Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Buying a new Computer - Q&A

Option 2 sounds more than adequate to me. That's not a lot of storage space by today's standards: my hard drive footprint is smaller than that on all my machines, I think, but my son filled up 500 GB in a few months. So it's the ultimate YMMV situation. If you plan to haul around a large music library, a small video library, or a bunch of games, you'll run out of space pretty quickly.

(I was wondering after reading your specs post how you were getting >2TB on an SSD; I suspected it was a typo and feel vindicated to have that confirmed).

If the question is regarding playing Civ both look more than adequate. You're likely paying a bit of a premium in option 1 for the faster RAM type (and double the amount), upgraded cpu, and bigger (better? don't know the part) SSD. All of those upgrades will have performance impacts. I guess the question would be for your expected workload do you need the additional hardware resources (or want them), or is spending less on the laptop more important? That's how I would decide.

edit: xposted Dave

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(December 7th, 2015, 16:30)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Hard Drive 2256GB Solid State Drive M.2

(December 8th, 2015, 12:46)DaveV Wrote: (I was wondering after reading your specs post how you were getting >2TB on an SSD; I suspected it was a typo and feel vindicated to have that confirmed).

That is a typo. It should be ...
Hard Drive 2 .... 256GB Solid State Drive M.2

(December 8th, 2015, 12:46)DaveV Wrote: Option 2 sounds more than adequate to me. That's not a lot of storage space by today's standards

(December 8th, 2015, 13:19)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: If the question is regarding playing Civ both look more than adequate.

Thx for the feedback. This laptop won't be used very much (famous last words) so it doesn't need to be super powerful, etc. I will swing past BestBuy on the weekend and eyeball the various Lenovo offerings. I don't want one that will bug me from a look and feel point of view.

It almost has to be lenovo as my work is giving pretty good discounts on these at the moment.

Re data footprint - I have moved all of my data to my 14TB NAS so this laptop and my main desk top have a much smaller data requirement (512Gb for my desktop).
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.