelyn was my one 'sensible' moment. I kinda regret it already but c'est la vie. The summoner trait means i can have two puppets out at a time- once i get twincast on someone, i can have four puppets at a time.

Balseraphs have access to Chaos mana thanks to their palace. The chaos 3 spell is wonder which causes 3-5 random spell effects in one turn. Well, i intend to have four puppets doing this at my enemies forces... per archmage. 12-20 spell effects per turn is madness. A good kind of madness. Magic to me is the greatest change made in this game and i want to investigate it fully, what better way than to go batshit crazy with deformed wobbly-head looking puppets of doom?

Ch-ch-checking in!

[Image: Johnathan_Powers_(Earth-616)_0001.gif]

Looking forward to seeing Keelyn in action (again!)! I hear that she's starting to mature into quite a lovely young lady...

[Image: 91135-2579-harley-quinn_super.jpg]

Yet she remains as dainty as ever-

[Image: tumblr_lha3sx4ShZ1qbn0qxo1_400.jpg]

Oh yes.

Ahem. I'm sure I'll have more to add after you add some more and also the game starts. We've already discussed plenty of general stuff in chats, anyway smile

Actually, to clarify how puppets work a little-

Quote:The chaos 3 spell is wonder which causes 3-5 random spell effects in one turn. Well, i intend to have four puppets doing this at my enemies forces... per archmage. 12-20 spell effects per turn is madness.

It's both worse and better than this. Worse because regular archmages can only have two puppets out at one time; they're still (mostly) twice as good as regular archmages that way, but not quite as awesome as you describe. But for a twincast (heroic) archmage, it's actually better than you have it, because each of those four puppets is a twincaster itself, meaning that you can cast Wonder eight times a turn, for a grand total of 24-40 random effects. Which is pretty awesome- if you can get the exp (and caster).

Kyan Wrote:A good kind of madness. Magic to me is the greatest change made in this game and i want to investigate it fully, [SIZE="4"]what better way than to go batshit crazy with deformed wobbly-head looking puppets of doom?[/SIZE]

Quoted for the best Summery of "how to have fun playing the Balseraphs" ever!

A good fun start to the thread! I find myself now spoilt for the game as I offered to try and rush a map through. As soon as I get a thumbs up from the balancer feedback people expect your starting position picture!

I look forward to your future Craziness!

Bobchillingworth Wrote:Actually, to clarify how puppets work a little-

It's both worse and better than this. Worse because regular archmages can only have two puppets out at one time; they're still (mostly) twice as good as regular archmages that way, but not quite as awesome as you describe. But for a twincast (heroic) archmage, it's actually better than you have it, because each of those four puppets is a twincaster itself, meaning that you can cast Wonder eight times a turn, for a grand total of 24-40 random effects. Which is pretty awesome- if you can get the exp (and caster).

Heh. Still not quite right: twincast only works for summons. So the four puppets could summon eight fire elementals, but only cast four Wonder spells. Not sure what happens if one of the puppets casts Wonder and the dice roll results in a summons (one quick code dive later: I think it will summon two of the selected unit).

[Image: civ4screenshot0200.jpg]

The Map needs some double checking and editing for turn order but for now, ENJOY!

Quick thoughts are that it looks very interesting. Thank you Ravus.

Settle in place gains the hammer so i guess will probly be the best option. Scout should likely go N-NW to start?

Kyan Wrote:Quick thoughts are that it looks very interesting.

As in the Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times"?

An ideal FfH start has:

1) One or more high-commerce Calendar resources.
2) A grain resource.
3) A river.
4) A plains hill city site.
5) No water tiles (unless you're Lanun).
6) No desert tiles.

The current position has one flood plain, so half credit on #2. Lots of river tiles, one desert, very little commerce. Commerce is absolutely key in early FfH; the techs are expensive, and you have to build lots of warriors to protect your cities from barbs and replace your dead explorers. Animal Husbandry and Hunting should normally not be among the first five techs you research.

Your settler seems to lack the starting settler bonus for extra movement and visibility, so your options are somewhat limited. Your current position is fair to poor, but if something better doesn't appear in the fog, settling in place is better than many turns of nomadic wandering.

Thanks for the input. There's not a lot to say until i can get a better look with the scout. However, what are the 'mini trees' ? I know there is a shrub terrain now, is this what it looks like?

I'm inclined to just settle unless i can find something brilliant immediately in the fog.