I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

LOL at the cheese maker mummy

I have updated the Post #5 with some more information about the game setup and an updated map.

Now to figure out how to best pass on the save. Several MB. (Rapidshare or something?)
And then I am curious about uberfish's adventures.

uberfish, feel free to ask any questions about setup or advise here or via PM.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Just found out that the current version does not actually include visit-able dwarven mountainhals, goblin towers and elven orchards. They are on the map, but without any real structure.
Next version will have goblin towers and elven orchards, I think.
I deleted the achievements post accordingly.
---

I created a Hero with the following stats

Uberfish Warospic "Phantomflanked"

Above Average Strength, Agility, Toughness, Endurance, Spatial, Kinesthetic, Social
Proficient Swordsman
Skilled Armour User
Adequate Shield User and Dodger
Novice Swimmer and Reader

No one in Fataldeath wanted to join Uberfish.

A short walk southwest there was another hamlet, and another hamlet... massive sprawl

Wanting to get away from all this Uberfish wandered northwest into the Swamp of Comets, as night fell he was attacked by a rattlesnake which tried to bite him, missed, and then ran away at lightning speed before he could retaliate.

He decided not to spend the night in the swamp and headed southwest, randomly finding himself in Empiresstrings. Curiously, he headed to the main (castle? temple?) where he found a Holy Ship lying on the floor and Nasnok Pundiklenge's corpse which hadn't been cleaned up.

He headed down into the catacombs where he found a dead goblin and traded out the copper shield he started with for an iron one lying in the pile there. After wandering around a while he found Harmless M. Shudsona's corpse and a large pile of stuff. He decided to loot the stuff and haul the corpse back up to the holy ship. He was getting thirsty again, and noticed the gloves he'd just found were stained with blood; strangely enough, this blood was sufficient to slake his thirst.

Back upstairs, he slept until the holy ship woke up. The holy ship wouldn't give him a quest but the merchant in the same room wanted the goblin overlord of the catacombs killed. How difficult could this be? Upstairs, Shibbi the Bowman agreed to join the quest.

Uberfish proceeded through the catacombs past various corpses until he eventually found some live goblins which he defeated easily with the help of his bowman ally.

Eventually running into a doorway where the goblin boss called him out...

He never saw the goblin boss, 3 arrows flew out of nowhere piercing his leather armour, inflicting mortal wounds and reducing his speed to a third.

As he tried to sidestep out of line of sight of the door, an goblin axeman casually wandered up and bashed his skull in.

Conclusion: Leather armour is crap!

So I'm trying this again with Uberfish Aspasutar "Plaidfate."

He started with an iron long sword (yay)

Travelling a couple of miles out of his starting hamlet he was ambushed by a bunch of goblins from the Unions of Dreading!

Unfortunately there was a skilled crossbowman in the bunch. You can guess what happened.

Time for ROUND 3

Yes! Liking it already!
Make sure to note the name and the positions of the hamlets, so I can complete the map!
Any pictures?

mh
---

lol so there aren't any pictures because I just die way too fast.

Uberfish III managed to not die immediately. He found a random fortress whose lord wouldn't give him any quests but the soldiers were happy to tag along for adventure. They wandered into the western swamp where they found a bandit camp. Uberfish got wounded and everyone generally got knocked around and was lying on the ground by the time the bandits were defeated, and he was unable to grasp his weapon properly. Then the ringleader showed up and charged him. He kited the ringleader around his friendly bowman who was lying in a pool of his own blood on the floor until the bowman managed to get a lethal shot off before he bled to death.

The 3 survivors headed back to civilization to sell the loot and hopefully buy some non-crap armour when they were ambushed by another group of bandits at a bridge. Unfortunately, despite having mostly recovered from their wounds by then, they were heavily outnumbered. A bandit hammerman whacked Uberfish in the right leg knocking him over (which is apparently a death sentence in this game, since your speed drops to extremely low numbers and the enemy will probably get a lethal attack in) and a spearman administered the coup de grace.

At least I didn't get killed by an archer this time.

Shops can only be found in towns (we have four here).
1 Gold coin = 3 Silver coins
1 Silver coin = 5 Copper coins

Coins often have engravings and images on them, I think.

Keep in mind that hauling a lot of loot will slow you down (depending on the weight). Dragging two silver great axes with you will be a recipe for disaster.
Sometimes it is helpful to throw away (at the enemy ideally) heavy stuff to increase "escape velocity".

mh
---

(October 24th, 2012, 06:34)mostly_harmless Wrote: I will try to avoid fights for now, travelling light without heavy armor and weapons. Thats why I chose a lasher, as a whip is very lightweight.

mh

Does companion speed not come into play?