I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

Yeah, if you could explain a bit about the game and how to play it (for people like me who've never played it) then it would be nice
"You want to take my city of Troll%ng? Go ahead and try."

sunrise089 Wrote:I too hope you continue. I liked the adventure a lot, but do miss having any sort of out-of-character explanation posts, like we got in the early FFH games for example.

Twinkletoes89 Wrote:Yeah, if you could explain a bit about the game and how to play it (for people like me who've never played it) then it would be nice

I filled in the first post with some more info and explanations.
I will also attempt to write more OOC stuff as well.

Preparing the next adventurer now!

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Glad to see this is being continued, mh!
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I've never played adventure mode. As much as I want to try fortress mode with the new evil biomes, I don't have enough time to fight the inevitable zombie uprising from the butcher's shop.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

Barely two weeks have passed in game time between the tragic death of Harmless Strappingraptors and this day when

Harmless Puzzlehorn

decides to roam the wilderness!

[INDENT]{OOC: The names of everything, cities, entities, regions, people are randomly generated. I decided to just change the forename to Harmless for all adventurers and keep whatever family name and nickname the game throws at me. Puzzlehorn is awesome!}[/INDENT]

Puzzlehorn is skilled in using the bow and not much else. He decided to venture out and seek new thrills shortly after a young man called, Harmless Strappingraptors passed through here. Two weeks since then and Puzzlehorn has its equipment together. An iron bow and a quiver full of silver arrows, which weigh a ton!

[INDENT]{OOC: There is a Speed reading on the main screen and in the stats, which is among other things affected by how much stuff you drag around. Those 31 silver arrows weigh 48 in game units, which is a lot. In comparison the iron bow weighs 2 units. Harmless Strappingraptors had a set out speed of 1200 or such, before he encumbered himself with leather and metal armor. My idea of an archer is to not use heavy clothing and be able to run from a fight. Not going to happen with those many arrows.}[/INDENT]

Lets refresh my memory of my home hamlet and talk to a few people before setting out.

mh
---

Some UI explanation:

The centered @ (in this case light brown) is your character. I have one follower which is the other @. Its color is blue indicating its profession (axeman). Followers will follow you (gasp!) and attack enemies and even wildlife on its own accord. Sometimes helpful, sometimes not. There is no ordering around followers (yet?).
The ground is mostly dirt and shown by a variety of . , ;
The ~ are fields
To my left is a 3x3 square of + with a hole in the middle. This is a well with a stone block border. Here you can interact with the barrel, lower it, raise it full and drink and fill your waterskin.
The grey tiles are all in the fog, while the yellow tile are visible to me. Note that visibility is affected by abstacles like houses and trees for example. The houses are often filled with people and sometimes with furniture.
U - human civilians
Ü - human soldiers
face like ascii - dwarf
g - goblin
(No more for now - no spoilers!). Note that lower or upper case indicates the size of a creature. A small c could be a crab, while a large C could be a Cougar. You can see lots of humans and one goblin with a violet background. They are invisible to me right now and indicate last known position.
The black stuff is the real fog. Whether the hamlet and all its houses I visited so far are still grey to me (not black) when I return in say a week, depends on how good my characters memory is!

As I move along, my field of vision will change. Fog and darkness and being inside a building with a closed door will limit field of view naturally. That's why travelling during the night is not recommended.

You move around and interact with the world with the keyboard. No mouse support.

EDIT: Ah yes, the filled up grey tiles to the top and left with all those upward pointing triangle indicate solid walls and upward slopes. So basically that is uphill and the next higher Z-level.

mh
---

I raid the local cabinets for some basic leather clothes and armor to substitute my rope reed garments.

I also talk to some people.
Here the most notable excerpts:

So Empiresstrings is our capital to the north. (Yes I know we know that, but Puzzlehorn doesn't. wink )
There is a troublemaker called Umcos Danglequake to the east and a vampire, Kina Romancedriddles in Freesquashes to our south.
Those are my quests for now.
Furthermore (among many other not so interesting tidbits about the surroundings) I learn about a goblin, Song Menaceseed, in Echoentrances.

