Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

congrats on killing the vampire!

How did that work that a vampire was the leader of the civilization? Other people seemed really quick to attack him once you came around.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

It was my first vampire encounter in DF. I think you have to call him out for him/her to drop the disguise and be recognized by all.
I had a world once, were a demon escaped the underworld in the first years and became the leader of a goblin nation.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Picking up the game again and starting entering the catacombs underneath the keep. Quite confusing layout. After looking at lots of different statues I find two goblin skeletons. Hah. Maybe the overlord is already dead?
Exploring the catacombs ... exploring ... statues ... exploring ... becoming sloppy ... GETTING JUMPED BY GOBLINS!

Ouch I was too fast clicking my way through the rooms and missed on at least two turn of movement against the goblins. The two to my right are swordsman, with iron shields and copper swords in their right hands. I am not sure the dark green "g" is a third goblin, he is back in the fog.
I attack teh nearest goblin aiming at the weapon arm ...
... and miss.
Uce goes in with her tried tactic of tackling the opponent to the ground. I throw my boning knife at the prone goblin but he deflects the projectile. Uce then stabs his lower body and jumps away from the counterstrike.
The second goblin come into sword range and I manage to shatter the nail on the thumb!!! Lodging my sword firmly in the wound! ... Don't ask me. Unfortunately the goblin stabs Uce in the leg! That's not good!

Quite a hectic fight. Here the log up to the point where the first goblin dies:

Uce is between me and the remaining goblin. She has a broken nose and an open wound on the right leg. I have thrown both my knifes already. The remaining goblin is already bruised on the kidney from earlier. Lets finish him off.
Unfortunately the goblin injures Uce quite heavily before I can close the distance!
Here is the first part of the log.

Note how the goblin hurts Uce until I manage to severe his weapon hand! The shield arm follows somewhat later.

Uce has run away from this fight into a part of the room where I cannot see her! Not sure whether the injuries were too much and she wants safety or whether she spotted another threat. Since this goblin is no longer a threat and probably will die of his wounds sooner or later I decide to look after Uce!

Oh dear! The goblin bled to death straight away, good. But I go up the stairs and get rushed by another goblin and see Uces blood everywhere!! I check out the goblins stats. He is incredible muscular and unwounded.
And his spear is covered with Uce's blood!
And sure enough, the spear is credited with the kill of Uce!!! NOOOOOOO!
(She was 27 years old by the way.)

Now, what do I do? Run or fight? Run or fight?

mh
---

LOL the combat in this game is seriously messed up.

I decided to fight! Why? Not because I want to avenge Uce, but because I won't be able to outrun a muscular goblin in this maze!

A bad idea, as my first attack is blocked and his spear pierces my arm and let me loose my shield!

Not looking too good!

My only chance is to bring him down and then run, I think.
I aim a good swing at his foot. But ...

Both my arms are cut open. I am in extreme pain and bleeding heavily. I have lost my weapon and shield naturally.

Lets see if I can go down kicking and biting!

Well, I certainly went down. But all my kicking and biting attempts were blocked. The goblin pretty much slaughtered me to death here.

And that's it for Harmless Cebetislur!
Should I mention that Df is pretty much played in ironman mode?

The possible problem here are that I did not start with a high enough social awareness ability to allow for two followers and that I "wasted" one follower on Uce. She was pretty good with her tackling and knife but she had no armor and was not a trained soldier.
And of course you don't start as a peasant if you want to live for very long, because you cannot use many skills and abilities during character creation.

I will do a short summary of Harmless Cebetislur later.
Are people interested in me continuing these stories?
Should I start in the same civilisation? As a peasant or a more skillful character?
Any comments on the format of the reports?

mh
---

uberfish Wrote:LOL the combat in this game is seriously messed up.
Not really messed up. :D
It is very simple to use but allows for many options where to aim and how to strike. It will give you an indication what the best options are as well.

There are rumours of legendary biters that lost all their limbs and travelled by rolling on the floor. I lost a leg once with a dwarven adventure, but managed to hobble to one of my earlier fortresses and grabbed a golden crutch from there. :D

mh
---

This is what the world knows about Harmless Cebetislur:

Most notable is the killing of the vampire, I think.

Here is what the world knows of Uce, Strappingraptor's sister in arms for half a day:

In relation to those rather short "legends" here is the history of Nasnok, the vampire I killed:

She led a normal life it seems, becoming the law-giver in the year 62 and then got cursed to be a vampire in 65 by a god called Ulet Bellsflowers! After that it seems to be a lot of killing and waging wars against the goblins until I put a stop to it!

mh
---

It is a shame that Harmless Cebetislur's life thread was cut out to soon... he had potencial to become a hero of legend!

I would enjoy to continue reading about your heroes' adventures in this world. I think you are skilled enough to play any character background, so maybe you could continue with heroes that begin form humble beginnings. It would be helpful if you spawned in the same general region so we lurkers could keep a more clear understanding of your world.

Ok. There is no problem to start in the same general region, as during character creation you have to chose a civilisation. I will just stick with the Slippery Confederation. However the hamlet I spawn in will be randomly selected, I think. But that's fine.
Humble beginnings basically says Peasant start, which is the most difficult one due to the limited points you can use to spec up your character in the beginning.

As for my skill. I have played many fortresses and maybe two dozen adventures with the latest version. So, enough to find my way around, but hardly professional.

For my next attempt, I am thinking maybe a bowman. The idea being, that I can strike from the distance and run away better.

And welcome to the forums Adbekunkus!

mh
---

I too hope you continue. I liked the adventure a lot, but do miss having any sort of out-of-character explanation posts, like we got in the early FFH games for example.