I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

(October 25th, 2012, 16:05)mostly_harmless Wrote: Unfortunately my loyal companion wants to join my, but has no swimming skills whatsoever and drowns right next to me.

Looks like your companion's Analytical Ability and Patience have been Very Low, too... lol

What are these skills doing, anyway?
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Some of the attributes are meaningless in adventure mode as they are not used for anything yet. I think they are already implemented because dwarves use them in fortress mode.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Harmless Girlishbridge and his companion continue onwards and visit the nearby fortress "Netfigures".
[Image: 12512091netfigures.png]
[Image: 12512092netfigures.png]
Plenty of guards around, so I can increase the size of my exploring team. But first I will talk to the lord.

A lady actually with her many kids. And she has a surprising amount of treasure and well crafted equipment lying around. Lots of chests and bag with nice items. I look at them (some artwork engraved on them with historical events) but leave them where they are.

A short walk to the NW we find the twin tombs of Relieverise:
[Image: 12512091tombs.png]
An inner voice tells me to not force entry!!! wink

Further to the west we enter the hamlet of Lullcobra, to eat and drink a bit.
Talking to the locals, I get a particularly interesting quest, to avenge Uberfish Plaitfate.
(Hmmm, was he from Lullcobra initally?)
[Image: 12512091quest.png]

Hamlet of Duneyelled next. There is still some hours before sunset, so I visit the fortress of Stoodlyrics as well:
[Image: 12512091stoodlyrics.png]
A lot of good items hoarded here too.

As the night begins we reach the hamlet of Willfultrimmed.
Tomorrow is another day of travelling.
---

The next morning we travel onwards ...
Questedband, Creviceslid, Namedmobbed, Shovelperplexed, Caughtbrands, Sweetnessfingers.

The plan is to visit that central fortress and then maybe spend the night there or in Bentowns.

But "The Dusks of Murdering" has other plans:
[Image: 12512101ambush.png]
When I drop out of fast travel, I see my party of 4 surrounded by no less than 10! bandits. Who knows how many more in the fog.

Lets put that superhuman agility to work and run for it!

mh
---

I can probably play out this encounter, but then won't be able to play until Wednesday.
Anyone wants to give it a go? I am happy to pass on the save.

mh
---

Did I say 10 bandits?

Make that 13, as there are multiples on two tiles.
Among them the dwarven chieftess, Vost Motoanstrid, with an exceptional well crafted inventory:
[Image: 12512102ambush.png]
An elite crossbowman, a dwarven Mace Lord, a dwarven Pikemaster and a goblin Pikemaster. All with similar well crafted equipment. (The wiki is a bit ambiguous about the topic, but all better quality items apparently give combat bonus to varying degrees.)

I run north back to the hamlet Sweetnessfingers. At least one of my companions got killed while I still could see the place of the ambush. A number of bandits ran after me, but I was to fast for them.
I run far enough to be able to fast travel again. But got no luck. None of my companions seem to have made it out alive.

I put my souvenirs into a bag in Sweetnessfingers and retire my character. (I am not sure retired characters keep hold of their inventory. I hope the shark skull and the obsidian rock will be safe in the bag in one of the houses.)
If someone plays on, I would kindly ask to not re-activate this character as the players character. Recruiting him is fine though. He is quite quick and good with the whip.

His stuff (shark skull, obsidian rock and pouch with coins) is in a llama wool bag in this house (the lighter one, 2nd from the left (or bottom in game) ):
[Image: 12512101retire.png]

mh
---

I really like this thread. Keep it up! smile

I've heard about Dwarf Fortress, especially fortress mode, but these playthroughs really let me know more about how the game actually works imho ... and its fun to go adventuring around and whatnot.

One thing though ... how does the world generate its history before you create your first character/fortress?

Wikipedia Wrote:Tarn Adams [developer of Dwarf Fortress] has admitted that the intrepidness and occasional masochism of the community surprised even him.

lol

Requesting updates! smile

I might pick this up again tomorrow. Aim should be to complete the map with the names of the hamlets.

mh
---