Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

(October 24th, 2012, 05:01)mostly_harmless Wrote: Unfortunately it seems there is a bug in the game, as most of the bandits we encountered the second time where already killed by us the first time.
So legends actually report the Spearman that killed me as dead (by my own hands). There are two people saved under the same name.

It seems like this is a bug caused by leaving a location and then coming back http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantis...ug_id=5106

(October 24th, 2012, 05:10)Enoch Wrote:
(October 24th, 2012, 05:01)mostly_harmless Wrote: Unfortunately it seems there is a bug in the game, as most of the bandits we encountered the second time where already killed by us the first time.
So legends actually report the Spearman that killed me as dead (by my own hands). There are two people saved under the same name.

It seems like this is a bug caused by leaving a location and then coming back http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantis...ug_id=5106

Yep, that seems to be the bug I encountered as well. Thanks for spotting it.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

(October 24th, 2012, 00:58)mostly_harmless Wrote:
(October 23rd, 2012, 18:20)uberfish Wrote: Is the exalted ape... actually an ape?

No, its just a title, like holy ship (in Empiresstring) and I imagine Dalai Lama.

mh

wouldn't surprise me if DF generated a Great Llama.

sure I'll play and probably get horribly lost :D

Lets start again!
Harmless "Squashedcheese" of Fataldeath (what??!) destined to explore the world!
[Image: 12510091start.png]

I start out nicely near the NE of the kingdom!
Aim is to grab a few companions and then go exploring.
Naming all the villages, visiting the "missing" town in the NE, exploring the channel!

I will try to avoid fights for now, travelling light without heavy armor and weapons. Thats why I chose a lasher, as a whip is very lightweight.

mh
---

(October 24th, 2012, 06:16)uberfish Wrote: wouldn't surprise me if DF generated a Great Llama.

sure I'll play and probably get horribly lost :D

Cool. Let me finish my current adventure.
I actually met the "High Sky" Vicu Gamewing in the keep of Manydance.

mh
---

As I travelled to Manydance, the town in the NE of the kingdom, I strip the keep guard for companions and talk to the High Sky as well as the Lady of the keep. Turns out a niece of the lady became the boss of The Swift Society (the criminal organization in Freesquashes)!

Here the keep of Manydance.
[Image: 12510091manydance.png]

The plan is to travel east.
My 5 companions include 2 archers, which should come in handy with hunting for food in the wilds.

We spot an interesting structure to our south and approach them curiously ...

A large building with apparently only one entrance. While walking around it we startle a small group of ibexes. My archers manage to shoot one, which I butcher for food on the spot.
One of my companions decides that running after ibexes with an axe is more fun than exploring and leaves the crew.
[Image: 12510091tomb.png]
[Image: 12510092tomb.png]
We are explorers, so lets go in!
Uih, the the door is locked! (first time I see this). I can either bash down the door or pick the lock.
Lets try the lock picking.
Ok, we are in. A big hall with a single engraved slab in the middle. Thank Ulet I can read. (Literally! If you forgot to put points into reading, you cannot read engravings, potential missing out on learning some history)
[Image: 12510093tomb.png]

So, uhm, a locked door, a clear warning on that slab! This looks like a tomb! (It is a tomb. Tombs are in game structures) Anyone else scared?
Now do we go on or leave this place?

---

I guess leave it until you are stronger. Going to guess its scary in there

On the other hand, you said you are traveling light. If weight has anything to do with running speed in this game, you could go in and retreat if it's too nasty in there.

It would be interesting to see how a tomb (and such a big one at that) looks like...
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Yes, I know. "What kind of questions is this?" smile

Behind the door we find two dead peasants and stairs leading up.

Upstairs more rooms, one containing statues and bag containing burial gifts?
Very nice crafted items here, even a cut yellow diamond, which is quite valuable!
On the boots there are even artful images of books!
[Image: 12510094tomb.png]
"The Book: Problems and Solutions" sounds like a useful book. A must have. smile

The next room holds even more treasures. Everything is very skilfully crafted and decorated. Some more images of history.
[Image: 12510095tomb.png]

And peasant skeletons everywhere. Looks like special niches were prepared for the skeletons in the walls.

Then we enter some gallery. With yet more skeletons and what appears to be a huge burial chamber some floors below.
Looks like a sarcophagus in the middle of all those dead peasants and another slab that reads:
[Image: 12510097tomb.png]
So this is the tomb of Dothan Akkaratra, a dead lord! Important person I am sure, seeing how all those dead peasants and valuable gifts are buried with him here ...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
[Image: 12510096tomb.png]

He was a cheese maker and now he is a mummy! Run away, run away!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! THE ARM!!!! THE ARM!!!!
[Image: 12510098tomb.png]

UUUUUUUUURRRRRRGGGHHHHH!
Well, the dead rose and we all know that can't end well. And it doesn't. A very, very long battle log of mummies wrestling anf biting me later:
[Image: 12510099tomb.png]

Note to myself: Don't disturb the dead when the aim is to go exploring!
(It was my first run in with mummies and awoken dead in DF!

mh
---

(October 24th, 2012, 07:48)Jkaen Wrote: I guess leave it until you are stronger. Going to guess its scary in there
Very good advise!

(October 24th, 2012, 08:06)Kylearan Wrote: On the other hand, you said you are traveling light. If weight has anything to do with running speed in this game, you could go in and retreat if it's too nasty in there.

It would be interesting to see how a tomb (and such a big one at that) looks like...
Weight affects running speed, which is why threw away the 8 ibex meat! Still was not fast enough. Too deep inside the tomb.

It was my first visit to a proper tomb as well. I am quite impressed on how good these things are created.

And, Kylearan, for any more information on tombs, feel free to check them out yourself! :D (i.e. bless Numthur with your presence!)

mh
---