Apparently its a dangerous world out there.
Lets see if someone is willing to join me on my adventure.

I manage to persuade an axeman, Pethit Oledthimeth or "Friendcrystals" to join me. He wields a iron great axe and is overall incredibly muscular. But has white hair already.
He has an iron shield, an iron breastplate and an iron cap as protection.

[INDENT]{OOC: All the people I spoke to have pale taupe hair (except the old ones?) and peach skin. I think people of the same region are created by the world generator with similar looks. Neat!]

{OOC: From my experience with the fight with the vampire and the impressive performance of my two muscular lady allies and the fail of the weak holy ship, I checked several follower candidates on their body description before asking them to join me.}
[/INDENT]

[INDENT]{OOC: Each layer of clothing offers some protection. Obviously leather is better than alpaca wool. Metal armor are even better, with the various metals having an influence as well. Iron is pretty good and accessible.}
[/INDENT]

I also convince a muscular crossbowwoman, Taba Larothuda "Squeezehips", to join me. She sports an iron crossbow, a bronze cap (bronze is the next best thing after iron), a iron breastplate and a quiver full of iron bolts.

[INDENT]{OOC: The idea of followers especially early on is pure cannon fodder and when they die, supplier of equipment. I hope the game allows me at some later release to marry someone called Squeezehips! :D
I did not reduce my Social Awareness attribute during character creation this time, which allows me to get the standard two followers at the start. }
[/INDENT]

Three is company, so lets head off. With the such strong companions on my side, I think we will try our chances with the outlaw, Umcos Danglequake. So lets find this place Gerbilmopped!

I drink from the well before leaving.

[INDENT]{OCC: You will get hungry and thirsty and drowsy from lack of food, drink and sleep. The you have to drink regularly and eat regularly or else you will die eventually! Many adventurers strayed to far from rivers and towns and were never heard of again. The game tells you about your rising needs of food, drink and sleep. I guess drowsiness from exertion (fights and long days) affects your stats temporarily.}
[/INDENT]

mh
---

Did your civilization elect a new leader since the vampire got killed?

uberfish Wrote:Did your civilization elect a new leader since the vampire got killed?

I heard there was a hanging chad incident, and the courts will have to decide between a werewolf and a zombie lord.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I pass the hamlet of Bentowns and refresh myself at the well. The people here are also concerned about the outlaw and the vampire, as well as another outlaw:

I meet a bowman, but he declines to join my group (as expected, not enough fame).

[INDENT]{OOC: You can travel on the proper screen and see each tile and run into huntable wildlife. But you also run into trees a lot. There is a fasttravel option on the regional/worldmap, that automatically stops you when danger or sites are around.}[/INDENT]

My party proceeds further east towards where the outlaw is supposed to camp. I try to shoot a mongoose and a barn owl, but fail miserable.
Then carefully advancing towards the target area, we spot a spearwoman! (The Ü to our SE)
She is not the wanted outlaw. But since she hangs around the general area we suspect she belongs to the outlaw's gang.
Taba Squeezehips fires a bolt which gets blocked.

The idea is to keep firing bolts and arrows at her while Pethit Friendcrystals engages in melee action!

I have tried to approach the camp from the NW, so it seems that this spearwoman is the first sentry and we hopefully won't get flanked.
The spearwoman has a shield but no metal armor.

While it takes ages for me to shoot my first arrow (and miss), the spearwoman blocks another of Taba's bolts. Pethit attempts the first attack but it is blocked.

[INDENT]{OOC: Here my speed hinders me, or my skills as a bowman. In the in-game time it takes me to shoot an arrow, the spearwoman and Pethit cover multiple tiles.}
[/INDENT]

Apparently alerted by the fight another bandit shows up. A pikewoman!

I shoot another arrow, which gets blocked (but was the first on target!).
In the meantime all this happens: frown

Pethit is pretty much dead here, as the Pikewoman has closed the distant as well.
Now one option now would be to drop my heavy quiver and run for it.

---