For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Path of Exile

(July 24th, 2016, 06:33)Miguelito Wrote: Thanks for the advice Nico

Definitely I'm still having a health problem, that's what I'm trying to work on with the next 15 or so skill points and what I want to focus on gearwise. So suddenly, I have a huge (for my terms) amount of currency in my hands and I'm not quite sure what to spend it on. For the while being, I have chest, weapon and boots (yep, not stepping away from those nope , see below) assigned,. I don't know of any uniques of the other gear types that really boost survivability ( probably just badly informed) besides the aforementioned Brunner of rain which is a dumb idea most probably. So maybe I should start looking on poe.trade for rares, but that sounds tedious... What's would you look for besides life and armour? Resists are not really an issue atm, they're near maces out and the rest is done with charges. Maybe I'll even look for good jewels, do you know if it's possible to get survivability that way?

Purity of lightning I'm just leveling because excess blue slot and maybe some day (merc dominus?) I could use the + Mac resist)

... More to follow

I would not rely on stacking endurance charges for capping resists. It's too easy for them to drop off, or get removed by a Nullifier nemesis monster, or get 1hko when you first enter a map. Plus, you have the wrong ascendancy class for an endurance charge stacker: you would otherwise want to become a Juggernaut. So yeah, cap your resists with gear, and stack as much life and strength as possible. Prioritise life on your tree over "increased" damage, because they scale linearly, each point counts less towards your total damage the more of them you have.

For melee, there are a few good ways to get defences. One is stacking armour: Juggernaut is really good at that, and it scales quite well with currency investment. Another is to get a Kaom's Heart for a ton of EHP. Another is to get a lightning coil, which effectively acts as 22.5% less physical damage taken, the downside is that it gives -60% lightning resist, which means you need to make up for that with rest of your gear. Luckily, 2-handed melee can get away with wearing tons of rares with high resists on all their slots.

(July 24th, 2016, 06:45)Dp101 Wrote: Does anyone here have any suggestions to help with getting bored during the levelling process? It feels like every league I see a build and decide to go for it, but either get bored during normal where everything is slow and boring, or lose focus during the endless trudge through late cruel difficulty. How do you guys make playing through the same game 3 times with a half finished build with terrible slow movement abilities until the endgame fun?

I like to grab tons of twink gear, and buy occasionally buy rare upgrades. And there are some super strong levelling skills, like wideswing --> geofri's baptism --> cauteriser for 2-handed melee, or a tabula with any good spell (like bladefall mines, or firestorm). Grab multiple quicksilver flasks and speed through packs, only stopping to kill big packs and magic packs. You can make up the levels later.

(July 24th, 2016, 06:33)Miguelito Wrote: Thanks for the advice Nico

Definitely I'm still having a health problem, that's what I'm trying to work on with the next 15 or so skill points and what I want to focus on gearwise. So suddenly, I have a huge (for my terms) amount of currency in my hands and I'm not quite sure what to spend it on. For the while being, I have chest, weapon and boots (yep, not stepping away from those nope , see below) assigned,. I don't know of any uniques of the other gear types that really boost survivability ( probably just badly informed) besides the aforementioned Brunner of rain which is a dumb idea most probably. So maybe I should start looking on poe.trade for rares, but that sounds tedious... What's would you look for besides life and armour? Resists are not really an issue atm, they're near maces out and the rest is done with charges. Maybe I'll even look for good jewels, do you know if it's possible to get survivability that way?

Purity of lightning I'm just leveling because excess blue slot and maybe some day (merc dominus?) I could use the + Mac resist)

... More to follow

I would definitely want to have my resists capped without charges. No matter how reliable your generation is, you're going to be without them some times because of game situation (for example, if you're running WM if you fight a boss who doesn't summon a ton of adds like Piety, she's going to be getting you without charges most of the time and with all that elemental damage...) and basically you cannot reliably survive past a certain point without capped resists.

Rare valuation is one of the last skills to come to a PoE player - even to this day I'm certain I occasionally vendor something I could get very nice cash for. But basically, you want high life and resistances to start out. Then you add in things like attributes to allow you to use all of your gear/gems, and if you're doing well otherwise the key offensive stats on various gear slots:

Boots: Movement speed
Gloves: Attack speed
Rings: Flat damage boosts, weapon elemental damage
Amulets: Flat damage boosts, crit multiplier if a crit build, weapon elemental damage
Belts: Weapon elemental damage, flask charges gained

That's just basic and its different stuff for spellcasters. In your situation, if I were playing your character I'd probably be looking for replacements for all your jewelry and boots. That sapphire is a nice dps ring but as Nicolae said, playing a melee marauder with less than 5k health is basically suicide. Jewelry is one of the most expensive spots to upgrade so that might be easier said. Maybe mastercraft life onto the ring at a minimum, if I'm reading it right there is an open suffix. I think the cheapest way there probably is precisely that - mastercraft the highest tier life you can onto the sapphire and then just open poe.trade and find the best pair of boots you can afford with >+75 life and 30% movement speed.

Additionally, I'd probably drop all those extra links on the flame golem and run Leap Slam+Faster Attacks (you can also run Fortify on it to both give your golem fortify and allow you to put a dps gem back on your main skill - only do this if you think you have the discipline to make sure you keep fortify up with leap slam, though.)

I also think Ice Crash might be better for you at this point than Molten Strike but swapping main skills can be tricky - the most important part here is that you're having fun doing what you're doing.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

So about molten strike, when I initially planned for the build I already was aware about its awkward property of dealing both melee and projectile damage. Up till now, i haven't really had a problem killing things if I survived the initial strikes, but that might be more sure to the 5L Marohi being awesome and is in fact already fading out. Alternatives are internal blow, which IMO deals too little for (don't want melee splash) or ice crash with cold to fire. The downside I see to the latter is that I'd have to give up one of the support gems which are all very strong, else it fits really well, also considering that the slow, heavy strikes go will with igniting things. Gonna give it a try next time I get to play, up till now I mostly didn't do it because I was lazy to buy the cold to fire gem rolleye
Igniting is quite important for me I feel as per ascendancy I deal a good amount of increased damage against burning things. Herald of ash does a good part of that, but against bosses i don't want to rely on killing summons close by all the time. Plus I really like it thematically so not gonna drop it. I might let loose of the ring though. The boots I'm enjoying too much if nothing else then for the looks nod
I'm also aware that I'm not benefiting of the physical damage leech at lust for carnage. I took the cluster because I was feeling that with 3%life leech between warlord's mark and the ascendancy skill, I wanted to improve leech rate, but it was by gut feel and actually I was already thinking it's probably not worth it. Oh well, got a ton of respec still.
The blinding flame golem was an awesome idea, not gonna be convinced otherwise nope
I did use leap slam a lot in the beginning, then switched to flame dash mainly for theme reasons, though leap slam felt easier to handle. I don't think I'll reliably do a leap slam every four seconds for fortify, so it'll have to stay with the main attack I fear (actually, it would be interesting to set internal blow+ fortify+ faster attacks+ something on a 4L and use that every 4sec, as IMO you only need to have hit recently to cause the explosion).

Thanks a lot for the trading advice Gaspar, I'll keep you informed what I can make of it. And yes, I'm really enjoying playing the chieftain, but that's in a good part due to losses I got here, so i keep fishing for more smile

Personally I like being weak in normal, having to fight with suboptimal gear (that's also due to trade laziness ofc) experimenting with skills you just get from quests before getting to the final setup etc. But I probably still need >10h to reach cruel, and of course you want to do that only everySo about molten strike, when I initially planned for the build so often

OK, here it comes....

Path of Exile 3.0 is scheduled to release ~ 1600 EDT Today.  10 acts - from the beach to endgame.

I'm going to drop in and say path of exile is amazing. It's better than Diablo in every way I can think of to describe. But for some reason I still prefer Diablo 2, despite it being logically worse. I don't really understand that contradiction.

So yeah, path of exile is excellent.

Hey Nelphine - if you come up with an inspiration like "oh yeah, this is why I'm playing Diablo II and not Path of Exile", I'd like to hear it.

I've been thinking about this - need to put the words together, though.

I think it's because, while individually, each aspect is worse (less skill options, worse difficulty balance, worse story, less zones, worse loot balance, worse class balance, etc)

Let's restart.

Let's say there are 15 different aspects to the game (a sample list I started in the previous paragraph, but it doesn't matter what the exact aspects are NOR does it matter exactly how many there are. I will use 15 purely for the sake of discussion.)

In D2, each of those aspects was say an 8 out of 10. (Again it doesn't matter what they actually are, I'm just using this for illustrative purposes)

Now say in PoE, each of those aspects are 9.5 out of 10 (they might not be of course, but again the exact number doesn't matter).

But when we look at the overall feeling, when we rate the game based on the combination of all the parts, we see that PoE is still a 9.5 out of 10. It is an amazing game,and any individual aspect of the game is amazing.

But when we look at the same overall feeling in D2, when we look at the exact way that the speed of your character interacts with the differences in zones interacts with the drop chances and the difficulty balance and the class choices and ALL the other moving parts, well, even though each individual part is only an 8, D2 somehow got all of the EXACT right interactions, and got just the right feeling from the game overall.

And so D2 is ALSO, overall, a 9.5/10.

And then D2 has better nostalgia, plus D2 has that distinct feeling of the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts - and PoE is missing that. PoE is great in every way, but.. it's not somehow BETTER than every way it's great.

And so I choose D2 over PoE. Not all the time, and not forever, but more often than not, I choose D2 over PoE, despite how good PoE is.

Announcements at ExileCon 2019

Path of Exile 4.0  Path of Exile 2 Beta is currently scheduled for Late 2020 adding a new 7 act campaign set some 20 years after the original campaign (shared client, shared microtransactions, shared endgame, etc).

In the mean time, they are expecting to continue rolling out new challenge leagues -- 3.9 "Conquerors of the Atlas" in December (endgame rework) with the Metamorph (shape shifting?) challenge league; names for 3.10, 3.11 and 3.12 not yet announced.  They are going to be releasing the new game mechanics into these leagues, and upgrading the original campaign, as they go along.

Also, a port to Mac OS ("so that you can play at work"), and a mobile game based on the endgame content.

Demos at the conference include a partial act I play through on the second campaign, and demos of the mobile game